13 years ago today

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: 13 years ago today

Post by phuketrichard »

From Hunter Thompson’s ESPN.com column on 9/12/01:
The towers are gone now, reduced to bloody rubble, along with all hopes for Peace in Our Time, in the United States or any other country. Make no mistake about it: We are At War now — with somebody — and we will stay At War with that mysterious Enemy for the rest of our lives.

It will be a Religious War, a sort of Christian Jihad, fueled by religious hatred and led by merciless fanatics on both sides. It will be guerilla warfare on a global scale, with no front lines and no identifiable enemy.

We are going to punish somebody for this attack, but just who or what will be blown to smithereens for it is hard to say. Maybe Afghanistan, maybe Pakistan or Iraq, or possibly all three at once. Who knows? Not even the Generals in what remains of the Pentagon or the New York papers calling for WAR seem to know who did it or where to look for them.

This is going to be a very expensive war, and Victory is not guaranteed — for anyone, and certainly not for anyone as baffled as George W. Bush. All he knows is that his father started the war a long time ago, and that he, the goofy child-President, has been chosen by Fate and the global Oil industry to finish it Now. He will declare a National Security Emergency and clamp down Hard on Everybody, no matter where they live or why. If the guilty won’t hold up their hands and confess, he and the Generals will ferret them out by force.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

StroppyChops wrote:And Noam Chomsky (the debunked 'millennials' educationalist and master of media self-promotion) is relevant... how?
Chomsky the master of media self promotion ? Given the fact that he is the scientist alive that is the most cited in scientific publication, write more than 100 hundred books, numerous scientific publication but is less know to the general public than let say the Baldwin brother, if his goal is self promotion he is clearly very bad at it.

But if it make you happy to believe in a conspiracy be free to believe. Of course that will change nothing to the fact that if I was an American (fortunately not the case) I would not focus so much on the attack but on the politic choice that follow and minor things like :

- Yes that third world country that 10 years ago we completely destroy military ( yes destroy their tank, their plan, their factory almost everything big enough to aim a missile at ect man what a conflict took us the most part of two weeks and we had ONE casualty, a typewriter sprain her wrist ) before putting in place a blocus even more sever than Cuba ( pencil lead forbidden, you can use the lead to enrich uranium) had somehow find a way to organize an attack on US soil ( the aim of the attack not being quite clear, as the benefits for Irak are not really self evident) and to construct weapon of mass destruction.

- Yes we are there to bring democracy in the region, the local are begging for it.

- The patriot act

and so on so on

In brief all those little thing that if they are not as spectacular as the 9/11 event, still have a real impact on the everyday life of U.S citizen ( guess who will pay for the double " why and what are we doing here " wars, I suppose that the fact that HUGE amount of money had been borrow to China is also without any consequence.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

ryoon wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:And Noam Chomsky (the debunked 'millennials' educationalist and master of media self-promotion) is relevant... how?
Chomsky the master of media self promotion ? Given the fact that he is the scientist alive that is the most cited in scientific publication, write more than 100 hundred books, numerous scientific publication but is less know to the general public than let say the Baldwin brother, if his goal is self promotion he is clearly very bad at it.
Sorry, you lost me. What? Chomsky is one of the most debunked educationalists of the past decade or so. What IS your point? His 'theories' on millennial learners are based on how smart he perceived his grandchild to be, and spending time with high school kids learning what every educator already knows - schools and education are fundamentally broken. What you may have learned about Chomsky in the first year of an arts degree is corrected in the second year, or the university is teaching material that is decades obsolete. How is this relevant to the topic?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

To debunk : To expose or ridicule the falseness, sham, or exaggerated claims of XXX
Exactly what theory are you speaking about ? Chomsky is know for various thing ( among other his expertise on politic which was the reason I am mentioning him in this discussion ) but no educational theory to my knowledge, although he criticize the US educational system .

And end of this discussion (of more precisely of my participation I suspect ) I did some shameful thing in my life but being caught in a debate on a 9/11 conspiracy will not be one of them.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

ryoon wrote:And end of this discussion (of more precisely of my participation I suspect ) I did some shameful thing in my life but being caught in a debate on a 9/11 conspiracy will not be one of them.
More than happy for you to have the last word there.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

Claims both Airplanes and Thermite Bombs video:
Listen from approx 30:00 to 37:00 minutes. Prior knowledge of attack.
Last edited by Milord on Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

for partisans of any of the various theories of what really happened- by now, everyone has had time to form unshakable opinions on the subject.

debate will not serve to further illuminate the subject.

undoubtedly the world is permanently at war, and the decline seems to be accelerating.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

This was new to me.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

One thing this anniversary is always good for is exposing the "inside job" nutters.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Milord wrote:Claims both Airplanes and Thermite Bombs video:
Listen from approx 30:00 to 37:00 minutes. Prior knowledge of attack.
WoW, I watched way too much of that.

The guy at the very beginning that introduces her definitely sets the right tone. He is a trip.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic