Cellphone charging cord

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cellphone charging cord

Post by beaker »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:40 am
taabarang wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:30 am I think what you are calling a transformer is what the locals call an inverter, which is what I use. The cords don't born out immediately, but after 5-8 uses on an average.
Inverter is a box that steps 12V DC from the batter to 220/230V AC so you can plug regular mains plugs in.

Maybe the phone charger you are using is faulty and sending spikes causing the cables to fry? Have you tried a different phone charger? Could also damage your phone if it's faulty btw. A Filipino chick in AU died when a cheap arse charger she was using shorted and sent 230V into her earphones. Tip: don't use earphones when phone is charging.

Does the inverter have a dedicated USB output? Some do, just plug the USB cable into that. Otherwise try a different charger.
If you are using an inverter you are wasting lots of power probably using 5 times the power that it takes to charge the phone.
If charging from 12v you should be using an automotive charger they are made for 12v use to 5v
like this one.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

^^ that's what I suggested on the previous page
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

No need for earphones; I only use or the phone when it is fully charged and disconnected from the inverter.
Last edited by taabarang on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

taabarang wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:57 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:41 pm maybe use a car charger that steps the 12V down to 5V for your phone?
I use an inverter between the battery and the phone, I do not charge directly from the battery.
Are we on the same page or are we talking about two different apparatuses.
You say you use an inverter, but this converts DC to AC. You only need a voltage regulator such as an ic7805 to step down from 12v DC to 5v DC, also need to make sure the current output is around 330ma. If you are charging at a higher rate could be the cause of cable overheating. The charging circuit should look something like this:

https://www.homemade-circuits.com/how-t ... ell-phone/
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Kuroneko wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:02 pm
taabarang wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:57 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:41 pm maybe use a car charger that steps the 12V down to 5V for your phone?
I use an inverter between the battery and the phone, I do not charge directly from the battery.
Are we on the same page or are we talking about two different apparatuses.
You say you use an inverter, but this converts DC to AC. You only need a voltage regulator such as an ic7805 to step down from 12v DC to 5v DC, also need to make sure the current output is around 330ma. If you are charging at a higher rate could be the cause of cable overheating. The charging circuit should look something like this:

https://www.homemade-circuits.com/how-t ... ell-phone/
Taa you are wasting most of your electrical power coming from the solar panel by converting DC to AC then bumping it up to 220v then puting on the charger to change it from 220v AC back into 12v DC and dropping it to 5v DC.

Don't know why you are talking about headphones

what you need is a 12v phone charger like the one in the picture on my previous post they are made specifically to charge phones so are not going to over charge
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

OK guys, thanks for the help.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

beaker wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:57 am I finally ordered some from gearbest.com ...
How did you go with shipping?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:31 pm
beaker wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:57 am I finally ordered some from gearbest.com ...
I always go with the cheapest usually free shipping now I've ordered more than 20 items from them without any problem but paying extra for shipping and tracking doesn't get here any quicker and the tracking lags behind isn't much use.
The ones for my apple were $.59 and android $.99 each
Last edited by beaker on Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimi hendrix
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

beaker wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:03 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:31 pm
I always go with the cheapest usually free shipping now I've ordered more than 20 items from them without any problem but paying extra for shipping and tracking doesn't get here any quicker and the tracking lags behind isn't much use.
Good intel - thanks.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Hey guys, I said converter is the word locals use, obviously stolen from the French language. For all I know about electricity it could be a perverter.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic