SIHANOUKVILLE OR PATTAYA

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Cambound
Tourist
Canada

SIHANOUKVILLE OR PATTAYA

Post by Cambound »

SIHANOUKVILLE OR PATTAYA ?

So at 53 I'm looking to relocate to either of the two above locations for a year or two. I did a three year stint in Sosua in the DR and a one year stint in Cabarete. So, I am quite familiar with "unique" living in tropical places. I am curious if many people on this forum have had experiences in both locales I indicated above for extended periods of time. My questions, thoughts, concerns are as follows:

Weather:
I have the ability to locate myself anywhere in SE Asia. With that, Has anyone ever chose to move north for the summer months where the weather had more sun and less rain. Has anyone ever experienced the dreaded summer months in both Thailand and Cambodia. What are the comparisons?

Transportation:
I am looking at either renting or purchasing a motorbike. I had one in the DR both times I was there... and it was very worth while. I understand there is a difference in licensing between the 2 countries. Comments? Dealerships?..."Im looking at a 250cc to 400cc enduro style.

Long Term Apt Rental Costs/Amenities: Budget 300.00 to 500.00 USD a month

With a motorbike, I dont need to be in the "Heart" of either of the two towns. A mile or 2 away from the "Hub" of the nightlife is fine by me. If "Im waterfront/beachfront, even better though. Suggestions?

A studio or 1 bedroom is adequate for me. A/C is an option, but a couple good ceiling/floor fans do wonders as well, in the living room and bedroom. I just need a simple kitchen and a queen bed. Second floor or higher would be preferred as security is always on our minds. The same goes for a secure location for my motorbike. It would be great to have abeach, market, grocery store or two close by, as well as a couple of restaurants/bars where a few expats hang out.

Cable/Internet/Consistant Electricity/Inverters: An Absolute Must ! !

"High Speed" wifi would be nice, but I understand those challenges. "Im a sports/news nut so the access to American channels is pretty important. My budget is 50.00 USD plus for these two important elements.

NIGHTLIFE:

If theres a couple of "Beer Bars" locally that would be a bonus. I do understand that I would have to venture into the main town for a better variety and some good times. I would probably want to bring back some "company" once in a while. The thought of dating a "goodgirl" also has seriously crossed my mind.

Any thoughts, ideas and comments on this ?

Employment/Business:

To kill some boredom, I would look at some part time or full time employment. I also have had many successful bars in Canada and also had a very busy one in the DR. I've made money in all of them.

I know the old saying of "how to make a million in a foreign country" ?..Bring 2 million ...lol

Thank you all for your time, comments and wisdom. Maybe we will have a beer together one day.

Will
kptic
Expatriate
Greece

Re: SIHANOUKVILLE OR PATTAYA

Post by kptic »

The fact that nobody has answered yet is a bit strange...

The fact that those are your top two pics for places to move is also a bit strange... :stir:
Cambound
Tourist
Canada

Post by Cambound »

Hi there.

I"m curious as to why those picks would be considered "strange". I've done a fair bit of reading on both locations and from what I"ve absorbed, Cambodia and S'ville would be a cheaper, less hectic version than that of Pattaya.

They are both ocean front and are a far distance from their respective capital cities that dont have ocean views.

Am I missing the boat here ?

If I am...let me know why?

Will
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

SV is currently a bulldozed construction site with sewage running down main streets,
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

frank lee bent wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:02 am SV is currently a bulldozed construction site with sewage running down main streets,
Ant that is the simplified, albeit accurate assessment of what's wrong with shitsville. I would suggest looking at Central or South America
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

ya, dont go there. it is fucked
you can scroll down here to see how fucked it is
https://www.facebook.com/groups/sihanoukvilleexpats/
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

outside Pattaya would work for u,the dark side or Jomtien beach.
forget part time work thou, strict laws, BUT visa wise, u can get a 1 year retirement extension for thailand as ur over 50
Long Term Apt Rental Costs/Amenities: Budget 300.00 to 500.00 USD a month
easy in both places but u will get a better place in Pattaya
Cambodia and S'ville would be a cheaper
except for drinking.... 90% incorrect, better bang for ur bucks in Thailand
They are both ocean front
Both are Gulf side not ocean
"High Speed" wifi would be nice

AIS fiber 100 mbs/40 mbs 899 baht plus a free tv play box with free tv.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

It's bad when it's a no-contest and Pattaya is the winner.

Try Jomtien, a few km south of Pattaya, or Bang Saen beach, a little further north of Pattaya, maybe 20km?
Cambound
Tourist
Canada

Post by Cambound »

Thank you all for your responses to date.

It already looks like my mind is made up.

Next step........apt hunting.

I was looking for a place within a shorter radius of 1 to 3 miles from the heart of pattaya night life.

With a motor bike doing 40 mph perhaps 5 miles plus could also make sense.???

Is anyone staying in such a complex that fits the criteria?,,,,,

Cheers

Will
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

tons of high rise condos in Jomtien, a 5-8 min motorbike ride, ( at 30kms /hour) from Walking street. Just go, rent a room and look. forget online.
BEFORE you go, apply for A Non immigrant visa, ( valid for 90 day stay) for reason of being over 50)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic