P.P to SHV - best travel time

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

P.P to SHV - best travel time

Post by Artful Dodger »

I have had a few tourists try to tell me that they did P.P. to SHV on a rented motorbike in under 2 hours. (I say B.S.)
I had a lunatic hired car driver one time who only knew 2 speeds (flat out and stopped) and that was about 3.5 hours.
That damned congested traffic from P.P. for the first 20 klms is a killer on any proposed speed. (20 klms = 1 hour). Buddy of mine has a huge Honda Goldwing and says his best time is just over 3 hours.

What is your best time doing that run?
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: P.P to SHV - best travel time

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Artful Dodger wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:30 pm I have had a few tourists try to tell me that they did P.P. to SHV on a rented motorbike in under 2 hours. (I say B.S.)
I had a lunatic hired car driver one time who only knew 2 speeds (flat out and stopped) and that was about 3.5 hours.
That damned congested traffic from P.P. for the first 20 klms is a killer on any proposed speed. (20 klms = 1 hour). Buddy of mine has a huge Honda Goldwing and says his best time is just over 3 hours.

What is your best time doing that run?
During KNY we got from Victory Hill > Central Market in 2.5 hours in an Lexus SUV,
but we left at 4am and got to the Market at 6:30am picked up some stuff then carried on to Kampong Cham province to my friends village to celebrate the KNY

the roads were obviously dead at that time, the worst part of the journey is between the garment factories and the city centre, its taken 2 hours to do the last 10km before
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
joelightcloud
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by joelightcloud »

From say Phnom Penh International Airport, leaving at 6am gets me there 9am when driving a car. Never done it in less than 3 hrs, any other time of day takes 4 hrs.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

3hrs is doable 3 or 4yrs back and during night time, now big bus 6hrs, minibus 5hrs, private taxi 4 to 4.5hrs during daylight, just too many trucks now
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

so true... oh so many trucks slowing everything down on a crappy 2 lane road
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Did 2.5 on a bike, but left at 11:30 pm

Not advisable
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

in day time... I think impossible to do in 2 hours.... If same distance in inland Australia, could do it in an hour given there are no speed limits on a good quality wide highway.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Worst trip I remember from SHV to PP was 6.5 hours in a tired minivan with multiple pick ups, including almost 2 hours to depose the other passengers all over PP in traffic jams before we got dropped off. :evil:
Also, had a very bad trip with Giant Ibis who had the minivan loaded with a tour group of western tourists who took over an hour to eat lunch, and the driver was driving extra-slow so as not to alarm them. That took about 5.5 hours. We were the only ones not on the tour, so had to suck it up. We had paid an extra $3 each for the Giant Ibis stream-lined service to get to PP on time. :facepalm:
Problem was that we had another minivan lined up to leave PP at 1pm for the provinces, so it really sucked. We arrived an hour late. Minivan waited for us though. :thumb:
Best time 3h15mn if I remember, but that was a while ago.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

giant ibis used to be good, but their started picking up side jobs as well, worst was 168, their driver packed us like sardines so i got up and jumped at the driver him and other threw me out of the bus, i tried to take some photos of the plate number thats when the driver tried to run me over, i decided to call company headquarters

after that incident i learned 2 things abt KoW, nobody gives a shit abt anything remotely difficult to do and everything you have to depend on yourself in this shithole
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

bolueeleh wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:06 pm giant ibis used to be good, but their started picking up side jobs as well, worst was 168, their driver packed us like sardines so i got up and jumped at the driver him and other threw me out of the bus, i tried to take some photos of the plate number thats when the driver tried to run me over, i decided to call company headquarters

after that incident i learned 2 things abt KoW, nobody gives a shit abt anything remotely difficult to do and everything you have to depend on yourself in this shithole
Yeah, I have the phone number for the Giant Ibis general manager somewhere. Strangely enough he was not in his PP office when I went to complain, and was never available to take my calls. :shrug: TIC.

So, bye bye Giant Ibis - more money for less service.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic