what I learned from Southeast Asia....

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: what I learned from Southeast Asia....

Post by Beerinthemorning »

coming up 15000 views gimmee a job already CEO.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:12 pm
jmagic wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:39 pm
finbar wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:36 am
Beerinthemorning wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:35 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:30 am What’s wrong with Texas? Transplanted Texan and proud of it. In the KOW, bragging about how poor you are (tell the locals you collect cans for a living) seems to be work better than anything. Even the jaow walk the other way when they see me (joking!).
the SEA expats mentality is to act HI-SO when your not , not the opposite.
Not at all, one of the great attractions of Cambodia used to be that one can could dispense with appearances, and tool around in ragged shorts and t-shirt etc, and no-one judged, except perhaps a few NGO or MNC toilers slaved to desks and office attire.
Sadly these days, one is increasingly expected to dust off the Church's, don proper tailoring, etc.
You think the Khmers didn't and don't judge those types?
Not sure about Khmers, BUT thais do not understand, an look down on, the Farangs that "try" and go local and dress in low class clothes that no thai would ever wear, ( fishermen pants, dirty singlet, unkept hair. For ladies, going around bra-less)
NO thai can understand why anyone from the western world would wish to come to their country and live like a poor local.

More than a few thai friends have asked me why this is so...
Maybe they need to be educated on the party scene of Europe where many come from?

It's normal to look like that on Ko Phangan hadrin if they were playing decent psy trance, for example.

There are a few that don't fit that, but why do the Thai sell fishermen pants and trippy designs if they don't want Westerners to wear them??

:crazy:
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:33 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:12 pm
jmagic wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:39 pm
finbar wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:36 am
Beerinthemorning wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:35 am

the SEA expats mentality is to act HI-SO when your not , not the opposite.
Not at all, one of the great attractions of Cambodia used to be that one can could dispense with appearances, and tool around in ragged shorts and t-shirt etc, and no-one judged, except perhaps a few NGO or MNC toilers slaved to desks and office attire.
Sadly these days, one is increasingly expected to dust off the Church's, don proper tailoring, etc.
You think the Khmers didn't and don't judge those types?
Not sure about Khmers, BUT thais do not understand, an look down on, the Farangs that "try" and go local and dress in low class clothes that no thai would ever wear, ( fishermen pants, dirty singlet, unkept hair. For ladies, going around bra-less)
NO thai can understand why anyone from the western world would wish to come to their country and live like a poor local.

More than a few thai friends have asked me why this is so...
Maybe they need to be educated on the party scene of Europe where many come from?

It's normal to look like that on Ko Phangan hadrin if they were playing decent psy trance, for example.

There are a few that don't fit that, but why do the Thai sell fishermen pants and trippy designs if they don't want Westerners to wear them??

:crazy:
Thais loves money, they dont want westerners living in there country but Tolerate us for the billions of baht in tourist dollars.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:47 amThais loves money, they dont want westerners living in there country but Tolerate us for the billions of baht in tourist dollars.
Much like Australia then.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Who doesn't like money? I love money too tell you the truth. Problem is money is hard to come by for a salesman paddling screws, sigh.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

yong wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:09 am Who doesn't like money? I love money too tell you the truth. Problem is money is hard to come by for a salesman paddling screws, sigh.
for a salesman peddling screws, u sure seem to get around alot and eat VERY WELL :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:46 am
yong wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:09 am Who doesn't like money? I love money too tell you the truth. Problem is money is hard to come by for a salesman paddling screws, sigh.
for a salesman peddling screws, u sure seem to get around alot and eat VERY WELL :beer3:

Yea, something sounds a bit screwy about the job.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

For a screw salesman, he taps a good thread
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

for a screw saleman, he gets a lot of head
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

When a lunatic rapes someone...

Nut screws and bolts
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic