School in Phnom Penh is Starting to Ask for Criminal Background Checks for English Teachers in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

School in Phnom Penh is Starting to Ask for Criminal Background Checks for English Teachers in Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

From Expats and Locals Living in Phnom Penh:

"Alright, this is something new (for me and maybe others) to stress out about. My skool has announced that The Cambodian Ministry (could be Labour or Education, can't remember) is now requiring that we produce criminal background checks from our home countries. It's another of those things that has been around but not enforced before. I am Canadian and have been here for ten years and can't afford to fly to Canada and back just to get this done. Yes it can be done, apparently, but in Canada we need a full set of fingerprints, and it has to be in digital format. There are companies that will take your ink fingerprints and scan them and then send to the RCMP for you, but I have to find somewhere here to do the ink fingerprints. So, does anyone know where in Phnom Penh (or anywhere) that will do this for me? Arghh! (Sorry if this is in the wrong forum... it's not really a visa issue because my visa and wp are good for a year, but it could be visa-related later.) Thanks for any ideas."

Some noteworthy comments:

Now this is worded for Americans but would imagine it can be done for anyone. Location: Scientific and Forensic Department, Ministry of Interior at 275 Norodom Blvd (map below)

Cost: $40 (includes photos for internal use)

POC: English-speaking Mr. Heng Saroeun; Cell phone: 011 563303

Process: Forensic Police will complete two fingerprint cards (FBI form FD-258 and a Khmer form for their internal records). The FBI FD-258 form will be given to applicant at the conclusion of the visit. Expected processing time is 30 minutes.

Good luck with fixing your problem :) It worries me to be confronted over and over with the fact that many people have been in contact with children for years without having to prove they are not a criminal. Schools should ask for this because they see the importance of it, not because the government finally asks for it :(

Personally I wouldn't want my kids going to any skool (sic) that hasn't done a criminal background check.

What is more worrying is that if a guy had started this thread everyone would be asking him what he is trying to hide.

This hasn’t come up at our School yet... but I’m glad it’s finally being enforced. Too right there should be CRB checks if you’re working with kids.

Wait, the FBI is giving access to its criminal records database to Mr. Heng Samrouen at the Ministry of Interior? I find that a little hard to believe. And what are the standards for what criminal convictions are disqualifying?

Expats in Cambodia come in many criminal flavors, from small time drunk drivers to big time sex offenders and everything in between. If you have a 15 year old conviction for drug possession are you disqualified? What about drug trafficking? Simple assault? Assault with a deadly weapon? Misdemeanor indecent exposure? Felony shooting a bald eagle?

Who decides what's a disqualifying conviction? I mean, I'd like to be the person who decides, if there's an opening for that job.

For Canadians, I think the fingerprints need to be completed by the local police and then you need to send them yourself to a company to digitize them.

If you contact one of the companies thanks digitizes them, they can let you know if the extact process.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: School in Phnom Penh is Starting to Ask for Criminal Background Checks for English Teachers in Cambodia

Post by that genius »

About bloody time.

I know of at least 3 who will be leaving soon, good riddance.
AmericanSteve
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: School in Phnom Penh is Starting to Ask for Criminal Background Checks for English Teachers in Cambodia

Post by AmericanSteve »

This doesn't look like a real international school or even a half-ass bilingual school.
How much do schools in Cambodia pay?
Is there a retirement age?
To gladly teach and gladly learn.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

AmericanSteve wrote:This doesn't look like a real international school or even a half-ass bilingual school.
How much do schools in Cambodia pay?
Is there a retirement age?
The image is unrelated to the actual post. Just a random image from a funny school in Cambodia years ago.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

1. It's not, the post was a sarcastic comment, I think.

2. Between $8-25/hr, depending, or, salarywise, from $800-$3000 from diploma mill to WASC/IB accredited

3. No retirement age. Experience is valuable, probably moreso in teaching than, say banking/civil service.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

I think a more accurate title/assessment is not that "a school" is demanding background checks but that ministry of interior is demanding that all schools require background checks, at least according to one teacher/one school
AmericanSteve
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by AmericanSteve »

3. No retirement age. Experience is valuable, probably moreso in teaching than, say banking/civil service.
Has anyone come across teachers in their late 60s or early 70s?
To gladly teach and gladly learn.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

I recently got two sets of fingerprint cards done up by Mr. Heng Samrouen at the Ministry of Interior. Very professional and he did mine well after business hours and even shuttled me to and from the front gate on his spiffy Zoomer moto. Nice guy, tipped him half a sawbuck.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

AmericanSteve wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:22 pm
Has anyone come across teachers in their late 60s or early 70s?
ON the "living in Cambodia" forum is a expat American in his early 70's teaching at a school in Poi Pet

I wonder if this will be retroactive and ALL Expat teachers will be required to provide clearance.

Great idea,,,
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

that genius wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:54 pm About bloody time.

I know of at least 3 who will be leaving soon, good riddance.
I could not agree more !! Be a shit load more than just the 3 you know. I could probably identify well over a dozen that I know that would get flicked. A few of those I would not even feel safe babysitting my dog.
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic