The Purple Hotel

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The Purple Hotel

Post by timmydownawell »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:28 pm I saw the other tall building a few doors down as it went up. It's "New Castle Guest House" on Google street view but maybe has changed since. It was basically just an extension on a normal 2 story building that kept going up and expanding back.
Not withstanding that, the concrete was all mixed by hand about 1 cubic metres at a time, but different recipes.

I remember that ELT orange building on 136 east of Norodom getting built the same way. They had a bucket on a pulley made out of old tied-together ropes and basically built as you described, and it's a pretty big building. It seems to have lasted 12 years or so, but I doubt it's too sound. I don't remember seeing too many concrete pump trucks around then, so most buildings were constructed like that.
They've recently been extending that building too, I think they have added three more storeys. :shock:
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Artful Dodger wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:38 pm Most in PP would know it, the Purple hotel opposite Soyra Mall next door to heart of darkness.
Did any of you watch it being built? I think it is 14 floors but only as 4 support pillars of 6 rods each of 12 mm reo-bar in boxed concrete. Not withstanding that, the concrete was all mixed by hand about 1 cubic metres at a time, but different recipes. My bet is that in under 10 years it will have severe cracks and likely be condemned not long thereafter. I doubt very much it will still be standing in 20 years.
Check the hotel opposite of Candy bar on 136. Has been in place for what? Two years? More large cracks in it then Cambodian soil at the end of the dry season.
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

Artful Dodger wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:38 pm Most in PP would know it, the Purple hotel opposite Soyra Mall next door to heart of darkness.
Did any of you watch it being built? I think it is 14 floors but only as 4 support pillars of 6 rods each of 12 mm reo-bar in boxed concrete. Not withstanding that, the concrete was all mixed by hand about 1 cubic metres at a time, but different recipes. My bet is that in under 10 years it will have severe cracks and likely be condemned not long thereafter. I doubt very much it will still be standing in 20 years.
I used to have the odd beer in GSM on my monthly visit to PP. Watched them build that place from start when they just added on to an existing building. No extra piling and pillars at ground level. Should have stopped at the 4th floor. I reckon It's a catastrophe waiting to happen!. Would love to see a western quality structural survey on it.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

The majority of houses /buildings in Cambodia were built like that, by hand mixed concrete, until a few years ago when they started the ready-mix business.
The mix was fairly consistent and they completed a section at a time.
The problem starts when they only complete half a pillar then add onto it next day. it still contains the reo but loses strength.

Half of Cambodia is in the same boat but if the correct mix is used it is very safe.
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

Arget wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 12:27 pm The majority of houses /buildings in Cambodia were built like that, by hand mixed concrete, until a few years ago when they started the ready-mix business.
The mix was fairly consistent and they completed a section at a time.
The problem starts when they only complete half a pillar then add onto it next day. it still contains the reo but loses strength.

Half of Cambodia is in the same boat but if the correct mix is used it is very safe.
correct mix ?? I watch concrete being mixed where they 'measure' the mix by different shovels, not a full standard bucket which might at least be close. Once I watched concrete being mixed in SHV in a hotel construction. The count was different each mix. (a.k.a. different recipe)
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

concrete mixer trucks from cement factory supposedly are better, they call it power, it can range from 20 to 40, basically it just mean more cement powder instead of just water, also they will do a random sampling and a load test on the sample few days later after it has hardened, mostly they just use admixture for water reduction or plastercizer, saw the containers on their factory site, most of them use the brand silax from vietnam
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

With the Purple Hotel, they hand mixed the concrete for the pillars, but had cement trucks attend for the floors. I guess that means when it collapses, it will look like a neat and tidy layered concrete sandwich.
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

For some reason the buildings don’t seem to crack or fall down. They are all sitting on a huge sponge and until the water table starts dropping they will be fine. The small Khmer brick is very light so external and internal walls are not heavy. And the paint is very thin.
Cambodia has no earthquakes or strong winds so the buildings won’t fall down. I have seen worse buildings in the West. Now we have hundreds of buildings clad with flammable panels.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Cement trucks, that reminds me. I heard an expat teacher do a stand-up comedy at Sharkys recently, he cracked some good jokes based on the way that his students pronounced cement trucks.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

You should buy it, offer free accommodation to Chinese passport holders, sit back in GSM, drink cheap beer, and wait for it to collapse.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic