Supermarket vs the market

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Re: Supermarket vs the market

Post by Barang chgout »

Really?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Kushakai
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Kushakai »

Best local market to buy meat?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

one great thing about England is the Big Supermarkets, ridiculously cheap, supermarkets in Cambodia are ridiculous
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Kushakai wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:35 pm Best local market to buy meat?
I never buy meat at markets, something about it sitting there all day in the heat covered in flies puts me off.
one great thing about England is the Big Supermarkets, ridiculously cheap
Yeah, on visits home I'm always surprised how cheap things are compared to here.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:33 pm
I never buy meat at markets, something about it sitting there all day in the heat covered in flies puts me off.
Yeah, on visits home I'm always surprised how cheap things are compared to here.
We buy pork from the local markets, but we always buy early in the day and from the same lady, who clearly understands that if we get a bad piece of meat we ain't coming back to her. Most of the pork we get is restaurant-quality loin. When we want fattier meat for the dog, we have to be very specific and say it's for the dog so as to get meat with fat. Alternatively, we buy fat separately and mix it into the dog food. At a reasonable market, the pig was probably slaughtered the night before it's sold and is fresh - but agreed, don't buy in the afternoons.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:40 pm
We buy pork from the local markets, but we always buy early in the day and from the same lady, who clearly understands that if we get a bad piece of meat we ain't coming back to her. Most of the pork we get is restaurant-quality loin. When we want fattier meat for the dog, we have to be very specific and say it's for the dog so as to get meat with fat. Alternatively, we buy fat separately and mix it into the dog food. At a reasonable market, the pig was probably slaughtered the night before it's sold and is fresh - but agreed, don't buy in the afternoons.
pork is risky , especially in KoW markets where they sell from the floor and wipe with there right hand and dont use soap....
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:53 pm pork is risky , especially in KoW markets where they sell from the floor and wipe with there right hand and dont use soap....
...and pick their nose and scratch their bums before handling the raw product! Yeah, agreed - we actually wash any market meat when we get it home, and then it's either eaten on the day it was bought, or straight into the freezer. To be honest I'd trust a piece of pork from our local market lady more than Lucky Supermarket, which has been intimated to bleach meat that is past it's use-by date before putting back on the shelf.
Kushakai
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Kushakai »

So where do you buy your meat from? Are there any decent butcherys or recommended supermarkets?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Kushakai wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:53 pm
So where do you buy your meat from? Are there any decent butcherys or recommended supermarkets?
There's an excellent Australian butcher in TTP called Strokesy's Meats - they will deliver, and often bring you a bone for the dog if they know you have one. Guy's name is John, he occasionally lurks here.

They're on FB is you're a user - https://www.facebook.com/strokesysmeat/
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:59 pm
Kushakai wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:53 pm
There's an excellent Australian butcher in TTP called Strokesy's Meats - they will deliver, and often bring you a bone for the dog if they know you have one. Guy's name is John, he occasionally lurks here.

They're on FB is you're a user - https://www.facebook.com/strokesysmeat/
strokesys is great :thumb:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic