School in Phnom Penh is Starting to Ask for Criminal Background Checks for English Teachers in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: School in Phnom Penh is Starting to Ask for Criminal Background Checks for English Teachers in Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

AmericanSteve wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:22 pm
3. No retirement age. Experience is valuable, probably moreso in teaching than, say banking/civil service.
Has anyone come across teachers in their late 60s or early 70s?
I know a guy in Saigon, Vietnam. He is 77 now and has been teaching there for 11 or 12 years. Well respected. gets his $32 an hour for 20 - 25 hours a week.
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: School in Phnom Penh is Starting to Ask for Criminal Background Checks for English Teachers in Cambodia

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

First drug testing; now this. Will I ever get into Milky Way School? ( best school in the galaxy in my humble opinion )
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Heng Heng Heng wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:13 pm First drug testing; now this. Will I ever get into Milky Way School? ( best school in the galaxy in my humble opinion )
i went to dur skool of Jupiter, dats y i ams stupider :crazy:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:19 pm
Heng Heng Heng wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:13 pm First drug testing; now this. Will I ever get into Milky Way School? ( best school in the galaxy in my humble opinion )
I thought you were an analyst orbiting Uranus and watching Klingons
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

that genius wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:07 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:19 pm
I thought you were an analyst orbiting Uranus and watching Klingons
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Sloth is one of the 7 deadly sins...coincidence?
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

that genius wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:54 pm I know of at least 3 who will be leaving soon, good riddance.
Not for nothing, but if you were aware that a (presumably) school had in their employ, convicted criminals, is it safe to say that you vociferously made the schools management unambiguously aware of that fact, contacted the relevant ministry(ies) to report that convicted criminals were teaching children, etc?

Even if ambivalence and or bureaucratic resistance was the response, at least then your conscience would have been clear.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

You don't even know me, but you presume that this was not done.

People who know me know what was done.

Try not to make a complete idiot of yourself too obviously, OK?

Another thing to remember is that there are levels of criminality...smoking a joint or drunken driving is nothing, imo, but drug dealing, habitual serious assault or even a suggestion of sexual abuse is not tolerable.

I don't know of a single person I have met or known of who has ever been a suspect in a child abuse case I have not reported.
Last edited by that genius on Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

that genius wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:47 pm you presume that this was not done.

I presumed nothing. I asked a question. "...is it safe to say...yadda,yadda...?"

Your insight as to how receptive the agencies were would have proved enlightening.

Anyway, you saw it as an attack, oh well. Such is communication on the internet.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Brody wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:37 pmEven if ambivalence and or bureaucratic resistance was the response, at least then your conscience would have been clear.
Your post quite clearly implies I did not.

There is no misunderstanding.

Even gavinmac, (who is not on my fan list) and many others will attest to the fact I have consistently and vociferously campaigned for kiddy-fuckers and serious criminals to be deported at the very least.

I have not missed one single opportunity to suggest to people of importance that the law be tightened...even though I seldom meet such people.

You're preaching to the choir, and not the Catholic choir, neither.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic