Adventure activities in Cambodia

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Adventure activities in Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Canoe and kayak trips are becoming popular with tourists.
This is only a suggestion (below) of what can be available, but you can also find many local operators in Kratie who can organize a half or full-day trip for you from your guesthouse.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:58 am Are there any laws about professional liability or indemnity anywhere in Cambodia?

At least there seems to be some semblance of safety features.
Sure. All pyloms and ropes have been inspected by the Kep building works safety inpectors
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Riding the wind: Kitesurfing takes off in Kampot’s coast
15 January 2020 | 21:19 ICT
A beach in Kampot overlooking Koh Tral (Vietnam’s Phu Quoc Island) and Bokor Mountain has become an unlikely tourist attraction after a kitesurfer found the windswept coast a perfect spot for the extreme sport.

Dutch national Frank van Zoggel, a resident of Cambodia for the past 15 years, has travelled to many coasts around the world for kitesurfing. But the Kep Thmey beach, located 8km from the Kampot town, tops his list of ideal kitesurfing places in the Kingdom.

“The water here is shallow, and therefore safe. You can almost walk to the boat, which is 100m from shore. I’ve kited before at Koh Rong Sanloem and in Sihanoukville but Kampot takes the top spot for me,” says Zoggel.

It was for this reason that he started Cambodia Kiteboarding in 2009 – a service that offers tutorial lessons and kitesurfing opportunities for tourists seeking adrenaline-fuelled adventures in Kampot.

“A great sport awaits tourists just 160km from Phnom Penh. We have people flying from Singapore, Thailand and other countries in Southeast Asia.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/travel/ri ... pots-coast
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:44 pm Canoe and kayak trips are becoming popular with tourists.
This is only a suggestion (below) of what can be available, but you can also find many local operators in Kratie who can organize a half or full-day trip for you from your guesthouse.
My (very fit) 60-ish aussie ex did the kayak thing in Kratie, and the standup paddle boarding in Kampot/Kep a few weeks ago.
Had a ball, saw great nature close up, and thought it was all well run. Cheap.
But not hard-core serious in any way. And crucially, no high qual info on what she was seeing.

If i could find someone to do the full biz part, (i have zero interest at this stage of my life) I would seriously consider a kayak/nature thing on the coast. Would only do hard-core, small parties, 3-5 day stuff.
I have certainly got the places, and the info, to make it unique. And the gab.

But you gotta go for the higher end market. The locals will race you to the bottom every time with backpacker deals.
Regional pricing is way way above Cambodian low level tourist stuff, but you gotta have something special.
Maybe it's time to start tapping this market. It's there.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Fed up with being confined ? This looks like fun.
Paddle boarding in Kampot gets you out and about, and still allows for social distancing.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:43 pm This looks like fun.
The best definition of adventure that i have come across..
"the adventure starts when the fun stops"
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Finished this series the other day.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Expat pair lays claim to record for fastest Oral Mountain climb
Hong Raksmey | Publication date 18 April 2022 | 20:29 ICT
Jacob Sims (left) and Julien Brewster reach the summit of Oral Mountain in two hours, 26 minutes and 36 seconds. SUPPLIED

After reading a newspaper article that claimed the record time for climbing Oral Mountain stood at three hours, 27 minutes and six seconds, an American and Australian duo decided to try and beat it as a gesture towards the revival of ecotourism in the Kingdom, which remains limited in the wake of the global Covid-19 pandemic.

Jacob Sims and Julien Brewster decided to challenge the climbing record together as a team, saying that it wasn’t a race or a competition.

On April 3, 2022, the pair began to climb Cambodia’s highest mountain at 5:55am and they reached its summit at 8:21am.

“We spent 2 hours, 26 minutes and 36 seconds climbing,” Sims told The Post. “Julien and I finished at the same time. We didn’t race each other, we worked as a team. Six of our friends from the same dormitory were waiting at the bottom of Oral Mountain to congratulate us.”

“We got the idea from our friend, Luke Weatherson, who found a news article about the old record and he told us that he thought we were too weak, fat and slow and that there was no way we could beat the record,” said Sims. “So we had to prove him wrong.”

Fred Zalokar, 59, and David Minetti, 42, are the pair of “international adventurers” who set the old record back on February 17, 2020, according to Zalokar’s website.

The account on the website says that they left Oral village around 1:45am to reach the established base camp at 225m elevation and began their climb around 3:00am. They summited Oral Mountain at around 6:30am.

The timing of their ascent was monitored by Jean-Benoît Lasselin, the president and founder of fashion brand Colorblind and others with a first checkpoint set-up at 1200m and a second at the summit to record the exact time of their arrival.

Though several climbing-speed records have been claimed on Oral it was C4 Adventures – a Cambodia-based tourism business and the organiser of the climb – that established the first claim to the record.

“Overall, starting from Oral village, David and Fred made a round trip of seven hours, 46 minutes and 14 seconds with an elevation gain of 2024m in total,” concluded Jean-Benoît Lasselin in prior media reports.

Two local guides from the Phnom Oral Tourism Community paced them for portions of the hike.

One of the two local guides – Vott Sar – started climbing with the two expats at the trailhead and paced them for the first 45 minutes before he had to slow down. Another local guide, Sambo Sar, met the adventurers at a higher checkpoint and kept pace with them for a ways further up the mountain.

“We also really want to help Chhim and his agency with publicity. Due to the Covid-19 downturn, local tour guide agencies have had a tough time making ends meet,” Sims said. “We hope that this record will elevate their profile and generate more business for the Oral Mountains tourism community.”

The trail to the top of the mountain is 10 km in length and ascends from 225m to 1813m. Beyond just the distance and vertical gain, it is made significantly more difficult by rough ground conditions and Cambodia’s weather, according to Sims.

“Heat and humidity are the primary factors. However, there are also sections of the trail which are very steep and require fixed ropes to ascend. Some parts are impassable due to fallen trees which requires some trailblazing,” he said.

He says it is also quite muddy and slick in some areas due to the weather, but he still feels that it’s a manageable hike for casual outdoor enthusiasts.

“There are two camps – one at 2 km and one at 7 km. Most groups choose to do the hike in two or three days and when broken up over a longer period of time it is quite manageable,” said Sims.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/travel/ex ... tain-climb

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Jacob and Julien on Oral Mountain.

Maybe that isn't Hollywood material, but I'm thinking Dirk Diggler material.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

My biggest fear about most of these "adventures" is that I am not sure if I trust them. I hope that they follow the model of making a quality experience and not be too cheap, so they are able to have repeat customers...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic