Phone and money stolen

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Phone and money stolen

Post by Arget »

Yep I know most of the rules but broke the major one in deciding to have a bit of fresh breeze while i slept.

I accept my stupidity and am just grateful that they were after just a quick haul and not into aggression or assault to get more.

my laptop is secured to the desk by a cable but did not look like it was touched.

I have been mugged on the street before and gave them what they wanted which was my phone and money. No phone or money is worth your life (they had a knife)

Who else is in the building. Well all the people who have the motor accessory shops live in the building and it is full of Khmer people. I am the only barang but I don't think anyone here did it. Others here have been robbed before. My place is the only one accessible through the ground floor door.

As I said I know this time of year is dodgy so should have been more on the ball.
I posted to remind people that even security conscious expats make mistakes and although I was robbed I was fortunate not to have my passport details and name on this site as another dead barang.

Take care all and be safe.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

keep a good fighting length pole near ur bed, just in case
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

I thought about setting up a blank IED type of thing that would fire off a simulator but then I would have to explain the bang to cops when they turned up.
Same as electrifying the door handle but then have to get rid of the body/

Thanks I do have an "item" that will allow me to protect myself because they will have to make a fair bit of noise to get in again and I know they will come back sometime hoping I buy a new phone and have more money about.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Whats also disturbing is that someone you regularly make eye contact with would know the other side of the story!
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Place an empty plastic water bottle horizontally on the door handle..difficult to see from outside, they turn the handle, the bottle drops, makes a hell of a noise
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

list of things ive had stolen from me over the years in SEA

-Ipod.

- samsung s6.

-all my clothes X2.

- lap top charger.

- phone chargers 7X

- 500$ canon video camera.

-portable DVD player.

- 60$ cash.

-samsung galaxy note 1

-nokia 3210 X2

-2 grams of weed.

- drivers licence and bank card.

- 60$ cash.

etc etc etc.

-1000 baht

-3000 baht

moral of the story is there is a lot of thieves in SEA.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Same happened to me in PP the very week the owner from Ginger Monkey was killed when he confronted such a thief (2005 maybe).
In my case I was stolen a wallet, phone and pair of shoes, next morning I found shited pants and a large box cutter on his balcony exit route.
Better not to wake up.
Last edited by Barang_doa_slae on Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:19 pm list of things ive had stolen from me over the years in SEA

-all my clothes X2.

You got good stories about that?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I had the exact same thing happened in 2007. It was pretty much the worst thing that ever happened for me here. I was living on one of those lane-ways off Sothearous near Wat Botum. I left the balcony door slightly open, and didn't really care because it looked impossible to climb up there anyway. When I woke up in the morning I was missing a $400 camera, two phones, a few hundred dollars and all sorts of other bits and pieces. What freaked me out the most was knowing that these robbers were within a very short distance from where myself and my partner were sleeping. I've always been a lot more careful since.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:38 pm
Beerinthemorning wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:19 pm list of things ive had stolen from me over the years in SEA

-all my clothes X2.

You got good stories about that?
I cant remember exactly but I rememebr been strung out of valium and a ladyboy being involved.

all I had was a pair of shorts , not even flip flops left.

must have been khao sarn rd in 2010, what a shit hole.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic