Why Should I (Not) Move to Koh Kong ?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Calling expats who know something about Koh Kong.
In the long term, staying in Sihanoukville is not viable the way things are developing here. In the immediate future, I count on hanging around for a while, but now I'm sounding out some alternative places in Cambodia. I have never been to Koh Kong. I like the coast and the beach, which is why I don't really want to relocate upcountry.
Reasons for choosing SHV were beach, shopping (basic western food and stuff available) and nightlife (and day life). However, I'm ok to be home at 10pm most of the time. Don't need lattes or vegan restaurants, but would like more than two expat restaurant/bars in town. An edible pizza from time to time, as well as a few different places to drink with expats of different nationalities and locals sounds good.

So, I'd like some impressions from Koh Kongers and ex-Koh Kongers on the positives and negatives of living there.
Right now, I have some positives - small, close to the sea, close to Thailand.
Negatives are: small, close to Thailand ( border town), and a bit off the map in Cambodia - not so easy to get to internationally, or to travel within Cambodia.
There is ( Chinese?) development planned for the area, but will it be positive or negative ? Just throwing this out there for some feedback or ideas. Would you move to Koh Kong and why (not) ?
Thanks all. :beer2:
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Why Should I (Not) Move to Koh Kong ?

Post by Username Taken »

I think the positives and negatives that you have mentioned pretty well have it nailed. Though, it's been a long time since I was there ( before the bridge was built).
Back in the day, the close proximity to Thailand was a good thing as you could travel to Trat for a days shopping and be back in the evening, or stay over for a night or two. Nowadays with Thailand allowing only 2 border crossings a year you will probably feel more isolated.
I'm not familiar with the beaches on the other side of the bridge as they didn't exist back then.
Fishing was good. It's the only place in Cambodia where I've actually caught decent sized fish trolling off the coast.
I can't comment on the expat restaurant/bars situation, but I would expect that it would better than a choice of Otto's or nothing.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

koh kong is small , lots of weirdos around that area.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:44 pm koh kong is small , lots of weirdos around that area.
ROTFLMFSAAO!

I don't know if Cafe Laurent is still there, but very good value and lovely place to eat, right on the river.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

wait for andy KK to comment, he has been there almost 2 years .... according to him lots of Chinese development planned.
i have only passed thru a few times, seemed a bit sleepy and dependent on Thailand for just about everything..
Its to bad Thailand has a 2 MAX visa exempt land entries /year as other wise living in KK an shopping in Trat would be ok
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:26 pm wait for andy KK to comment, he has been there almost 2 years .... according to him lots of Chinese development planned.
i have only passed thru a few times, seemed a bit sleepy and dependent on Thailand for just about everything..
Its to bad Thailand has a 2 MAX visa exempt land entries /year as other wise living in KK an shopping in Trat would be ok
leo beer is 12 baht in KK
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

that genius wrote:
ROTFLMFSAAO!
Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Fucking South African Ass Off?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Koh Kong is much more of a sleepy town, much smaller than SHV and less facilities. The trip to SHV is also pretty long, so weekly visits to SHV for shopping for instance will be quite inconvenient. While Trat is not that far, it's also pretty time consuming to get there, and unless you have a visa to enter Thailand the number of entries are restricted.

If I were you I'd take the bus to KK after Khmer New Year and stay there for a week or two, and see if it suits you. Also imagine the town in rainy season... During July and August the weather can be pretty sad there for a few days in a row.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:48 pm
that genius wrote:
ROTFLMFSAAO!
Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Fucking South African Ass Off?
6/11, not bad for an Aussie. :wink:
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

It is not right on the beach. You need to travel to the beach.

I suggest, visit various places and see which you like.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic