Siem Reap Pub Hostel Cancels Reservation Because They Don't Allow Cambodians

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Siem Reap Pub Hostel Cancels Reservation Because They Don't Allow Cambodians

Post by General Mackevili »

Borum-Ex frm TOForum wrote:Image

For some strange reason the Anti Drug Police shared this post on their timeline on fb...
Damn! Maybe this will end up in The Phnom Penh Post. The Last Hippy Standing sure did.

Good find.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Siem Reap Pub Hostel Cancels Reservation Because They Don't Allow Cambodians

Heng Heng Heng wrote:
General Mackevili wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:24 pm
Heng Heng Heng wrote:
General Mackevili wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:04 pm Yo, dats RACIST!
If the management was Cambodian would they be racist or prudent or something in-between?
Of course it's still racist, and stupid. If you're gonna have racist policies at your hotel, you should at least opt to be RACIST and LIE and say, "sorry, we're booked," instead of RACIST and STUPID and say, "sorry, we don't let Cambodians stay here."
At this point, I don't know if the management are Cambodian or not. The staff that responded to the messages certainly were. If they were Cambodian and banned other Cambodians from staying because they might misplace their shoes or something bad like that, it might not be racist. Like when an African American calls another African American, a nigga, that's not considered racism. But if a white American called an African American a nigga. that's racist and also a death-wish. Maybe it's OK to discriminate against your own group without being a racist. A Khmer woman once showed me around her overpriced rental and told me she would never rent it to any Chinese people. That's probably racist but I respect her right to choose the tenant she wants. Certainly food for thought.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I think a lot of people agree with your take!

I just personally feel racism is racism, no matter who's doing it.

I also find it to be a huge difference in just saying "wazzup my nigga" VS actually barring someone from being your customer based on your race/ethnicity/nationality.

I would also be in favor of allowing businesses to decide their customers based on whatever (right or wrong), and then society can handle their opinion of said businesses.

I mean, we have Affirmative Action in the US, and I don't know how anyone using logic could say it's not racist, but hey, like you said, a lot of people think you can't be "racist" against your own, and that minorities can't be considered racist, so I don't think any of what's going on these days makes any fucking sense, no matter how you slice it or dice it.

I also think movements like #BlackLivesMatter are doing more harm to blacks than the KKK ever could dream of doing to them. If I were black, I wouldn't want any group, especially my own, continuing to label us poor victims, so I don't get what they're trying to accomplish.

Our grandkids are gonna grow up in a different world and ask us, "did people really used to use pronouns that were different for men and women?" :facepalm:

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

So what should we be doing with our shoes, anyhow?
onico
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by onico »

When they stop taking stinky food plus rice cooker in the rooms, putting durian in the fridge provided and they do not sleep 10 people on the floor in a room for 2 people, they may be accepted ?

Since the concept of "racism" is not known in Asia SE, I am no more chocked about this kind of rules...
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Racism and victimhood are well used cards in the US, many a politician and wanna be community organizers have gotten fortune and glory by claiming discrimination in everything! Meanwhile, the real victims suffer.
onico
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by onico »

Fight racism on one side (supposedly). Propaganda on the other hand. For example, there are now good travel agencies to discover North Korean, go there and have a look by yourself ;-)
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Siem Reap Pub Hostel has reached out to CEO and wants to set the record straight. So we can all ignore the emails they have sent to potential Cambodian guests and the audio recoding sent to us from a Cambodian who called them to confirm everything, including the 7 Reasons why they don't allow Cambodian guests, and instead just read their official statement saying that it's all bullshit:

They also told us this:

"hi , Greetingbfrom siem reap pub owner , We need you to help us delete our you tube sound from your calling record video and your post about our hostel in siem reap . thAnks in advance.

This is not good news to know from a bout us."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

General Mackevili wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:12 pm
I also find it to be a huge difference in just saying "wazzup my nigga" VS actually barring someone from being your customer based on your race/ethnicity/nationality.
I also find it to be a huge difference in just saying "wazzup my nigga" VS actually saying "Fuck you you goddamn fucking nigger piece of shit subhuman." It's all in the context.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:44 am Racism and victimhood are well used cards in the US, many a politician and wanna be community organizers have gotten fortune and glory by claiming discrimination in everything! Meanwhile, the real victims suffer.
Who are the 'real victims' ?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:34 am
General Mackevili wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:12 pm
I also find it to be a huge difference in just saying "wazzup my nigga" VS actually saying "Fuck you you goddamn fucking nigger piece of shit subhuman." It's all in the context.
:thumb: spot on;
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic