Happy Khmer New Year 2018

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Happy Khmer New Year 2018

Post by Anchor Moy »

Well everyone, I just found out that Khmer New Year officially begins on Saturday. Forgive my confusion, but here in Sihanoukville a lot of small businesses have closed already or are working with half the staff. The minivans are already leaving for the provinces, loaded up with motorbikes, washing machines, and karaoke equipment. My laundry lady left this morning and I hope she will be back sometime next week with my clean underwear.
Just like a newbie, I had figured that KNY must start officially on Friday because no one is working after tomorrow, and therefore would finish on Sunday/Monday, Tuesday at worst. There is no drama because I have stocked up on beer, but I have some things to get at the markets in SHV and PP next week. Anyone have an idea if they will be open for business by Wednesday ?
Happy New Year all.
:beer3:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Happy Khmer New Year 2018

Post by StroppyChops »

Can't help with your specific question, but I know that YOU know Khmer people check out a week before the weeks of KNY and Pchum Benh, making each a two-week holiday, with at least a week of vague stupidity before and after each event!

We love our crew and they're showing up for work on time, but it's like daylight saving, we've put the clock forward a week into dumb time.

(If you're a SJW and shocked that I'd say "dumb time" I don't care - it's a thing, get over it. You'll understand when you've lived here long enough.)
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

StroppyChops wrote:Can't help with your specific question, but I know that YOU know Khmer people check out a week before the weeks of KNY and Pchum Benh, making each a two-week holiday, with at least a week of vague stupidity before and after each event!

We love our crew and they're showing up for work on time, but it's like daylight saving, we've put the clock forward a week into dumb time.

(If you're a SJW and shocked that I'd say "dumb time" I don't care - it's a thing, get over it. You'll understand when you've lived here long enough.)
This only happens if the manager allows it. My staff have Friday, Monday and tuesday off. They have penalties if they abuse this.
If you are lax, then people will take advantage of it/you.
Be fair but professional. It’s not a two week holiday, you are the dumb one if it turns into that.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

khmerhamster wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:32 pm
StroppyChops wrote:Can't help with your specific question, but I know that YOU know Khmer people check out a week before the weeks of KNY and Pchum Benh, making each a two-week holiday, with at least a week of vague stupidity before and after each event!

This only happens if the manager allows it. My staff have Friday, Monday and tuesday off. They have penalties if they abuse this.
Be fair but professional. It’s not a two week holiday, you are the dumb one if it turns into that.
I wish I was more like you.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

khmerhamster wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:32 pm

There you go, Tues is not a public holiday, but your staff are not working. Thats fine, but thats why its difficult to know about dates. Stroppy's right - I should know this one week before and after business - some places are open and others are not. And some places are open, but not really working lol.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

What a coincidence! Thailand will start celebrating Songkran on the same day!

Happy Khmer New Year!
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

A family that run a Occheauteal beach bar went for their holiday last week and are back ready to work over the coming daze, err, days!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

The family store on the corner tell us that they will be a) open for KNY and also b) not open for KNY.

We've worked out that the family members who are leaving town say "not open" while the members who are staying to run the store say "open."
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

I get Monday off.

That's it.

A similar thing happens in western countries, shut-down from say 20th December to 2nd January

And no Khmer dumbness (stroppy!) can match the Western retards who start playing Christmas Carols by Kenny G in stores in August.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

that genius wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:09 pm I get Monday off.

That's it.

A similar thing happens in western countries, shut-down from say 20th December to 2nd January

And no Khmer dumbness (stroppy!) can match the Western retards who start playing Christmas Carols by Kenny G in stores in August.
I'm not a conspiracy theorist (usually) but when Easter merchandise starts getting loaded onto store shelves on December 26, I start to think that retailers just really aren't that religious - it almost seems they're only in it for the dollars.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic