Solo trip to Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Dcracken
Tourist
United States of America

Solo trip to Phnom Penh

Post by Dcracken »

Hello,

I am 35yr old American guy planning a trip to Phnom Penh. I have traveled a bit; Mexico, Peru, Italy, Turkey, England, but this will be my first solo trip. I am a teacher and use my vacations to travel. I have always wanted to go to southeast asia. I had some Khmer and Vietnamese friends growing up, also studied Muay Thai(martial arts) for a few years, love the food and am a bit fascinated of what I know of the culture and Cambodias turbulent history.

My question is concerning safety. I am from Chicago and have been in many big cities and have never had problems with security and I feel like i I can handle myself pretty well, but if outnumbered, facing weapons, HAHA…thats no fun!

When i read about safety in Cambodia some make it seem like it is very sketchy and unsafe to walk around at night or even during the day by yourself. Still others say it is very safe and the biggest problem you will face is petty crime;pickpocketing, snatch and grabs, etc.

So I would appreciate some info from those who would know the most about the safety situation. One Khmer friend that has not been to Cambodia since he was a kid said you should never take out your iPhone even in broad daylight. Really!!
I was planning to stay at the White Mansion Hotel and would like to walk around that area( street 240 seems cool).
Thanks for your help!
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Solo trip to Phnom Penh

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I’ve been here 10 years and have never felt threatened once. That’s during the day or walking around absolutely hammered at 3-4 am.

Just keep your wits about you and use common sense.

Bag / phone snatchings are a thing though so be careful of your surroundings when you have your phone out when out.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:31 am I’ve been here 10 years and have never felt threatened once. That’s during the day or walking around absolutely hammered at 3-4 am.

Just keep your wits about you and use common sense.

Bag / phone snatchings are a thing though so be careful of your surroundings when you have your phone out when out.
Just as kiwi says, you will probably feel safer here than in Chicago, I know I feel safer here than in oz.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Exactly. I feel safer walking around Phnom Penh late at night than some of New Zealands cities.

If you are unfortunate enough to be robbed here just hand over your stuff and don’t resist. They won’t kill you like they would in NZ, and am sure Chicago, to get credit with some gang or whatnot.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

I don't feel unsafe here but common sense says don't

Let a tuk tuk driver take you anywhere of his choosing. Know where you want to go and don't respond to " You want lady, cheap?"
Don't walk in dark places you don't know what is in there.
Don't take street girls home . They may be drug users, have a pimp that follows you home,insist you take a shower and while you are in there scope out what you have and what they can steal (open door for pimp)
Don't Flash you cash about. That is only an invitation to get rolled.
Take only what you can afford to lose when you go out. If day time you don't need hundreds of dollars,your credit/debit cards etc. Leave them at home.At night time the same applies. If in the event you get mugged then you don't lose much.
Don't use your phone out on the street. Don't wear expensive jewelry. No need to make yourself a target.

Just a few things to consider but as I said common sense will see you have a great tome here.
Enjoy your trip

Ps. no none of these things have happened to me but I do know people (both male and female) who have had these things happen to them. =@
up2u
Tourist
Jamaica

Post by up2u »

Dcracken, huh?

Some wind-up. A bit windy too.

You know perfectly well how to find me.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

The biggest problem in phnom Penh is motorbike bag snatching and con artists. Apart from this its no different from any other south east asian city.You'll be fine as long as you behave like a normal person and don't fall for any" too good to be true" scams.

You'll find it a bit like Peru in terms of costs and it has a more relaxed vibe.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

It's pretty safe here, although, they're right when they say don't take out your iphone in public day or night, because you'll be embarrassed when the guy next to you pulls out a later model. But seriously, it's not safe to carelessly hold out a mobile phone near the roadside as snatch and grabs are common. I never wear a backpack on a motorbike taxi. I carry it between me and the driver. Keep an eye on to your stuff when you're in a tuk tuk coming from the airport, or get a taxi as they aren't expensive. Although, I've never heard of anyone getting pick-pocketed, I always carry my wallet or cash in my front pocket just in case. I never carry more money that I can afford to lose. I've been here nearly 12 years. The worst that's happened to me was once a ladyboy grabbed a phone out of a loose pocket when I was really drunk and walking home alone along a dark street. My fault entirely. Now, I always keep about $3-$4 for a tuk tuk home. I feel safer here than any western city, day or night.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Yea it's fine un less you get drunk and open yourself up to be taken advantage of because of that.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

When I lived there, moto taxi riders would often offer anything under the sun -- drugs of all kinds, girls, whatever. Tell him you don't want anything and to take you to where you want to go. End of discussion. Always say no. The drugs have been known to be fake or dangerous.

And beware of Filipinos striking up a conversation to try to entice you into a card scam. Is that still a thing in PP?

As others said, if you're drunk and wobbly, get the bar to hail you a tuktuk. Hopefully they know the guy will take you home and sometimes the drivers are moonlighting cops.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic