Dangers of bites in SEA: Don't pat the dogs, and don't cuddle the monkeys.

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Dangers of bites in SEA: Don't pat the dogs, and don't cuddle the monkeys.

Post by Artful Dodger »

Donovanosis previously, while still a rare disease, was most commonly attributed to links with India and Pakistan... (eg. either contracted in those countries, or contracted from somebody who came from those countries).
Recent statistics show an increase of infections outside of Asia without any identifiable links to India/Pakistan. The infection rate in Cambodia and Vietnam has increased in the past 2 years (maybe from Indian sex tourists), and particularly in Cambodia. It is to the point that it is now said, Donovanosis is most commonly attributed to links with India/Pakistan/Cambodia.

And yes... google it if you do not know it... the images of the large penis ulcers might turn you celibate.
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
johnjayson
Tourist
Martinique

Post by johnjayson »

Dogs in SEA are far different from the western ones since It seems that they are very angressive, they will bark and bit over the strangers when getting near them.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

johnjayson wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:30 am Dogs in SEA are far different from the western ones since It seems that they are very angressive, they will bark and bit over the strangers when getting near them.
Not at all, mostly all bark and no bite. I have been running, cycling, and motorbiking in SE Asia for 23 years; never had an issue. I reckon if you are potentially going to end up on the dinner table (the pooch, not the human), you don't push your luck too much.....
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

johnjayson wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:30 amDogs in SEA are far different from the western ones since It seems that they are very angressive, they will bark and bit over the strangers when getting near them.
1 m x 10 mm rebar, keep your head down, good swing

Seriously, most dogs here run if you bend down and pretend to pick up a stone..maybe they think you are picking up the soy sauce.

Europe/US, they keep coming
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phuket has a monkey problem.
Some monkeys will be moved, most will be sterilised – Phuket
All the public meetings agreed that the island's monkeys needed to be sterilised.
May 31, 2018

A meeting was held today (May 31) at the Governor’s residence, hosted by Governor Plodthong. The meeting was to collate information from all the recent public hearings into Phuket’s monkey problems and relocation plans.

All the public meetings agreed that the island’s monkeys, in the public ‘hot’ zones, needed to be sterilised in a systematic program.

Tha Chin community in Rassada agreed to move some monkey from the community as there were too many monkeys in this area. Several of the community members had had property damaged or stolen by monkeys in recent months.
https://thethaiger.com/news/some-monkey ... sed-phuket
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Norwegian tourist, 24, dies of rabies after she's bitten by a puppy she rescued while on holiday in the Philippines
15 May 2019
Birgitte Kallestad died Monday after contracting rabies from a dog she rescued
She and her friends sustained minor cuts and bites while playing with the puppy
The health worker began to feel unwell weeks after returning home to Norway
Doctors were stumped as rabies hasn't occurred in mainland Norway since 1815
Her family want rabies vaccines to become compulsory for the Philippines

Doctors struggled to diagnose the problem and no one, not even Birgitte herself, connected her illness to the dog bite.
It has been over 200 years since rabies was last detected on the Norwegian mainland.

She was hospitalized several times as her condition worsened, before eventually being admitted full time, the family said.
Birgitte began to feel unwell weeks after returning home from the Philippines

Finally, a doctor in the hospital in Førde suspected that Birgitte's symptoms were signs of rabies.

Samples sent to the Public Health Authority in Sweden confirmed these suspicions on Saturday.

Neither Birgitte nor anyone she was travelling with had been inoculated against the disease, because it is not on the list of vaccines required for the Philippines unless you plan to travel to areas with poor hygiene and sanitation.

Birgitte's family are now campaigning for rabies to be included on the program for the Philippines and other places where it is is possible to contract the disease from street animals.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ekb9ZtRLVc
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
tefl online pro
Tourist
United States of America

Post by tefl online pro »

I read recently, I think it happened in India, that a young tourist went up to a street dog and tried showing it some love. The dog was licking her (not sure whether it bit her) and the end result was that the woman died of rabies when she returned to Norway. It's tragic really because if she had got the rabies shot after coming into contact with the dog then her chances of survival would have been very high.

Stray dogs are a serious problem in SE Asia and I have even seen temples now showing signs at the entrances to be aware of the dogs.

When I walked from Phnom Penh to Trat, I didn't really experience any issues with dogs. Thailand though was a completely different story all together: lots of stray dogs on what seems like every street corner and temple throughout the country.
Get qualified to teach English abroad with https://teflonlinepro.com/
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

tefl online pro wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:10 pm I read recently, I think it happened in India, that a young tourist went up to a street dog and tried showing it some love. The dog was licking her (not sure whether it bit her) and the end result was that the woman died of rabies when she returned to Norway. It's tragic really because if she had got the rabies shot after coming into contact with the dog then her chances of survival would have been very high.

Stray dogs are a serious problem in SE Asia and I have even seen temples now showing signs at the entrances to be aware of the dogs.

When I walked from Phnom Penh to Trat, I didn't really experience any issues with dogs. Thailand though was a completely different story all together: lots of stray dogs on what seems like every street corner and temple throughout the country.
Maybe you could read the post above yours. :hattip:
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Had a love bite from a local girl once, the shame nearly killing me the day after as I walked into my favorite bar. Added to that I only just survived the verbal mauling from my drinking cohorts about it. Be careful out there.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

^^Cool walk! I'd love to do that. How many days did that take you??
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic