Supermarket vs the market

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Supermarket vs the market

Post by that genius »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:04 pm
that genius wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:47 pm

Obviously, Cambodia can't grow their own.
Cambodia can't grow all the vegetables that are imported, potatoes for example. Otherwise the Vietnamese have much more intensive agricultural practices and better infrastructure so it's difficult to compete with their prices.
Intensive agricultural practices can be copied and infrastructure can be improved, that's exactly my point.

There's no valid reason why we shouldn't be growing this stuff (apart from a few items) ourselves.

Prioritisation and motivation.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

that genius wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:17 am
John Bingham wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:04 pm
that genius wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:47 pm

Obviously, Cambodia can't grow their own.
Cambodia can't grow all the vegetables that are imported, potatoes for example. Otherwise the Vietnamese have much more intensive agricultural practices and better infrastructure so it's difficult to compete with their prices.
Intensive agricultural practices can be copied and infrastructure can be improved, that's exactly my point.

There's no valid reason why we shouldn't be growing this stuff (apart from a few items) ourselves.

Prioritisation and motivation.
Growing is not a problem, its selling the produce at a profit that's the issue:
Farmers in Sam Ang commune, Thala Borivath district, in northeastern Cambodia’s Stung Treng province said they have destroyed several tons of pumpkins because plunging prices have left them unable to offset their labor costs.

They have now called on government to help develop the market for their vegetables, they said.

As a result of falling prices, most of them are now heavily indebted, and their lands are subject to confiscation by banks from which they have taken out loans, they said.

Phann Narith, a farmer in Sam Ang commune, said on Thursday that farmers have been concerned for years about falling prices for their produce and a lack of markets where they can sell them, though government institutions have said they would resolve the issue.

Ngeth Chou, an economy and finance expert, considers the falling prices a sensitive issue to which the government must pay attention and not leave farmers in the lurch by having to sell their agricultural products according to their own luck.

He suggests that the government help farmers market their agricultural products as a measure to improve the national economy and reduce the occurrence of various social crises such as migration.https://www.rfa.org/english/news/cambod ... 61356.html
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

doktor_d wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:44 pm You're supposed to buy your meat fresh, early in the morning when the market opens. Not at closing time when it's been hanging around for 12 hours..
And what they don't sell after the days trading, scrape off the fly shit, cut off the green bits, and sell as fresh first thing for you the next morning. :bad:
doktor_d
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by doktor_d »

Fourkinnel wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:25 am
doktor_d wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:44 pm You're supposed to buy your meat fresh, early in the morning when the market opens. Not at closing time when it's been hanging around for 12 hours..
And what they don't sell after the days trading, scrape off the fly shit, cut off the green bits, and sell as fresh first thing for you the next morning. :bad:
Not in my experience.. and I doubt they would even be able to as it would be so obvious that it was old. And it wouldn't be very good for business. So many of the customers are regular buyers..
Alcohol is necessary so that a man can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

On a complete but related tangent, if your egg lady sells you bad eggs, she probably knew they were bad. Takes a few seconds and a cup of water to check the freshness of eggs.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

StroppyChops wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:17 pm On a complete but related tangent, if your egg lady sells you bad eggs, she probably knew they were bad. Takes a few seconds and a cup of water to check the freshness of eggs.
But your egg lady would never sell you bad eggs or bad vegetables for that matter. If you are a regular customer she will keep you happy.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Kuroneko wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:18 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:17 pm On a complete but related tangent, if your egg lady sells you bad eggs, she probably knew they were bad. Takes a few seconds and a cup of water to check the freshness of eggs.
But your egg lady would never sell you bad eggs or bad vegetables for that matter. If you are a regular customer she will keep you happy.
Our egg lady never sells us bad eggs. I've heard other Westerners comment that they always get bad eggs, but it's okay as the poor native has no way of knowing they're bad.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I used to buy a few eggs from my main beer shop. One morning I cracked two into a bowl to make an omelette, and then a third. Unfortunately the third one was really dark green inside and stank like hell. Needless to say the whole three had to be got rid of before I puked. So I threw them on my next door neighbor's roof. I don't believe the shopkeeper knew it was rotten as I've been friendly with her family for more than 5 years, but I never bought eggs there again. :cry:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic