Thailand's Legendary Marijuana

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Thailand's Legendary Marijuana

Post by phuketrichard »

started back in the mid 60's with Acapulco Gold and than Thai sticks hit the east coast....
For decades, Thailand was one of America’s most resolute allies in the war on drugs. After zero tolerance policies left the Kingdom with the highest rate of incarceration in Asia and a methamphetamine (ya ba) epidemic that not even the most draconian measures could stop, Justice Minister Paiboon Koomchaya shocked the nation in 2016 when he conceded that “the world has lost the war on drugs.” Not only did he suggest legalizing methamphetamine, Koomchaya urged his countrymen to view the drug epidemic through the lens of public health, rather than law enforcement. Today, many hope that this new laissez-faire approach will lead to the legalization of the legendary marijuana that was once among the Kingdom’s most famous and valuable exports.

The first Thai marijuana to reach the United States came in the 1960s via the Army Post Office. The difference between Thai marijuana and most Vietnamese and Cambodian cannabis, was the difference between bathtub corn whiskey and single malt scotch. In 1967, one amazed DEA agent to called it “the Cuban cigar of the marijuana world.

“Who can forget the first strange-looking Thai Sticks a decade ago! Dense, seedless, stronger than a bull elephant. Years before sophisticated sinsemilla techniques were incorporated into the crop management of U.S. growers,” wrote High Times magazine, the journal of record for pot connoisseurs, “the Thais were, without effort, turning out a superior product.” What sold for $3 per kilo at the farm in Issan, easily fetched $4,000 a kilo in any city in the United States in the early 1970s.
Last week, a private company called the Thai Cannabis Corporation announced the start of a five-year cannabis project that will cultivate 5,000 hectares (12,355 acres) of the plant in the next five years. The Royal Project Foundation will oversee this effort and Maejo University will provide research support. Thai Cannabis Corporation’s objective is to establish a low-cost model to grow, harvest, and process cannabis plants into oils and extracts. Initially, they will focus on breeding high CBD (cannabidiol) cannabis strains that contain minimal amounts of THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) in order to comply with the laws of Thailand. “The mission of the Royal Project Foundation is to research and develop appropriate technology to sustainably improve the quality of life for Thailand’s highland communities. I quite agree with the Thai Cannabis Project,” said the director of the Royal Project Foundation Dr. Vijit Thanormthin.

https://thediplomat.com/2018/04/thailan ... marijuana/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Thailand's Legendary Marijuana

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

First weed I ever had was from a Thai Buddha Stick back in the '70s. It used to come in on the ships and they would pass it to fishermen on the way in to port. I remember it being so strong that I later wondered if it was dusted with opium. It sure was a strong muscle relaxant. I first visited Thailand in '87 and got some stuff that was about as good. Most of the stuff I got up country was only average but good enough and real cheap. No worries in those days, girls 50b, whiskey 50b, rooms 50b. I was there for 3 months and spent very little. Glory days. That guy with the black glasses in the background looks like he's taking a big huff.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
tireswang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Thailand's Legendary Marijuana

Post by tireswang »

It had/has a distinctive flavor, aroma and fanastic effects. Eat like a growing teenager and sleep like a baby. I miss It. 8)
~
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic