Incident: Russian Embassy Car Hits a Drug Squad Car in Attempted Hit and Run

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
the other one
Tourist
Switzerland

Re: Incident: Russian Embassy Car Hits a Drug Squad Car in Attempted Hit and Run

Post by the other one »

oops.
and what about a drug test for the "individual claiming to be a police officer working for the drug squad".
would be a obvious thing o do...

guess that would be a very "positiv" outcome.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Incident: Russian Embassy Car Hits a Drug Squad Car in Attempted Hit and Run

Post by John Bingham »

the other one wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:59 am
from where does the money come from for such a fancy car.....
What fancy car? That RX330?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

iirc, two guys stole a car belonging to the Australian Embassy, maybe around 2002

They were found shot dead in the car a day or so later

Rather leave CD plated cars alone
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

*My Bad*

Well, a civilian just "attacked" a whole country, let's see how it goes.
Last edited by Kayve on Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Don't forget the water buffalo
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Speaking of plates....

Downstairs at my apartment I have noticed a red plate with yellow numbers and a yellow border around it. Any idea what this is? Never seen it before.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:22 am Speaking of plates....

Downstairs at my apartment I have noticed a red plate with yellow numbers and a yellow border around it. Any idea what this is? Never seen it before.
Steering wheel on the wrong side. :stir:
Don't forget the water buffalo
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

"In a minor accident, a Lexus, driven by an individual claiming to be a police officer working for the drug squad, was scraped on the right hand side by a Kia belonging to the Russian Embassy. The unidentified foreign driver in the Kia then took off at high speed attempting to flee the scene of the accident. After a high-speed chase, he was caught by police near the Ministry of National Defense."

Am I missing something here? Every one seems to be against the police officer, rather than the foreigner yet the foreign driver was the cause of the accident and proceeded to "flee the scene" which is clearly in breach of Article 36 item 4 which states:
Leaving from the accident site is prohibited prior reaching the agreement or without the permission from the traffic police. The foreigner clearly broke the law and being a diplomat his behavior also depicts his country in a bad light. I assume he will get reprimanded for his behavior.

The officer gave chase to apprehend the person which seems reasonable. However he did over react by damaging the vehicle and was in violation of item 3 of Article 36 which states: Violence is strictly forbidden be tween the two related parties.

Of course he was in the wrong also and exacerbated what could have been a resolvable situation, in accordance with Article 39: If one of the accident parties is the official working in the Embassy or ambassador, the traffic police shall make the statement and report on this accident to be sent to Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation in order to assign one of its representatives to collaborate with the traffic police to study and raise appropriate measure.
I assume he will be educated on the fact. :D
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:22 am Speaking of plates....

I think it's the old style plate for govt. There are not many around.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I'm pretty sure the red plates are for right-hand drive vehicles.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Username Taken wrote:I'm pretty sure the red plates are for right-hand drive vehicles.
I'm pretty sure you're correct.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic