Why Should I (Not) Move to Koh Kong ?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Why Should I (Not) Move to Koh Kong ?

Post by kiwiincambodia »

that genius wrote:
kiwiincambodia wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:48 pm
that genius wrote:
ROTFLMFSAAO!
Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Fucking South African Ass Off?
6/11, not bad for an Aussie. :wink:
I’m going to ignore that Aussie remark. LOL

So what does it stand for then?
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

Koh kong is still as dead as 10 years ago and Kampot seems better.

The only positive is that Kohkong is close to Thailand, if you have a visa to cross as often as you want...
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

personally id chose Kampot over Koh Kong, i recently spent a couple of nights there for the first time to check it out, while it was satisfactory for a night or 2, im not sure i could live there, only plus side is its close to Thailand, but now with the border restrictions, thats not much of a bonus anymore,
Stevie C's just opened up a new bar there so thats one extra bar to try
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

If you have a 5 years Elite visa you cross to Thailand everyday if you want...

And what about apartments / houses ? Do you know if prices are cheaper that Sihanoukville or Kampot ? I haven't found nay website with rents around Koh kong.
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

If I move to Koh Kong, it's not to visit Thailand. I want to stay in Cambodia if possible. In fact, the Thai border puts me off more than anything.

@JL Yes, the small town aspect is what I was afraid of. For me, like other nice off the track places in Cambodia, thats fine for short term but Im not sure I want to go back to living in the boonies.
Anyway, thanks all for the input. :beer2:
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Visiting Thailand doesn't seem to be just a choice.
So many things are cheaper and better there, so living near the border and being able to cross anytime is a great chance, especially for supermarkets and hospital.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

cannabistourist wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:00 pm If you have a 5 years Elite visa you cross to Thailand everyday if you want...

And what about apartments / houses ? Do you know if prices are cheaper that Sihanoukville or Kampot ? I haven't found nay website with rents around Koh kong.
LOL: :facepalm:
yea invest 500,000 baht in a visa for Thailand, YET live in Cambodia. Makes sense to me
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:26 pm wait for andy KK to comment, he has been there almost 2 years .... according to him lots of Chinese development planned.
There has been lots of Chinese funded development already, hydro-electric dams and roads in the mountains, and there were plans for huge Chinese "eco-resorts" but I'm not sure how many have been completed.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:44 pm koh kong is small , lots of weirdos around that area.
Maybe when you was in town. Plus Leo is $1 in my place. :beer3:

Koh Kong is not everyone’s cup of tea, and neither was Sihanoukville in the past or present to some. To be honest, it does help if there are amenities you require and desire, sometimes it’s what you also do to make the place more suited to you, and also what you would like to do. There are attractions in the area and surrounding areas. Beach and riverside, mangroves, waterfalls. Plus, the island of Koh Kong, and not let’s forget the beautiful Cardamom mountains.
I don’t think the place is isolated as it may have been in the past, with daily buses on route to most Cambodian destinations, and there is the choice of taxi’s if you would like to pay more.
And I would also agree the town is a little laid back. There are a good choice of Khmer restaurants and bars, coffee shops, with also a few western type bars and restaurants. Having more people arrive may change some of that, the trade may grow to accommodate.
There is a good market, also a few import shops with some good stock, and nice wines. But nowhere near the quantity and quality of Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville and Siem Reap. But then again, those areas have grown over time.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

What about rent in Koh kong ? how to find a good place ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic