The Purple Hotel

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

The Purple Hotel

Post by Artful Dodger »

Most in PP would know it, the Purple hotel opposite Soyra Mall next door to heart of darkness.
Did any of you watch it being built? I think it is 14 floors but only as 4 support pillars of 6 rods each of 12 mm reo-bar in boxed concrete. Not withstanding that, the concrete was all mixed by hand about 1 cubic metres at a time, but different recipes. My bet is that in under 10 years it will have severe cracks and likely be condemned not long thereafter. I doubt very much it will still be standing in 20 years.
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: The Purple Hotel

Post by Duncan »

A new coat of paint,, maybe green,,, a new owner and the problem will be solved. Check the building out again after Cambodia has had its
first ever earthquake
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Wonder how far the pilings go down in the mud? 3 metres?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Artful Dodger wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:38 pm I doubt very much it will still be standing in 20 years.
Considering all the boom-boom that must be going on in there, I give it 5 to 7.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I saw the other tall building a few doors down as it went up. It's "New Castle Guest House" on Google street view but maybe has changed since. It was basically just an extension on a normal 2 story building that kept going up and expanding back.
Not withstanding that, the concrete was all mixed by hand about 1 cubic metres at a time, but different recipes.

I remember that ELT orange building on 136 east of Norodom getting built the same way. They had a bucket on a pulley made out of old tied-together ropes and basically built as you described, and it's a pretty big building. It seems to have lasted 12 years or so, but I doubt it's too sound. I don't remember seeing too many concrete pump trucks around then, so most buildings were constructed like that.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Question from SHV where they are doing a lot of building on swamplands.
In case of building collapse, is it better to be up top or on the ground floor ? :o :mrgreen:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

To be fair, although I've seen some pretty questionable constructions here the only ones I've ever seen collapsing have been on river banks.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Anchor Moy wrote:Question from SHV where they are doing a lot of building on swamplands.
In case of building collapse, is it better to be up top or on the ground floor ? :o :mrgreen:
Lol. I'm guessing top, but maybe you're a goner either way.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

Years ago, PUC had a new building constructed. The foundations were designed for a 5 story build but they constructed a 10 story building anyway. The city engineers wouldn't sign off on it. At that point, teachers were taxed to pay for the school's fuckup. Later it was sold as a hotel, and is still standing today.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Heng Heng Heng wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 7:03 am At that point, teachers were taxed to pay for the school's fuckup.
Classy move. :bow:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic