Safety following election

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Safety following election

Post by explorer »

I have heard, following a previous election there were protests, and people were killed.

Will it be safe to be in Cambodia during and following the election?

Are you staying or leaving at that time?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Safety following election

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:15 pm I have heard, following a previous election there were protests, and people were killed.

Will it be safe to be in Cambodia during and following the election?

Are you staying or leaving at that time?
It's probably save, but avoid the masses and don't play games with heavy armed guys in green. I am pretty sure during and after the elections there will be a major display of power with guys in green at every corner - so probably it'll be OK but nobody can predict it for 100%. Outside of PP you will be fine, if anything will happen I guess it's in the Penh.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The situation was very different during the 2013 elections. There is no viable opposition party anymore, not that there ever was but the most recent popular one is defunct. Meanwhile, the security forces have been beefed up. They have many more new resources than before. Any dissent will be stamped on quickly. So, as long as you are not involved in politics here yourself, I wouldn't worry. As anywhere else, try to avoid speaking about politics with strangers. Often those the most vocal are the most ignorant, so try not to engage with them.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

The government’s rolled out a zero tolerance policy against any political opposition, so ya it should be pretty safe. As to the protester who threw stuff at a CPP party sign, she’s been found and will facing prison soon:
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:14 am The government’s rolled out a zero tolerance policy against any political opposition, so ya it should be pretty safe. As to the protester who threw stuff at a CPP party sign, she’s been found and will facing prison soon:
She threw a shoe. Burn the witch! https://m.phnompenhpost.com/national/wo ... deo-sought
John Bingham wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:54 pm The situation was very different during the 2013 elections. There is no viable opposition party anymore, not that there ever was but the most recent popular one is defunct. Meanwhile, the security forces have been beefed up. They have many more new resources than before. Any dissent will be stamped on quickly. So, as long as you are not involved in politics here yourself, I wouldn't worry. As anywhere else, try to avoid speaking about politics with strangers. Often those the most vocal are the most ignorant, so try not to engage with them.
^This, and stay far away from large groups of people. Not just around election time, but always.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

It's best to play it safe & get yourself one of these, If you see any trouble brewing just run!
Anyone i causally spoke with about the election would not vote for the strongman but there is a sense of hopelessness on the matter. Evan when there was credible opposition to his power people predicted that H u n would not accept defeat & there was a looming fear of war. So i think that most will just suck it up & get on with their lives.
Though i have been wrong before once or twice :beer1:
canabodia
Expatriate
Canada

Post by canabodia »

Yobbo wrote:It's best to play it safe & get yourself one of these, If you see any trouble brewing just run!
Anyone i causally spoke with about the election would not vote for the strongman but there is a sense of hopelessness on the matter. Evan when there was credible opposition to his power people predicted that H u n would not accept defeat & there was a looming fear of war. So i think that most will just suck it up & get on with their lives.
Though i have been wrong before once or twice :beer1:
Can I get one at the Russian market?

Sent using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic