Growing avocados from pits

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Growing avocados from pits

Post by that genius »

Anybody have any success?

This was a cinch at home, 3 matches, pit, and glass of water, sprouted after a few days.

Not a single one i tried here has split, let alone sprouted.

Any treemongers out there?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Growing avocados from pits

Post by Username Taken »

Are you sure you have the seed right side up?

Put it in a warm spot, not direct sunlight.

If nothing happens after about 6 weeks, ditch it and try again.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

I was wondering if perhaps the locals spray them with formalin, or if keeping them in thr fridge damages them

Have you had any success?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I haven't tried. I don't particularly like avocado unless it's with Mexican food. :)

Are you buying from the market or supermarket? I would go for locally grown rather than imported.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I've done it successfully with about a dozen pits from local avocados , was surprised how quickly they grew.
Transplanted them after about 8 months into one of our plots of land, no idea whether they'll actually do any good and produce fruit, but worth a try, didn't cost me anything.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

We throw them in the ground and they grow. Easy.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I remember doing that thing with the 3 matches way back, and often getting results. I haven't tried it here, but I have a feeling that avocados don't grow too well in the lowlands anyway, most are grown at higher elevations like in Mondulkiri/ Ratanakiri?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:09 pm I remember doing that thing with the 3 matches way back, and often getting results. I haven't tried it here, but I have a feeling that avocados don't grow too well in the lowlands anyway, most are grown at higher elevations like in Mondulkiri/ Ratanakiri?
The above is quite correct withe the exception of the California coast where Hass avocados grow quite well due to cool California breezes. They don't really have a chill factor requirement like apples but they need a cool breeze. Also the.trees are dioecious(sp) requiring both male and female plants whose identity is not identifiable in the seed. Most likely you will get flowers and no fruit.
Last edited by taabarang on Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

true about elevation
however, they fruit in kampong cham and kep
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

550m or so here.