13 years ago today

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: 13 years ago today

Post by General Mackevili »

I was sleeping in (of course).

Got a call from my mom to turn on the telly. I remember she said scared.

Went downstairs, and was shocked to see the building smoking and it was still being debated about whether it was an "accident."

As I'm on the phone with my mom, the SECOND one crashed into the other building. There was a little confusion, as we assumed it must have been a replay. It wasn't.

Then I went to college as usual, and everyone was glued to the tv.

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

Completely non significant (but spectacular) event in itself.
How the emotion was exploited by the power in place was pretty interesting.
The U.S was going down for some time, but the decline both economically and politically accentuated rapidly past this point.

The most amazing is that you still have people who speak about conspiracy theory ( really the bush administration who was everything but effective would have been able to pull off a false attack of this magnitude ? Seriously ? I mean get real we all need fairy tales to live but an administration succeeding in keeping ANYTHING secret is a little far fetch) but there is a kind a big silence on : why did they went in irak afterward ?
By the why this is also the opinion of Noam chomsky, ask about it he explained: to organized something like this is quite complex and would necessitate both time and to involve a large number of people the chance of an U.S government or organization trying it are zero because they would know right at the beginning that they would be caught .

You look at the amount of money spend on irak and the number of live (both local and U.S) lost there ( it is worth mentioning the results obtain) and you would think that for a nation very book keeping and accountability oriented this would be a subject for debate.

In asia in general this was seen at what it was, irrational emotional reaction who was exploited to promote a political agenda. Political agenda being quite a big word here as the event who followed were marked by the inept, non professional and fantasy oriented view of the world of the bush administration.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I honestly forget. Where do the people who think those weren't planes think the actual planes went?

I'm not saying I'm convinced who actually pulled this thing off, but I do remember video clips that did look like the towers broke/exploded near the bottom before crumbling down from the top.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

StroppyChops wrote:
Username Taken wrote:There have only been two times in the history of aviation that an aircraft has crashed on land without leaving any debris. Coincidentally, they both happened on this day 13 years ago.
Hologram-shrouded missiles, right?

(http://en.wikipedia.org/?title=9/11_con ... nes_theory)
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

I was at work (shock horror, yes I did work once)
My boss came up to me and said that two planes had hit the world trade center. I said, "what, like little Cessna's?"

He replied,"no, big ones"

"Bullshit!"

I turned on the television just as the Pentagon was hit. Couldn't believe my eyes. Knew at that moment that it was a world changing event. Much like the moon landing was for my parents.

I'll never forget that day.

RIP to the innocent.
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

My neighbor.

I was with his son the day they killed Bin Laden....he was very happy.

So do me a solid and check yourself with the conspiracy nonsense and other utter horseshit.

My godfather survived 71st floor dean witter section south tower. He said everyone is really calm when it happened. He was about 10 flights down when his floor got hit..everybody stood still thinking the building was going to fall over..he felt almost horizontal and then the building swayed back into place(LIKE IT WAS DESIGNED TO FUCKING DO). Once swayed back everyone moved quicker but this fat chick was going slow. Now everyone wasnt saying word in the stair well until my uncles secretary Flipped to shit on the fat lady. Till this day when ever he sees her they share a laugh about the fat lady in the south tower. :thumb:

Now my best friend who is much older then me was the lead mortician and examiner. Alot of body parts ended up in the Hudson river cause of the heat carried large chunks over the river and even into New Jersey!

I got many stories from them but will leave at that....most New Yorkers dont talk about it at all. Its a suppressed memory at this point and for me also.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

And Noam Chomsky (the debunked 'millennials' educationalist and master of media self-promotion) is relevant... how?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I was in my little mining camp at Lightning Ridge. The call came about 05.00 and i started teh generator and put the tv on. i just could not take it in for 3 hours.

RIP the victims and survivors, never expected I would witness an event that eclipses Pearl Harbor in the American Psyche.

Australia got a little taste in the Bali bombings. Seems to have hardened attitudes in Canberra.

Prime Minister Abbot ( to use a polite name for him )moved us into the top threat rating today, though no specific threat.

But all politicians love a containable war. Helps them in the polls ya know?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

frank lee bent wrote:Australia got a little taste in the Bali bombings.
Another story for another time but if you want to talk real conspiracy theories there's a direct link between the Bali bombing (the restaurant owner had just started a new island hopper airline between WA mining boomtowns and Bali) and a certain big brand Australian airline that didn't like their monopoly being broken at law. There's a reason Richard Branson bought this route and continues to run it at a loss.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

The only major question was the van stopped on G.W bridge at night. Not a word about the van besides some jew conspiracy that Im not falling for.

I remember that day pretty well....Oh yes the van on bridge wtf was that about.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic