The Clash

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: The Clash

Post by that genius »

Your sarcasm meter has died, frank
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Duncan wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:14 am
BklynBoy wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:25 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:13 am
YORKIE wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:24 am Should I stay or should I go. Coming up to my retirement soon. Should I live in the UK or migrate to Cambodia. Cards on the table.
Disposable income ¬¬¬¬ £10,870 per year, works out at approx £905 per month, and £209 per week. I don't want to live in a shit hole of a apartment, but don't require rock star Condo either. I do like to go out for a beer maybe 4 times a week. And I enjoy female company from time to time. :D I just need get out of the UK, it's not a country I am proud of anymore. Hope you can help. :please:
thats about $1250 per month, which is doable if you live a settled life and dont party too hard when you go out,
that budget would likely be too tight for me though if i was retired and not working,
but then again i am younger, im sure theres plenty that can survive on less but an average night out for me is around $80-120,

for a nice cheap apartment you would probably be looking around $2-500 per month, which eats into your leisure budget some what,
nothings stopping you from coming over for 6 months though to give it a try and see how you get on :thumb:
I know he specified retirement but another option is to work part time as an English teacher. Possibly earn 500-600 per month extra .. that can easily cover ur rent and keep u a little busy...

Why would he do that when he could buy a bar . Think of the savings, in not having to go out for a drink, ladies at your finger tips , probable free rent and make lots of money at the same time.
Can he live above the bar?
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

BklynBoy wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:50 am
Duncan wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:14 am
BklynBoy wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:25 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:13 am
YORKIE wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:24 am Should I stay or should I go. Coming up to my retirement soon. Should I live in the UK or migrate to Cambodia. Cards on the table.
Disposable income ¬¬¬¬ £10,870 per year, works out at approx £905 per month, and £209 per week. I don't want to live in a shit hole of a apartment, but don't require rock star Condo either. I do like to go out for a beer maybe 4 times a week. And I enjoy female company from time to time. :D I just need get out of the UK, it's not a country I am proud of anymore. Hope you can help. :please:
thats about $1250 per month, which is doable if you live a settled life and dont party too hard when you go out,
that budget would likely be too tight for me though if i was retired and not working,
but then again i am younger, im sure theres plenty that can survive on less but an average night out for me is around $80-120,

for a nice cheap apartment you would probably be looking around $2-500 per month, which eats into your leisure budget some what,
nothings stopping you from coming over for 6 months though to give it a try and see how you get on :thumb:
I know he specified retirement but another option is to work part time as an English teacher. Possibly earn 500-600 per month extra .. that can easily cover ur rent and keep u a little busy...

Why would he do that when he could buy a bar . Think of the savings, in not having to go out for a drink, ladies at your finger tips , probable free rent and make lots of money at the same time.
Can he live above the bar?
He's retired,,, If he bought the right sort of bar,,, he could even live below the bar.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Duncan wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:58 amHe's retired,,, If he bought the right sort of bar,,, he could even live below the bar.
:bow:

Did you hear about the banker from Krakow who thought the pole vault was a hidden treasure?
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

IMHO you will have a far better lifestyle in Cambodia than the UK on that money.

Keys points are:

Get you accommodation costs down to under $250 per month.

Get good internet for entertainment at home.

Own transportation

Cook at least half your meals at home

Shop in the markets where possible

Only go out 4 nights a week.

Get girls phone needs and call them direct.

I rarely spend more than $20-35 on a night out. But do not take ladies (I am in Cambodia for the culture and business /investment) .
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

Have you visited Cambodia before? It can be too chaotic for some or too hot. I prefer the chaos personally and the weather. I don't like a nanny state like where I'm from or some Legoland suburbia like in Europe. If you enjoy freedom, it's a great place. However, if you have health issues, maybe look elsewhere.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

at retirement age cambo health cover is a necessity.
will you find the quality of health care you may need.
:suicide:
thru shit to more shit
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

As laudjohn pointed out your income will go way further in Cambodia than in the UK. Here you can live with that amount as opposed to surviving in blimey.

The only consideration is medical care. But given the derelict state of the NHS that'll only get worse with the exodus of EU nurses and doctors, there again you'd be better off here.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

Another thing you have to watch here is drinking because it is so cheap and you'll have unlimited time being retired.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Go over, give it a try for 6 months, BUT DONT burn any bridges back home, ( ie don't sell everything) that way if it doesn't work out, u can always go back

For comparison ONLY, u can live on that amount in thailand ( but u'll need more to get the retirement visa)
£10,870 per year, works out at approx £905 per month, and £209 per week
so $15,294/year $1,274/month AND??? £209 per week or?????
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic