Best way to send money FROM Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
james1234
Expatriate
Belgium

Best way to send money FROM Cambodia

Post by james1234 »

Hey folks,

I know about, and read the topic about sending money to Cambodia. I want to find a solution for the best way to send weekly payments from Cambodia to a foreign bank account.

I am setting up a small project and one of my small partners needs to pay me for goods every week about 50 to 80$. I don't want him to send bigger amount because I do not want him to get into temptation of keeping too much money on his hand and keep the risk small for me.

I have looked at many many different ways and am still waiting for some questions to the customer service of some money transfer services.
The biggest problem is that many services do not include Cambodia. Yes for ATM use, but not for paying FROM.
So no Revolut, Exchange4free, XE and several others. They don't offer services FROM Cambodia only TO.

- Western Union charges 4,99 for 50, and 10,00 for 80,00 but all TO Cambodia and could be acceptable but I am still waiting for a reply.
- Paypal offers a service here in Europe to pay without fee to friends. As Mercheant it would costs me appr 3% plus 0,35. Would be 1,85, would be great. Still waiting on their reply if its possible from Cambodia.
- There is also something like Wing, but mostly to pay TO Cambodia. Waiting for there reply as well.
- There should be also some Cambodian and Vietnamese money exchange services, but could not find them on internet.

So if anyone has ideas or experience with this please advise. :please:

THX
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Best way to send money FROM Cambodia

Post by bolueeleh »

think u better stick to western union, coz if u do bank TT, most banks banks charges 2% or 10$ minimum, or open a bank account here and send the ATM card to ur partner, ATMs overseas charges 2$ to 6$ per withdrawal
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

You need to specify which country you are sending cash to...these things are country-specific
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

Transferwise also not possible ?
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
james1234
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by james1234 »

Tranferwise, same problem, TO Cambodia, not FROM.

It will be a Hong Kong bank account later (is for HK company but HK bank account takes time to set up), first (don't laugh) a Georgian bank account because these are the cheapest and easiest to set up without big risk. But could be another ofshore bank as well. Don't want to have the money in Europe!

Till now I think that paypal is the best option, but don't know yet if it is possible to pay INTO a Paypal account from Cambodia. I know you can not take out money of Paypal into a Cambodian bank account. :shock:
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

Use Western Union... they now transfer direct to bank accounts. Their exchange rates are close to international banking/exchange rates and their online fees are not bad.
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
james1234
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by james1234 »

I got an answer from Western Union:

thank you for contacting us, in order to send money you need to visit a Western Union location.
Talking about the fees unfortunately we can not provide you with this information, as the amount may vary depending on various factors such as: sender and beneficiary location or shipping method. To know the amount, we ask you to visit one of our agencies, where the agent will gladly provide you with the total charges to be paid.

So, has to go via agent. It will certainly be more expensive. And nice way to say nothing. I will be in Siem Reap in September and check out, but I am not hopefull about WU. My bet is on Paypal.
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

james1234 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:32 pm I got an answer from Western Union:

thank you for contacting us, in order to send money you need to visit a Western Union location.
Talking about the fees unfortunately we can not provide you with this information, as the amount may vary depending on various factors such as: sender and beneficiary location or shipping method. To know the amount, we ask you to visit one of our agencies, where the agent will gladly provide you with the total charges to be paid.

So, has to go via agent. It will certainly be more expensive. And nice way to say nothing. I will be in Siem Reap in September and check out, but I am not hopefull about WU. My bet is on Paypal.
Do it online.... easy and cheap
Equipment
Tourist
Netherlands

Post by Equipment »

If you have ABA bank.. people here can deposit cash into any ABA account for free and anonymous. They just visit any ABA machine and insert cash and bank number. Than you go to the ATM in any country and just cash it out..

or you can use internet banking and send from ABA to another account..

don't forget to inform your bank that you are going to travel to a certain country otherwise they could freeze account or atm card..

I think Wing also has services.. but most is from other countries to cambodia

Wing International Money Transfer (IMT) – (Inbound business) brings Cambodia new destinations for remittance services.
​​​​We now provide inbound remittance services to more than 50 countries including Thailand, Korea, Japan, Australia, USA, France, Malaysia and Singapore.
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

Wing is very good... but you have to have an active Cambodian phone number to do on line with them
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic