Happy May Day, everyone!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Luigi
Expatriate

Re: Happy May Day, everyone!

Post by Luigi »

I grew up only knowing it as a distress call. Mayday! Mayday! Mayday! :popcorn:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Luigi wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 4:15 pm I grew up only knowing it as a distress call. Mayday! Mayday! Mayday! :popcorn:
Consensus is that it came from the French m'aidez - help me.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

We should flag this thread.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

As whose flag?
What do you have in your genius mind?
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Definitely a white flag...Italy/ France ;)
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Article from the Asia Times on Cambodia's union situation in May 2018.

How Cambodia killed its unions
http://www.atimes.com/article/how-cambo ... ts-unions/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

that genius wrote:Yup, in fact we have America to thank for the 8-hour day, 40-hour week.

Yet their govt has offered the memory the least protection

In fact, Americans have far fewer rights/public holidays under their Labour Law than Cambodians.

Isn't unfettered capitalism just soooo cool?
You’re kidding, right? Trying to argue that the Kingdom of Wonder has more governmental regulations and control than America?

Capitalism assumes that each person has an equal chance in the open market. Each person is a small businessman making it on his own (or not). What you are incorrectly referring to is umm.. mainland China, where the rich can bulldoze villages for a shopping mall, factory, or dam, and the poor get nothing.

Don’t worry. The current leaders are studying mainland China well and will replicating the Khmer version of that success story sometime soon. Your utopia is coming.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

1. How many public holidays does the US have that every worker gets off or receives compensation for?

2. The middle class in America is disappearing, many people work 2 or even 3 jobs

3. I suggest you read The Labour Law of Cambodia...but before that, sharpen up your critical reading skills and analysis

Simply because a law exists does not mean it is implemented/enforced...but if you had read my post properly, you would have inferred that.

An equal chance in the open market...yeah, right.

Capitalism does that in theory, maybe...'unfettered' capitalism does exactly the opposite. But you chose once again, (or perhaps you don't notice these things) to ignore the qualifying adjective to suit your sheeple/nationalistic agenda.

How many poor people have ever run for president?

Why?

I have frequently stated that the next global power will be worse...that doesn't mean I should worship the last clowns, like some people.

They had a chance, they blew it because of greed and serving less than 2% instead of the majority. What you see happening now is their fault.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic