Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

Post by Gardiguy »

I was at Phillips 2 weeks ago and withdrew money and also reset my app password and they just confirmed my passport, no visa check. I do know that the ATMs for my ABA account have never asked me for my visa for withdrawals or deposits.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

Post by beaker »

Like banks world wide they will take advantage of every excuse possible to keep your money
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:36 pm
Cam Nivag wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:30 pm Good question. One of the reports was from someone who went to ABA to receive a moneygram, not to withdraw his cash from his account. They copied his visa and he had to sign it. I wonder if Western Union does this too. That might affect the Nigerian community who sometimes get cash by Western Union/Moneygram and sometimes have overstayers.
if your Visa is valid i dont see why people would have a problem enough to complain on Facebook, if your Visa isnt up to date, i think theyve got bigger problems to deal with
:facepalm:
This, kind of a non issue really. Just don't overstay
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I withdrew three grand from Acleda this morning and deposited it into my ABA account.

No ID required. No notice in ABA about any change in their rules.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

I don't see how they would enforce this on ATM withdrawals.

I suppose they could register the visa expiry date and link it to your account.

Sneaky
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

I agree with cautious colin. It is a non issue, Why wouldn't you have an up to date visa? I mean lets face it anyone without a visa i.e. an overstayer is highly unlikely to have anything left in the bank to withdraw anyway and if they do it is probably a good idea the bank hangs onto it o pay the overstay fines they are racking up. :stir:
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

This is a bit off topic, but does anyone know of a bank where you can open a savings account with a tourist visa?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
davebodia
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by davebodia »

Canadia and Acleda don't even require I.D. let alone a current visa.

Edit: Unless of course they've changed their rules over the past couple of months.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

taabarang wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:53 am This is a bit off topic, but does anyone know of a bank where you can open a savings account with a tourist visa?
ABA - passport is all you need for basic savings account
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I use ANZ. Never been asked for ID, let alone visa...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic