Incident: Russian Embassy Car Hits a Drug Squad Car in Attempted Hit and Run

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Incident: Russian Embassy Car Hits a Drug Squad Car in Attempted Hit and Run

Post by epidemiks »

bolueeleh wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:00 am
epidemiks wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:22 am
bolueeleh wrote:
that genius wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:18 am Interesting factoid: this is why you see Khmers selling cars on Facebook but hiding the plate, it indicates the age of the car. I thought it was because it was nicked, LOL
u know the age of the car by that 2xx infront of the number, this year its up to 2BB now for phnom penh if im not mistaken, they hide their number is becoz of privacy issue, anyway u can skirt around and hide the car age by registering in amother province then 2xx will change to that province sequence
It has nothing to do with the age of the car. The year is usually always listed in car ads. It shows when the car was first registered in Cambodia.

Virgins with the latest sequence meabing that they haven't been ravaged by Khmer mechanics and have 'no hit' (aside from the 100mph head on impact listed in the vin report) are obviously preferable.
yes, you are correct, in this case i think that genius means the age of the car refering to how many years its been on the road in cambodia, so the plate does reflect that, in most cases
It's the internet. Semantics matters. The first registration might be two years after it was first imported. People drive around without registering and plating cars all the time. Granted, less so since they started giving a damn about such things at police HQ, but until 2015/16 it seemed a quarter of cars on the road had no tax or plate.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Incident: Russian Embassy Car Hits a Drug Squad Car in Attempted Hit and Run

Post by bolueeleh »

epidemiks wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:23 am
bolueeleh wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:00 am
epidemiks wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:22 am
bolueeleh wrote:
that genius wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:18 am Interesting factoid: this is why you see Khmers selling cars on Facebook but hiding the plate, it indicates the age of the car. I thought it was because it was nicked, LOL
u know the age of the car by that 2xx infront of the number, this year its up to 2BB now for phnom penh if im not mistaken, they hide their number is becoz of privacy issue, anyway u can skirt around and hide the car age by registering in amother province then 2xx will change to that province sequence
It has nothing to do with the age of the car. The year is usually always listed in car ads. It shows when the car was first registered in Cambodia.

Virgins with the latest sequence meabing that they haven't been ravaged by Khmer mechanics and have 'no hit' (aside from the 100mph head on impact listed in the vin report) are obviously preferable.
yes, you are correct, in this case i think that genius means the age of the car refering to how many years its been on the road in cambodia, so the plate does reflect that, in most cases
It's the internet. Semantics matters. The first registration might be two years after it was first imported. People drive around without registering and plating cars all the time. Granted, less so since they started giving a damn about such things at police HQ, but until 2015/16 it seemed a quarter of cars on the road had no tax or plate.
yup, i drove around for few months without plates, just show them the paper that says "its in the process" when ever popo stops me, works even the paper has expired, just do the no speak khmer routine follow by small tea money :ROFL:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

bolueeleh wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:37 am
Do you mean my car comes from the future if it's 2BE ? :lol:

The sequence in still in 2A(something). You can choose(buy) your car plate number in Cambodia and everybody knows how khmer believes in number 8)
Don't forget the water buffalo
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

its alr 2B(something) long time ago mate
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic