Welcome to Cambodia:Indifference Reigns when Foreigner Gets Bag Snatched From Tuktuk Leaving the Airport

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Welcome to Cambodia:Indifference Reigns when Foreigner Gets Bag Snatched From Tuktuk Leaving the Airport

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

According to social media Facebook, an unidentified male foreigner got his backpack snatched from his tuktuk by a thief on a Nex motorbike shortly after leaving Phnom Penh International Airport airport on April 21, on Russian Federation road, Phnom Penh.

In the aftermath of the snatch and grab, although the foreigner was in a state of shock, the tuk tuk driver just drove on as though nothing had happened. When the victim complained, the driver didn't even try to help his passenger by driving him to the police station to file a complaint. The tuk tuk driver said that it was non of his business.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Welcome to Cambodia:Indifference Reigns when Foreigner Gets Bag Snatched From Tuktuk Leaving the Airport

Post by explorer »

In some cases the tuk tuk driver and the thief work together. He may call his friend, and say he has someone with a bag which is easy to grab. He may go slow or stop when the thief comes along. He may go down a certain street. The tourist may have opened his bag and the tuk tuk driver knows it contains something valuable.

He will not want to go to the police when he is involved.

You see people going to ATMs, and Cambodians standing nearby watching how much money they withdraw. Some foreigners don't try to keep the money out of view of the Cambodians. They ring their mates, saying the person is heading in a certain direction, and they get robbed, completely unaware they were watched at the ATM.

Coming from the airport is common for robbers, as many tourists are carrying a significant amount of money at that time.

Keep things where they cannot be grabbed.

Don't let Cambodians see your valuables.

In many cases, people who look like they wont fight back are targeted. Large fit men are targeted less often.

I suggest people traveling alone, particularly females, chat to other travelers on the plane or in the airport, and see if you can share a tuk tuk going into the city. Even walking around, if you can go with others it is ideal. Don't display your valuables, including expensive cameras.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Welcome to Cambodia:Indifference Reigns when Foreigner Gets Bag Snatched From Tuktuk Leaving the Airport

Post by StroppyChops »

I was on Monivong one day when a moto-thief snatched a bag and took off. A young guy that worked with us at the time pointed to two cops sitting on their motorbikes on the side of the street that were pretending to have not noticed, and he commented that they were almost certainly working with the thief. He said that if anyone tried to follow the thief or otherwise intervene, the cops run interference. I believed him.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

If a lot of people were to photograph, or write down the registration number of the tuk tuk they were in when being robbed, I think the same ones would come up again and again.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

That's one of the airport "controlled" tuktuks, passenger should be onto the company with a complaint.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic