Another Cambodian maid escapes from Saudi Arabia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Another Cambodian maid escapes from Saudi Arabia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

PHNOM PENH - On 26 March 2018, Man Kiros, a 28-year-old from Tbong Khmum province, arrived back in Cambodia, repatriated from Saudi Arabia after one year of working as a maid without being paid. She is the third maid to be repatriated from Saudi Arabia recently. However, it is reported that the recruitment agency that sent her to work in Saudi Arabia is not the same agency used in the previous two cases. An investigation is underway.
Many other Cambodian maids are believed to be held in Saudi Arabia under similar circumstances. The women are sent to SA and other countries in the Middle East with promises of earning $220 a month as household domestic workers, but often they are badly treated and not paid in accordance with their contract. The broker agencies are illegal, but the women are usually poor and desperate to earn money for their families.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Another Cambodian maid escapes from Saudi Arabia

Link to thread on the subject of Cambodian maids previously repatriated from Saudi Arabia here:
newsworthy/cambodian-woman-appeals-face ... i%20Arabia
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Maid rescued from Saudi Arabia
29 March 2018
A 28-year-old maid was repatriated from Saudi Arabia on Monday, the third maid to be rescued from the Gulf state in the past five months, after going through brokers in Vietnam.

In a filmed interview with local media at the airport, Mhan Kiros, a Cham Muslim woman from Tbong Khmum province, said she travelled to Saudi Arabia more than a year and a half ago to work as a maid.

Once there, however, her employer did not pay what was promised, Kiros said. When she returned to her agency, managers seized her earnings and passport and sent her to clean different houses every day for four months without pay.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... udi-arabia

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

This is the great country the US and UK, among others, are supporting, when they know that this shit and much worse happens.

Oh, but it's OK selling them arms to commit genocide in Yemen, they allow women to drive now.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Yup, and rape and illegal detention by employers is very, very frequent.

But we support them because they support us against that nasty Iran and that man Assad who wont let us steal his country's oil
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodian appeals to PM for repatriation
23 May 2018
A Cambodian woman who went to Saudi Arabia five years ago to work as a maid has posted a video to her Facebook page pleading for the help of Prime Minister HE after alleging she has endured years of abuse.

Ken Chantha, 38, also claimed her passport was being held by her employer.

Chantha, from Salakamroek commune in Siem Reap province, said she has worked in four different households over the course of five years, and hadn’t been able to reach the person who sent her to work there. A distraught Chantha pleaded for word to reach HE.

“Please help me, share this video so that it reaches our prime minister so that I can get help. I don’t know who can help me in Saudi Arabia, so I am appealing to Cambodians to help me,” she said.

Chantha described the hardships she has allegedly endured and the dishonesty of her employers.

“When I worked with the first employer, they beat me regularly and caused one of my legs to break. I was always hungry,” she said.

“After 10 months, they sent me to work with another employer. He told me his wife didn’t have children, so I thought it wouldn’t be so bad. But after seven months this employer sent me to work with his second wife, who has six children, and they only let me eat at 7pm.”

After Chantha’s appeal to her employer about his wife’s abuse was ignored, she threatened to escape and report the matter to the police.

Fearing the law, she said, the husband sent her to a fourth household where her predicament improved.
“But after my contract ended, they refused to let me return to Cambodia. My passport was held by them as well,’’ Chantha said.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... patriation

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

That's deplorable. It's not exactly exceptional though, Cambodian migrants to neighboring states often suffer horrific conditions and terrible abuse, and who even knows what happens those who go to the Gulf? There need to be better support systems so people can check back home and not undergo years of slavery.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Another Cambodian maid has escaped from mistreatment in Saudi Arabia.
Phnom Penh: On 04 July 2018 at 9:30 am, Ken Chantha, from Seim Reap province, arrived back in Cambodia, repatriated from Saudi Arabia after 4 years of working as a maid without being paid. She is the fourth maid to be repatriated from Saudi Arabia. As there is no Cambodian embassy in that country, it is difficult and time consuming for the Cambodian authorities to help victims there.

The victim flew from Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, on July 03, through Bangkok, and arrived in Phnom Penh international airport on July 04.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Well she wasn't starved. She may have been beaten or raped, though. Dubai and other so-called liberal states also have terrible abuses going on, remember a scary article about filipina maids there several years ago.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic