I'm Dating a Cambodian Woman in France - Gold Digger or No?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
guillaume382
Expatriate
France

I'm Dating a Cambodian Woman in France - Gold Digger or No?

Post by guillaume382 »

Hello everyone,

I would like to know what do you think about my special love story :

I am French, living in Lyon. I am 30years old. I met a girl on a dating website in october 2017.
She is now 34 years old Cambodian woman. She live in France in Lyon since July 2014 and her VISA is now over.
She live in sister's home with her brother in law (soon 4years here).

In Cambodia she worked as a teacher (she tell me she earned like 300$ a month). And she lived in Kampot Province.
She has 3 brothers, and 1 daughter (where she is living actually). My girlfriend is the younger.

She tell me she was never marry before, and hence she had never had sex before. Since october she and I never have sex.
The only thing I do is touch her, and lick her... maybe 4 times, no more. In very private.

I can kiss her when we are alone, and she take my hand a lot of time when we walk outside. It is often me asking for kiss her.
She tells she is very shy. For example, she doesn't want show me to KHMER people before marry.
2 times it happened that KHMER people comes (she doesn't know before, because she tells me KHMER no take appointment) and she ask me to hide in bedroom.

At sister's home, she is busy with her nephew because he is 2years old. She cooks a lot and she clean a lot too.
When I'm at home, she doesn't want me to kiss her because she is shy and KHMER tradition not like this. (I can kiss, but a bit and when sister or bro-in-law are not near).

She cares me a lot, and prepare cooking very nicely. But this is hard because she is such shy near people.

She told me when we marry I can do all with her (sex, kiss, hugs, walk a lot out, etc...).
Now we plan to marry in July (10 months we are dating at this moment) and this is fast for French people. Do you think KHMER girl marry fast ?
She wants a ring like 9000€ (I pay 5000€ and her sister 4000€). I think good if sister pay yes, but I think this is a lot for marry. All KHMER want ring like this ?

I paid 2000€ for ring (February), and her sister do in Cambodia. But now she needs 3000€ more for finish it (need one diamond 1carat).
I take my ring and her ring (not finish) and I ask jeweler the price in France. He told me, my ring is 700€ and her ring (not finish) 2500€ - 3000€.
So she doesn't lie. She tells me the truth. But maybe the price in Cambodia not the same ??? maybe a bit $ ??

The big problem I have with this story, is the fact that her sister angry a lot with me, because I ask ring and ask her I want see bill before pay more.
I ask sister I want take ring and ask jeweler the price. So her sister and I were "fighting". Bad words, and more.
So I decided to go back my home and leave her home but I stayed near the door, and I heard my girlfriend and sister scream and my girldfriend cry.
So I knocked at door, and warn off that I will call police because my girlfriend is like in jail. I ask my girlfriend to follow me but she doesn't want.
I stayed there a lot of time, arguing a lot, talking to sister and my girlfriend.

Then I go back to my car, but her sister call to me on phone, and she was very calm (first time since 3months..).
She told me I need believe her, and stop ask a lot like this. Her ring cost a lot, and I need respect her due to her age (me 30 and her 38).
She told me her sister isn't in jail, and I no need call police because she love her sister...

Next day I met her sister, and we walk out and talk a lot (1 hour). She told me the same. Her sister is not in jail. She screams a lot but she loves her a lot.
Because this is family.. Now I see my girlfriend very sad, and brother in law too. Her sister wants all people do like she wants.
When I talk to brother in law, He never tells me I'm wrong. Whatever I say her wife is bad, she loves money, etc.. etc.. Maybe he is like a ghost now accepting all too.

I precise my girlfriend doesn't ask me for money, but only a good ring. And she wants we save money a lot.
She tells me that KHMER people who come to wedding participate a lot, and she tells me we don't waste money on food.

Sorry, I write a lot.. Thank you for your "help".

Thanks for yours replies.
Guillaume.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: I'm dating a Cambodian Woman in LYON - GoldDigger or no ?

Post by fax »

guillaume382 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:42 pm her VISA is now over.

she doesn't want show me to KHMER people before marry.

she ask me to hide in bedroom.

she is shy and KHMER tradition not like this.
You've been cuckolded by someone who refuses to compromise and meet you halfway. Send her back to Cambodia where she can continue her love for Khmer traditions and culture.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

RUN!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

You should hurry up and get married. I'm sure everything will get better after that.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Sorry, let me clarify a little more for you.

There is an unwritten rule in Cambodia that jewelers follow. The same shop that sells a piece of jewelry guarantees a back purchase at display of receipt for 90% of the original price that it sold for. Sometimes girls bring their boyfriends to buy jewelry only to return the next day with the receipt to exchange it for 90% of the purchase value. For example, someone who bought a ring last year for $1000 bring the ring back to the shop today and get $900 back in exchange of the ring and the receipt.

In other words, after you break up your girlfriend will bring the $9000 ring back and exchange it for $8100. Your girlfriend's sister is putting money in the ring as an investment to make a couple grand.

Offer to buy the ring in France instead. I am sure they will have many interesting excuses for why they don't want to do so.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

guillaume382 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:42 pm Her sister wants all people do like she wants.
Including you.

Good luck!
guillaume382
Expatriate
France

Post by guillaume382 »

I assume that everyone think she is a gold digger and maybe her sister and her try to manipulate me.

Wow... fax ! you mean that after marry, she maybe sell the ring and try get money back ?
Because, maybe she thinks that if she and I divorce, after that she has good money in her hands.

Do you think she tell me true about Cambodia Traditions? Today, I have the feeling that she doesn't want to accept a lot of French culture.. but a lot KHMER culture..
fax wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:06 pm Offer to buy the ring in France instead. I am sure they will have many interesting excuses for why they don't want to do so.
Diamond 1 carat (or 6.5LI) is 8000€ here and 9000$ in Phnom Penh JEWELRY (I ask on Facebook).

But when I told her I ask Phnom Penh JEWELWY she (girlfriend and sister) tell me : In Cambodia nobody tell price diamond to people on phone.... And she told me that in store it is expensive...
Her sister tell me that she can get Diamond 1 carat (or 6.5LI) for 6500$ or 7000$. And I don't understand how she can get such a good price !!
guillaume382
Expatriate
France

Post by guillaume382 »

Another things important to say is : my girlfriend write her name on my wedding ring, but on her ring, she didn't write my name.
I precise that her ring is not finish yet. Need this expensive diamond.
guillaume382
Expatriate
France

Post by guillaume382 »

General Mackevili wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:02 pm You should hurry up and get married. I'm sure everything will get better after that.
I assume you are kidding me. But I really love her, and I am sad to see that maybe she is playing, and only interesting in money and VISA..
All cambodian woman no have premarital sex ? 34years old virgin ? She is nice and I don't understand all
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

OP, 9000 for a wedding ring is a bit excessive in Cambodia. I would not spend that amount on a ring if I were you. It's a major red flag she wants that amount spent, and if you think a bit more you can find more red flags in your story.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic