Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

Post by pczz »

Cam Nivag wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:03 pm I've seen posts on two different Facebook groups from people this week saying banks (or at least ABA bank) won't allow withdrawals from your account unless you show a valid visa. Is that true? New rule, apparently.

If this is true, I can't think of a valid reason for it other than to f*ck with people who overstay their visas.

I mean, if the bank just wanted to confirm the account holder's identity, this could be done by looking at the "face page" of the passport, not checking for a valid visa.

Have any overstayers been denied their own money at a bank despite producing a passport because their visa is expired? I haven't seen any reports of that specifically, but overstayers generally don't admit to overstaying on Facebook.
The bank have always checked visas if they pay you interest. Residents pay less tax on interest than non-residents. You are resident if your visa is for 6 months or more.
Start of rant
And will people please stop complaining about being victimised by the cambodin state. Try being a cambodina getting a visa for the US and imagine what would happen if he went to a bank with an exoired visa. Swat would be called.
Just cos your white and wealthier than the locals does not mean they have to cut you slack and treat you like some sort of uber colonnial master race. Obey the law and stop whinging fer chrissakes, or go home
End of rant
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Re: Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

Post by Cambo Dear »

One of the great things about Cambodian banks and ABA particularly, is their online banking. If online banking exists, from which you can transfer money to/from anywhere, when would they need or be able to check your visa status? Sounds weird. If anyone is worried, use an ATM or transfer the money somewhere else.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

as above;
do all ur banking online or via atm's
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:30 am as above;
do all ur banking online or via atm's
Tha banks are required to check your visa when they open the account and periodically thereafter.
ABA told me you cannot transfer funds outside cambodia using the app, you have o go in branch and present your passport.
Acleda toan chet doe snot let you do transfers but Acleda online banking does. Have not cheked it.
As far as I am aware transfers between banks in cambodia are riel only. SO if you want to send $1000 from an acleda account to an ABA account it can only be done in riels.
You can transfer USD between branches of the same bank, but there are fees.
AMK claim that you can send money to an AMK savings account from abroad provided you have an Account with I think Acelda, Canadia or ABA but do not quote me
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic