Customs DIDN'T steal gifts in post Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Mick
Tourist
Australia

Customs DIDN'T steal gifts in post Phnom Penh

Post by Mick »

Hi can anyone help me please I posted 3 metal Nixon watches to family in Cambodia from Australia and my family get a phone call from customs saying there is 3 plastic childrens watches in the parcel, they have stolen the good watches and replaced them with cheap watches :(
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Customs steal gifts in post Phnom Penh

Post by StroppyChops »

Doesn't sound right as the watches would just disappear without comment, and "customs" wouldn't call your family about 3 plastic watches.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

Franky I am surprised the package arrived at all.
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Mick wrote:Hi can anyone help me please I posted 3 metal Nixon watches to family in Cambodia from Australia and my family get a phone call from customs saying there is 3 plastic childrens watches in the parcel, they have stolen the good watches and replaced them with cheap watches :(
Who shipped them? Do you have pics of the watches that were delivered? What makes you think they are switched on the Cambodian side of the trip?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Mick wrote:Hi can anyone help me please I posted 3 metal Nixon watches to family in Cambodia from Australia and my family get a phone call from customs saying there is 3 plastic childrens watches in the parcel, they have stolen the good watches and replaced them with cheap watches :(
Not sure how anyone can help?

Has your family collected the package and confirmed the package has been adulterated by customs or the postal workers? Perhaps the description over the phone wasn't accurate and the package is fine.

Was there any receipt or an inventory in the package that lists the brand and model of the watches sent?

Pro tip: Don't send anything valuable to Cambodia by post.
Mick
Tourist
Australia

Post by Mick »

No the girlfriends family haven't received the parcel yet only been told over the phone there was three plastic children's watches , I hope your right about the description is just wrong but I doubt it sounds like we are being scammed :(
Mick
Tourist
Australia

Post by Mick »

Hi General I posted them express from Australia with Australian post with tracking yes I have pics of the watches and I know it happened on the Cambodian side as they are the only ones that opened the parcel and they told our family that! We are upset because my gf family are very poor villagers and it was a rare opportunity to do something nice for them because we got the watches so cheap :(
Mick
Tourist
Australia

Post by Mick »

The package turned up because I had tracking thats why it arrived
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

Maybe the customs description was a cheeky appraisal of Nixon's quality. We're not talking Patek, I think.

Untracked watches will certainly just disappear, I've lost a couple of casios etc.
Very unlikely they were switched though, why bother, and leave a crime scene? Perhaps the family sold them?

Use a courier for anything of value.
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

"Some" Khmers steal "sometimes". You insured the watches, right? For some unknown bizarre reason, packages sent through the USPS to Cambodia, can't be insured. Hmm.

It's good to see Khmers interested in history. He really had a major effect on this country. He's probably smiling up at us right now.

Kissinger watches next?
I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic