Saving Cambodia's elephants

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Saving Cambodia's elephants

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

April 20, 2018
Fundraising event to help elephants
The French embassy in Cambodia will be hosting a charity concert at the end of April to aid the conservation of elephants in Cambodia.

The event entitled “Mothership” is scheduled for April 27. Participants are expected to donate between $50 to $2,000 for attending the fundraiser.

Ken Sereyrotha, WCS’ country program director, said that this charity event is a positive point for the conservation of elephants in Cambodia.

He said that the fundraiser is aimed at directly educating the general public about elephant habitats, diets and reproduction.

He said that elephants in Cambodia are under threat due to economic development, including the allocation of land for agro-industry farming.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50303215/f ... elephants/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Saving Cambodia's elephants

Post by AndyKK »

“But the reality is very grim,” he added. “The domesticated population is down to 72 animals and the wildlife population is thought to be around 200.”
The Environment Ministry said Cambodia has provided shelter to nearly 600 elephants in the past, while neighbouring countries only contributed minimally.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

For sure all that money raised will go towards the elephants retirement fund. I feel happy now. Cambodia loves it's elephants!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Documentary exposes horrific elephant torture in Cambodia
By Johnny Oleksinski
April 26, 2018 | 5:59pm | Updated

It’s tough out there for Babar.
In the new documentary “Love & Bananas: An Elephant Story,” out Friday, American filmmaker Ashley Bell flies to Cambodia to discover the scary plight of Asian elephants, some of the largest animals on Earth, who are plagued by poachers and exploited in logging camps.

“A close family friend owns the Cambodia Wildlife Sanctuary, and I heard through them they’d been looking for elephants to rescue for about 10 years,” Bell tells The Post. “When I heard they finally had rescued them and were releasing them onto the sanctuary, it just hit me to my core. And I said ‘I’ve gotta go.’ ”

The rescue in the film takes place in Cambodia, where the team — including renowned elephant expert Lek Chailert — attempt to save a 70-year-old animal named Noi Na.

Captive elephants like Noi Na are forced to endure a little-known torture called “The Crush Box,” in which humans beat them into submission for days. Noi Na’s experience left her partially blind.
https://nypost.com/2018/04/26/documenta ... -cambodia/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

maybe I am defeatist....but I think this is mission impossible
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
anonny18
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by anonny18 »

Every little bit helps
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

May 13, 2020
First-ever action plan to save Asian elephants
Wildlife Alliance

The Environment Ministry in cooperation with Fauna & Flora International has adopted Cambodia’s first-ever action plan to save the Asian elephant from extinction.

A joint media release by the ministry and FFI yesterday said the General Directorate of Administration for Nature Conservation and Protection with technical support from the Cambodian Elephant Conservation Group worked with national and international stakeholders over the past few years to compile this first-ever conservation action plan for the species in Cambodia.

It said that in Cambodia, between 400 and 600 Asian elephants are thought to remain, distributed mainly in the Cardamom Mountain in the southwest of the country and the eastern plains of Mondulkiri province, with smaller numbers in other parts of country, such as the northern plains.

“Habitat degradation has resulted in fragmented population, negatively affecting the species’ long-term viability. Elephant calves have also been found to be under pressure from snares, affecting the population recovery. These concerns have led to the development of this 2020-2029 action plan to address them,” the press release said.

Meas Sophal, GDANCP director general of the Ministry of Environment said the action plan aims to strengthen management of Asian elephants with involvement from all stakeholders, so that their populations are protected and able to recover, not least in the protected areas and biodiversity conservation network, which cover 7.2 million hectares or 40 percent of the country’s surface, ultimately safeguarding this cultural heritage icon for future generations.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50722446/f ... elephants/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
La Quenta
Expatriate
Swaziland

Post by La Quenta »

Artful Dodger wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:32 pm maybe I am defeatist....but I think this is mission impossible
Sadly i think so too. 200 elephants doubtfully contributes to enough genetic diversity to make breeding a growing population sustainable.

Combine that with the greedy pieces of shit that will poach and pick off the last of these creatures, i think it's only a decade or so before there are none left in Cambodia.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

La Quenta wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:42 am
Artful Dodger wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:32 pm maybe I am defeatist....but I think this is mission impossible
Sadly i think so too. 200 elephants doubtfully contributes to enough genetic diversity to make breeding a growing population sustainable.

Combine that with the greedy pieces of shit that will poach and pick off the last of these creatures, i think it's only a decade or so before there are none left in Cambodia.
10 years?
Not sure where you guys draw your conclusions from. Facts, informed analysis? - or just general cynicism?
There is very little targeted poaching of elephants in Cambodia.
Latest estimates are 4-600.
I reckon they have a future. Definitely for far longer than 10 years.

I note somebody posted here lately saying he was looking to buy ivory.
Please don't - no matter how seductive you find it. You know where it comes from and how it was obtained.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

World Animal Protection launches urgent appeal to protect elephant-friendly tourism
Christian Fleetwood
19 May 2020
The challenges being faced by elephant-friendly venues across Asia are also shared by conservation groups dependent on tourism dollars.

In Cambodia, the temporary closure of ecolodge Cardamom Tented Camp could suspend forest patrols by Wildlife Alliance rangers in Botum Sakor National Park in the country’s southwest.

As of mid-May, all 14 rangers policing 18,000 hectares of evergreen lowland forest in the national park are still operating, relying on funds from the Golden Triangle Asian Elephant Foundation (GTAEF).

However, the foundation said these funds could run out as early as the end of May.

“We are extremely proud of the rangers’ efforts over the last six years. They have all-but stamped out bushmeat poaching, the illegal wildlife trade and land grabbing on the concession,” John Roberts, director of elephants and conservation at GTAEF, said.

“However, we see from the rampant forest clearance in surrounding areas that the rangers’ excellent work would almost immediately be reversed should patrolling stop in the next few weeks.”

The rangers’ equipment, food and wages are provided entirely by the GTAEF and Cardamom Tented Camp, which both depend on tourism for their income.

However, the last guest at Cardamom Tented Camp checked out on 30 March, leaving the ecolodge without a source of reliable funds for nearly two months.
Taken from https://www.travelweekly.com.au/article ... y-tourism/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic