Microfinance updates?

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: Microfinance updates?

Post by truffledog »

pczz wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:49 am
Prasac has been on the way to becoming a bank since the dinosaurs were hereso don't hold your breath.
I am sure some people do borrow to buy Iphones but generally that would be from a moneylender. Too much paperwork with microfinance. Certainly in some places thevilage chief has to sign off on the lon andhe knows who is finacially imprudent. land is not a terribly good asset most of the tie in Cambodia because it takes along time to sell. The valuaton would ususally be under 50%. The interest rates may seem high to you, but look at what you pay your creditcard forthe convenience of instant purchasing power, way more than 18% i bet. Andits all relative. Mortgages andbank loans are also more expensive in Cambodia so the difference between mcrofinanace and bank is less. As I said before most of the loans are small and shor suration . This meanstheadmin costs of setting up the loan are higher as a percentage. if you just borrow $100 theyhavedo the same work as if you borrow $5,000 and until failry recently the agents had o go round and collect the money, and that costs also. I think it is hard not to try and apply western standards if you are western, but they do work here as you wil find out when you start racking up a few years mixing with the locals
I do get your point about higher costs involved in small credits and collection of money that costs too but we are talking about microfinance and not about commercial lending at local market rates/conditions. I would like to repeat that the microfinance was originally meant to help the poor with affordable financing and not to generate huge profits for the mircofinance institutions. 18% charged is NOT a microfinance rate (following the original idea) but a commercial rate (following the principle of creating max return) for a NORMAL COMMERCIAL credit IMHO.

Generally speaking a DEDICATED Microfinance instution should be able to finance itself on the global market at reduced interets rates (there are a LOT of funds that do exactly this, Credit Suisse only has 3 billion $ lent on a philantropic base) so therefore reducing the FINAL interest rate charged to the borrowers. So if a local MIF finances itself by issuing bonds at 8.5% it is clear that:

1) it wont be able to charge low interest fees on the other end
2) it is NOT a microfinance institution by definition but a standard commercial BANK (IN THE DRESS OF A MIF) lending at local market rates and intending to maximise profits

If you take out the 5-6 % that is paid too much (in funding) that reduces the resulting interest rate by more than a third thus leaving more money in the hands of the borrowers. Nobody would argue that 1$ more in the hand of a poor cambodian farmer is worth 1000 times the dollar left in the pockets of the rich.
work is for people who cant find truffles
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Note how the 8% harvesters so often use the drug dealers defence.

Why don't they just be honest about it and say
I don't have bad morals about how i "earn" my money
I just have no morals about it.
Hey, bottom line, 8% is 8%
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

truffledog wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:54 pm
pczz wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:49 am
Prasac has been on the way to becoming a bank since the dinosaurs were hereso don't hold your breath.
I am sure some people do borrow to buy Iphones but generally that would be from a moneylender. Too much paperwork with microfinance. Certainly in some places thevilage chief has to sign off on the lon andhe knows who is finacially imprudent. land is not a terribly good asset most of the tie in Cambodia because it takes along time to sell. The valuaton would ususally be under 50%. The interest rates may seem high to you, but look at what you pay your creditcard forthe convenience of instant purchasing power, way more than 18% i bet. Andits all relative. Mortgages andbank loans are also more expensive in Cambodia so the difference between mcrofinanace and bank is less. As I said before most of the loans are small and shor suration . This meanstheadmin costs of setting up the loan are higher as a percentage. if you just borrow $100 theyhavedo the same work as if you borrow $5,000 and until failry recently the agents had o go round and collect the money, and that costs also. I think it is hard not to try and apply western standards if you are western, but they do work here as you wil find out when you start racking up a few years mixing with the locals
I do get your point about higher costs involved in small credits and collection of money that costs too but we are talking about microfinance and not about commercial lending at local market rates/conditions. I would like to repeat that the microfinance was originally meant to help the poor with affordable financing and not to generate huge profits for the mircofinance institutions. 18% charged is NOT a microfinance rate (following the original idea) but a commercial rate (following the principle of creating max return) for a NORMAL COMMERCIAL credit IMHO.

Generally speaking a DEDICATED Microfinance instution should be able to finance itself on the global market at reduced interets rates (there are a LOT of funds that do exactly this, Credit Suisse only has 3 billion $ lent on a philantropic base) so therefore reducing the FINAL interest rate charged to the borrowers. So if a local MIF finances itself by issuing bonds at 8.5% it is clear that:

1) it wont be able to charge low interest fees on the other end
2) it is NOT a microfinance institution by definition but a standard commercial BANK (IN THE DRESS OF A MIF) lending at local market rates and intending to maximise profits

If you take out the 5-6 % that is paid too much (in funding) that reduces the resulting interest rate by more than a third thus leaving more money in the hands of the borrowers. Nobody would argue that 1$ more in the hand of a poor cambodian farmer is worth 1000 times the dollar left in the pockets of the rich.
You are assuming that 18% is something new. it is considerably lower thatn it used to. A few years ago the Prime Minister reduced the rate which was up to 24%. the result was that interest rates for depositors fell from 10% to 8% or less. This led to a tighteneing of loan criterai locking some people out of the market. I would like to point out that many people in the west are unable to access unsecured loans, becasue the criterai are so high and they are pushed to illegal money lenders. Pay day loan companies were charging up to 1000% interest. If the interest rate is reduced, then the foreign money that funds these institutions will disappear. By the time you pay to transfer your money into cambodia and get it out again theprofit may not be worth the risk. In my case I puled my money last year as it was generally acceted that the dollar would fall by up to 10% this year (something currently waiting on the end of corona virus. Earning 8% is useless if the currency falls by 10%.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

"Banks called on to defer loans"

"Fourteen trade unions submitted a petition to the Council of Ministers and the Prime Minister’s Cabinet on Wednesday, requesting all banks and microfinance institutions (MFIs) to temporarily suspend repayments, including interest, for workers suffering financially during the Covid-19 pandemic."

"Acleda Bank Plc president and group managing director In Channy told The Post on Wednesday that all banks in Cambodia are following the directive of the National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) for settling debts, which includes not seizing workers’ assets during the pandemic."

Channy said: “The above-mentioned measures are adequate. I don’t think there is a need to send any petition to Prime Minister HE because we are following the NBC’s directive.”

Full story here.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... efer-loans
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

they need to be clear that interest during the period should be waived, not just tacked on to the principal

monstra mihi bona!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:36 pm they need to be clear that interest during the period should be waived, not just tacked on to the principal
Of course they will tack it on the principle. If you are late with the 'vig' it just gets added to the principle of the 'vig' gets increased. It's the way the Mob do it too. (Source: Sopranos!)
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Major change for PRASAC:

"PRASAC, the largest microfinance deposit-taking license institution with 25 years of experience in Cambodia financial market, announces a new majority shareholder from South Korea, KB Kookmin Bank.

KB Kookmin Bank, a leading commercial bank in South Korea, has successfully acquired 70 percent of PRASAC Microfinance on April 10, 2020. It allows PRASAC to become one of the subsidiaries of KB Financial Group. KB Kookmin also plans to incorporate the company as a wholly owned subsidiary when it acquires additional 30% of remaining shares in the future."
according to FreshNewsAsia (4/13/2020)

http://en.freshnewsasia.com/index.php/e ... 45-07.html
WineOxley
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by WineOxley »

Does anybody know about how microfinance loans are enforced?
Lands and cities are left astern,your faults will follow you whithersoever you travel.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Cleaned up some posts. On topic please in Cambodia.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

WineOxley wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:27 pm Does anybody know about how microfinance loans are enforced?
They're almost invariably tied to collateral which is taken by the MFI if the borrower cannot repay.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic