Standing your ground in the face of a threat.

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Standing your ground in the face of a threat.

Post by taabarang »

Alas Jamie, you are quite correct;/perhaps senility has decided to roost in my aged brain. I find some solace that new posters will be encouraged to make their contributions. So in relation to your correct observation and the idiom itself I can only say, Ai lovit tinta'n centru or Mensch det war'n Volltreffer. Bullseye Jamie.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

taabarang wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:44 am Alas Jamie, you are quite correct;/perhaps senility has decided to roost in my aged brain. I find some solace that new posters will be encouraged to make their contributions. So in relation to your correct observation and the idiom itself I can only say, Ai lovit tinta'n centru or Mensch det war'n Volltreffer. Bullseye Jamie.
i wasnt intending to ruin the discussion, you know i love these threads :D
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I'm not going to name names until she puts it out publicly, but a well-known expat lass was robbed at gunpoint today in broad daylight, on the side of a main road. Apparently she didn't use this phrase, she just handed over what was politely asked for, and waited in shock for her partner to cross the road to her. Not sure what I'd have done in the same situation, but fairly sure remembering this phrase wouldn't be high on the list.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Hope she is ok. Must have been terrifying. I have been mugged by three ladyboys with a knife last year when I was close to my home and it scared the shit out of me. I threw the phone and money on the ground and bolted (as fast as an old bloke can) to my house.
I am wary when walking at night these days and carry fuck all cash and an old nokia phone.
Stay safe and don't think it cannot happen to you. If you have not had an issue yet then thank the lucky stars. It could happen anytime anywhere but more likely at KNY and Pcum Ben.

Your life is worth more than anything else so just hand it over. =@
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Arget wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:39 pm Hope she is ok. Must have been terrifying. I have been mugged by three ladyboys with a knife last year when I was close to my home and it scared the shit out of me. I threw the phone and money on the ground and bolted (as fast as an old bloke can) to my house.
I am wary when walking at night these days and carry fuck all cash and an old nokia phone.
Stay safe and don't think it cannot happen to you. If you have not had an issue yet then thank the lucky stars. It could happen anytime anywhere but more likely at KNY and Pcum Ben.

yup and with iPhones these days everythings uplaoded onto the icloud so most of your phone is backed up and gets transferred onto your new phone, not sure how id react if someone tried mugging me
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

StroppyChops wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:25 pm I'm not going to name names until she puts it out publicly, but a well-known expat lass was robbed at gunpoint today in broad daylight, on the side of a main road. Apparently she didn't use this phrase, she just handed over what was politely asked for, and waited in shock for her partner to cross the road to her. Not sure what I'd have done in the same situation, but fairly sure remembering this phrase wouldn't be high on the list.
I first read that as until she puts out publicly. That caught my eye. Haha. At gunpoint in broad daylight. That's daylight robbery and scary! I'd give up everything too.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

StroppyChops wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:25 pm I'm not going to name names until she puts it out publicly, but a well-known expat lass was robbed at gunpoint today in broad daylight, on the side of a main road. Apparently she didn't use this phrase, she just handed over what was politely asked for, and waited in shock for her partner to cross the road to her. Not sure what I'd have done in the same situation, but fairly sure remembering this phrase wouldn't be high on the list.
I've said it before but it seems to bear repeating; I assume a certain amount of sophistication on the part of my reader. I report Khmer idioms in situ It's up to the individual to decide what. course of action to follow. I report language, I am neither coach nor counsellor.
Last edited by taabarang on Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Arget wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:39 pm Hope she is ok. Must have been terrifying. I have been mugged by three ladyboys with a knife last year when I was close to my home and it scared the shit out of me. I threw the phone and money on the ground and bolted (as fast as an old bloke can) to my house.

yup and with iPhones these days everythings uplaoded onto the icloud so most of your phone is backed up and gets transferred onto your new phone, not sure how id react if someone tried mugging me
Lol! I want fucking video! Last time that cunt tries to roll someone..

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

taabarang wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:12 pm
I've said it before but it seems to bear repeating; I assume a certain amount of sophistication on the part of my reader. I report Khmer idioms in situ It's up to the individual to decide what. course of action to follow. I report language, I am neither coach nor counsellor.
Absolutely wasn't a dig at you, friend.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I didn't find your comment as a dig. Just a possible implication that that one idiom was a cure all for all potential violent conflicts which would be shite advice against a well armed assailant.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic