Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

Post by Cam Nivag »

I've seen posts on two different Facebook groups from people this week saying banks (or at least ABA bank) won't allow withdrawals from your account unless you show a valid visa. Is that true? New rule, apparently.

If this is true, I can't think of a valid reason for it other than to f*ck with people who overstay their visas.

I mean, if the bank just wanted to confirm the account holder's identity, this could be done by looking at the "face page" of the passport, not checking for a valid visa.

Have any overstayers been denied their own money at a bank despite producing a passport because their visa is expired? I haven't seen any reports of that specifically, but overstayers generally don't admit to overstaying on Facebook.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Cam Nivag wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:03 pm I've seen posts on two different Facebook groups from people this week saying banks (or at least ABA bank) won't allow withdrawals from your account unless you show a valid visa. Is that true? New rule, apparently.

If this is true, I can't think of a valid reason for it other than to f*ck with people who overstay their visas.

I mean, if the bank just wanted to confirm the account holder's identity, this could be done by looking at the "face page" of the passport, not checking for a valid visa.

Have any overstayers been denied their own money at a bank despite producing a passport because their visa is expired? I haven't seen any reports of that specifically, but overstayers generally don't admit to overstaying on Facebook.
who waits 30minutes at ABA just to withdraws money, just use the bloody ATM, ive taken at least $800 out in one go from my ABA Account,
if you needed more than that, then id probably expect security measures
the only time i go into the bank is when im making deposits (or when i got my card swallowed by the ATM when drunkenly putting the wrong Pin in too many times lol)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

Post by Cam Nivag »

Good question. One of the reports was from someone who went to ABA to receive a moneygram, not to withdraw his cash from his account. They copied his visa and he had to sign it. I wonder if Western Union does this too. That might affect the Nigerian community who sometimes get cash by Western Union/Moneygram and sometimes have overstayers.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Cam Nivag wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:30 pm Good question. One of the reports was from someone who went to ABA to receive a moneygram, not to withdraw his cash from his account. They copied his visa and he had to sign it. I wonder if Western Union does this too. That might affect the Nigerian community who sometimes get cash by Western Union/Moneygram and sometimes have overstayers.
i received some money via western union before, im sure i needed my passport, i think mainly for ID though, im sure it got scanned, cant remember if they did the visa too or not, i think its standard practice though, they photocopy passport and visa when you check into hotels n shit dont they? why wouldnt they do it in this scenario too,
if your Visa is valid i dont see why people would have a problem enough to complain on Facebook, if your Visa isnt up to date, i think theyve got bigger problems to deal with
:facepalm:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The screw is turning on non-compliant westerners now. Maybe some overstayed their welcome, as well as their visas. Things are going to get more difficult for everybody now.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
onico
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by onico »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:06 am The screw is turning on non-compliant westerners now. Maybe some overstayed their welcome, as well as their visas. Things are going to get more difficult for everybody now.
Hopefully, comfort and quality of life are improving everyday in Cambodia.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

onico wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:17 am
John Bingham wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:06 am The screw is turning on non-compliant westerners now. Maybe some overstayed their welcome, as well as their visas. Things are going to get more difficult for everybody now.
Hopefully, comfort and quality of life are improving everyday in Cambodia.
That's been true for many years. Unfortunately many foreigners spend short periods here and don't understand that.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

I went and took three grand out of my ABA account a couple of months ago and just showed them my passbook. Could have been anyone.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

cptrelentless wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:15 am I went and took three grand out of my ABA account a couple of months ago and just showed them my passbook. Could have been anyone.
Yeah, people are saying the visa check is new.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Let’s hear from the expat workers in jobs in this new Cambodia. ( and not just the couple of middle men who everyone arse licks )
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic