Why Should I (Not) Move to Koh Kong ?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Why Should I (Not) Move to Koh Kong ?

Post by AndyKK »

cannabistourist wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:00 pm What about rent in Koh kong ? how to find a good place ?
You would have to look. That could be the problem! how many places to rent. Lots of hotels with long term room rent.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:52 pm
Beerinthemorning wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:44 pm koh kong is small , lots of weirdos around that area.
Maybe when you was in town. Plus Leo is $1 in my place. :beer3:

Koh Kong is not everyone’s cup of tea, and neither was Sihanoukville in the past or present to some. To be honest, it does help if there are amenities you require and desire, sometimes it’s what you also do to make the place more suited to you, and also what you would like to do. There are attractions in the area and surrounding areas. Beach and riverside, mangroves, waterfalls. Plus, the island of Koh Kong, and not let’s forget the beautiful Cardamom mountains.
I don’t think the place is isolated as it may have been in the past, with daily buses on route to most Cambodian destinations, and there is the choice of taxi’s if you would like to pay more.
And I would also agree the town is a little laid back. There are a good choice of Khmer restaurants and bars, coffee shops, with also a few western type bars and restaurants. Having more people arrive may change some of that, the trade may grow to accommodate.
There is a good market, also a few import shops with some good stock, and nice wines. But nowhere near the quantity and quality of Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville and Siem Reap. But then again, those areas have grown over time.
leo beer was 12 baht in a tax free supermarket on the main drag in KK.

ciggies at the border were ridiculously cheap too as was (fake) hard liquor.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Increasing numbers of tourists coming through the Cardamoms heading to/ from KK. Areng and Tatai seem busy.
Although still a "small town" , I would think getting in early ( now), could well be a good thing. I mean, where the fuck else are you all going to go????

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

A friend went to look there (KK) two weeks ago but he is not moving. He found an apartment for just under £250 a month but reckoned it, the town too quiet for him, and also was told by a few people town water run out in the dry season -- which is hard to understand with that great big river nearby!
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

The river has never run out, tell your crackhead friend to lay off the meth
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

that genius wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:32 pm The river has never run out, tell your crackhead friend to lay off the meth
That's his point. The river never runs dry. However, during the dry season you will see trailers with tanks on the back delivering water around the town. These guys go upstream to pump the water into their tanks, but sadly it is full of red silt so needs a couple of days for the silt to settle in your large water urns.
Many of the homes around the town which have their own wells have similar problems with silt as the wells have been hand dug.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Yeah, maybe last year or the year before, at the end of the dry, KK had NO water for a while...

Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

But Sinville was the same not too long ago..

johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

And will be again.

Johnny
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic