American Matthew Brian White commits suicide and burns down house in Chonburi province

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

American Matthew Brian White commits suicide and burns down house in Chonburi province

Post by Cam Nivag »

It looks like he may have burned the house down out of spite before hanging himself, so that his Thai in laws didn't get it. Not sure.

https://www.stickboybkk.com/news/foreig ... e-hanging/

He wrote this on the wall:

"Are you happy now? you and your family have taken an stolen everything from me, including my Daughter and my life! Now you have all exactily what you wanted!"

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=mayrisa%20white
xxxxxxx
Expatriate

Re: American Matthew Brian White commits suicide and burns down house in Chonburi province

Post by xxxxxxx »

Cam Nivag wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:38 am It looks like he may have burned the house down out of spite before hanging himself, so that his Thai in laws didn't get it.
He wrote this on the wall:

"Are you happy now? you and your family have taken an stolen everything from me, including my Daughter and my life! Now you have all exactily what you wanted!"
Don't be silly, Matthew. They only ever wanted your money. Your life meant nothing to them.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: American Matthew Brian White commits suicide and burns down house in Chonburi province

Post by that genius »

I think his point was they can't touch him now, even put him in jail, and he is well rid of them.

The family's neighbours will be slurping up this gossip, and the family will lose muchos face, it's a very effective tactical move, just a pity it involved loss of life.

It's surprising how much locals are affected by something like this, many of them are very superstitious and are shit-scared of ghosts.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

From the article "with his hands cuffed behind his back." ???
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

that genius wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:02 am I think his point was they can't touch him now, even put him in jail, and he is well rid of them.

The family's neighbours will be slurping up this gossip, and the family will lose muchos face, it's a very effective tactical move, just a pity it involved loss of life.

It's surprising how much locals are affected by something like this, many of them are very superstitious and are shit-scared of ghosts.
The superstition could play a large part here. In China the suicide rate for women is far higher than men by about 3 to 1, and unlike other countries in China it is used by women as an act of revenge. Quite a bit of literature on this, eg:

Rebellion and revenge: the meaning of suicide of women in rural China Liu Meng First published: 4 February 2003 https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf ... 2397.00239

In this article, the ethnographic data are used to explore the special meaning of the suicide act in a Chinese family and its impact on the other family members. Research has shown that suicide may have a different meaning in the Chinese context, especially for women with an inferior status within the family. Suicide is taken as an act of revenge in a moral and spiritual sense. The act of suicide is very powerful; it grants the woman so much power that she may achieve what she could not during her lifetime. The suicide event remains in the collective memory of the relatives and other people who knew the person. Its powerful meaning is related to the memory of the transgressive event of taking one’s own life as well as to the collective and personal guilt connected with the event.https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf ... 2397.00239

Culture, risk factors and suicide in rural China: a psychological autopsy case control study. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2004 Dec; 110(6): 430–437 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2730492/
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I don't know at what point it became clear to me we are worthless to Thai girls, but I will have nothing to do with them. This applies to all of them at any economic stratum you care to name, whether she has an MBA or an STD. Our only function is to be milked and discarded.

There were some other equally sad stories added to the thread. Read the story of ajanmarc whose GF used the family truck, which was almost paid off, as collateral for a secret 500,000 baht loan. She did the same to the motorcycle. The poor sod got no answer to his question, where is the money?

Had to quit reading the thread as the snarky, nasty replies infuriated me. But that's Thaivisa, the sinkhole of gutter expats.
FemaleExpat2018
Tourist
United States of America

Post by FemaleExpat2018 »

Love knowing men see that Thai women, and their families, look at foreign men as fodder and fast cash. More foreign men need to be warned and so do their families who may believe this is a positive for young men. 'Save' a poor, or wealthy, Thai woman and pay with your life or life savings.
FemaleExpat2018
Tourist
United States of America

Post by FemaleExpat2018 »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:12 am From the article "with his hands cuffed behind his back." ???
Of course the authorities will quickly write this off as a suicide. Too many suicides in Thailand with knives in the back and hands tied behind backs. Almost each one involved a relationship with a Thai and money.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

FemaleExpat2018 wrote:Love knowing men see that Thai women, and their families, look at foreign men as fodder and fast cash. More foreign men need to be warned and so do their families who may believe this is a positive for young men. 'Save' a poor, or wealthy, Thai woman and pay with your life or life savings.
Do you date Thai/Asian men or what?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
RogueAnt
Expatriate
French Polynesia

Post by RogueAnt »

Sad story, especially for his daughter.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic