Which hooker broke this guy's heart?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Gilmore
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Which hooker broke this guy's heart?

Post by Gilmore »

The figures come from the annual UN Human Development Index of all member nations. I'm informed because I teach it to Geography students. Adult literacy is one of the criteria used, in addition to GDP per capita and life expectancy.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Gilmore wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:51 am The figures come from the annual UN Human Development Index of all member nations. I'm informed because I teach it to Geography students. Adult literacy is one of the criteria used, in addition to GDP per capita and life expectancy.
i think it is higher than that mate (fm my own observation), but i do not know when and how the survey was conducted by UN, they use any specifics to identify literacy?
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

Thanks for the link! I've been reading more of Asienreisender's shit. It's really shitty scheisse!

Image http://www.asienreisender.de/who.html

"Who's behind Asienreisender?"
I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

This guy has found his meaning in life though. Bet he's never bored!

If I had a view like this guy I'd probably save thousands of dollars a year. Instead of snuggling up with cuties in girlie bars I could have been bargaining down old ladies in the markets on their tofu prices. No Farang rate for me!

Some stuff he writes is semi coherent and legit though.
Instead developing her potentials as a growing kid in the age where learning is easy, this girl has to sell bird's freedom to bypassers. It's seen as a good deed, adding good kharma, to buy a caged bird and let it free. Soon later, the bird will be caught and sold again. The bird's don't last long...
Houses along a tributary of Kah Bpow River in Koh Kong. There is more garbage in the stream than water. Imagine the stench - or no, sorry, better don't do that! The surroundings are all a big mess, chaotic, neglected, filthy, unplanned... nobody cares for the consequences of his/her deeds. It's the habitat in which the next generation grows up.
people set inmiddle of a neighbourhood a tractor tyre in fire. Nobody seems to find that odd.
I just wouldn't put this down to "inherent Khmerness" as this guy and not so few others do. He goes off the rails quite often.
However, slum or not, the houses are everywhere surrounded by an enormous and also growing amount of filth and rubbish. The environment people create around themselves are an outer representation of their inner constitution. It gives a reliable mirror of how it looks inside their skulls.
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
phil
Tourist
Australia

Post by phil »

That post was neither funny, interesting, informative or informed.

It blatantly failed to recognize that present widespread illiteracy is almost certainly a by-product of the bad years when the literate heads were commonly removed. To be illiterate is rarely through personal choice I'd think.

It further fails to note that so many Khmer, even if illiterate are not necessarily functionally illiterate. Very many have brilliant verbal linguistic skills and abilities in a wide range of languages.

More: very many indeed have literacy in both Khmer and Roman script - (our alphabet), yet few of us can claim that in our own skill-sets.

Good on those kids who laughed at the cashed-up farang strutting about like a latter-day Raj in anticipation of being kow-towed to as if he were some sort of superior being. They've seen it before and applied well deserved humour to that gilded lily.

It's hard to remember the aim of the game is to drain the swamp when you're up to your arse in alligators.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

I think the following about sums him up: :D

I remember years ago a friend quoted to me his observation on living in South East Asia, he said: "Living in South East Asia is like a mirror, it reflects who you really are. Sometimes you look into that mirror and what you see is not fu**ing nice!"

“If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole.” Raylan Givens
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

These are the figures from the CIA World Factbook...and we all know they're never wrong:

Literacy
definition: age 15 and over can read and write
total population: 77.2%
male: 84.5%
female: 70.5% (2015 est.)
AmericanSteve
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by AmericanSteve »

Different people express their culture shock in different ways and its always one-sided. His rant about family violence could just as easily be applied to the USA for example. I enjoyed reading the article though, I have to admit.
To gladly teach and gladly learn.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

that genius wrote:These are the figures from the CIA World Factbook...and we all know they're never wrong:

Literacy
definition: age 15 and over can read and write
total population: 77.2%
male: 84.5%
female: 70.5% (2015 est.)
Interesting. Got any facts on Oz , the u.k. or u.s.?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Most people born here between the late 60s to late 80s probably never went to school. Even now many kids here give up after a few years. Lets see what the high school graduation rate is this year. A few years ago when they started to crack down on cheating the pass rate went down to aprox. 30%.?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic