Uninsured Brit on a moto hit by car faces massive medical bills

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Uninsured Brit on a moto hit by car faces massive medical bills

Post by Arget »

the direction of traffic says that sounds logical
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

I feel for the guy, if you on a short trip, getting full inc moto riding insurance before you travel a must!. But try getting long term insurance, the cost is astronomical!. It would beore than half of what I get from my UK property that funds my stay. Getting rear ended is something you can't see coming, or to maneuver out of.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

at stoplights, ( when they are orange), I ALWAYS look in my rear view mirror BEFORE i decide to stop or not,
some of those guys will haul ass when they see orange..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

And so it goes on.
British Man has Leg Amputated after Being Dragged Under Transport Truck in Central Thailand
23 march 2018
Harry Buster, 29, from London, has lost his leg after he collided with lorry in Kancahanaburi, west Thailand, and was dragged under the vehicle for nearly 50 feet.
- A 29 year-old British man has had his right leg amputated and is fighting for his life after a horror motorbike crash in Kancahanaburi Thailand.

Harry Buster, 29, a bartender from London, collided with lorry and was dragged under the vehicles for nearly 50 feet, suffering serious injuries.

Mr Buster has lost his leg from the knee down and medics in Kancahanaburi, west Thailand, are now preparing to remove everything below the hip due to the severe damage.
He also suffered a shattered pelvis, broken ribs, internal bleeding on his liver, kidneys and lungs and currently has a 50 per cent chance of survival

Mr Buster’s friend James Bailey, 43, has launched a funding campaign to pay for his medical bills, which – as Mr Buster did not have travel insurance – are estimated to more than £23,000.
http://www.chiangraitimes.com/british-m ... iland.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

I’d never advise anyone who doesn’t ride a scooter or moto in their own country to ride here.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

Mr Buster has lost his leg from the knee down and medics in Kancahanaburi, west Thailand, are now preparing to remove everything below the hip due to the severe damage.
He also suffered a shattered pelvis, broken ribs, internal bleeding on his liver, kidneys and lungs and currently has a 50 per cent chance of survival

Mr Buster’s friend James Bailey, 43, has launched a funding campaign to pay for his medical bills, which – as Mr Buster did not have travel insurance – are estimated to more than £23,000.
Well, considering his long list of injuries, £23,000 sounds a bargain!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Kuroneko wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:45 pm A father-of-six is in an induced coma after he was hit by a car while in Thailand. Mark Haley, 55, from Borehamwood, was travelling on a moped yesterday in Hua Hin, Phetchaburi, when he was struck from behind by a car.

He has been in Thailand on holiday for three weeks visiting friends but took out no travel insurance for the trip. The hospital he is currently at does not provide the treatment that he needs. http://www.borehamwoodtimes.co.uk/news/ ... h/?ref=rss

Why? I can understand a young penniless backpacker who is traveling for an extended period risking being uninsured, it goes with the stupidity of youth. But for a mature father of six who is on a short holiday risking it, and putting all his family at financial risk for just a few pounds!

Make a memorable trip to Thailand with a great value travel insurance policy starting from just £23.50* to cover your worldwide travel

Choosing your insurance provider

Getting cover for your trip to Thailand need not be expensive or stressful. The three levels of Holiday Extras protection allow you to pick up just the right amount of cover:

Basic cover provides £500 of cancellation cover per person, £1 million for medical costs, and £1,500 for baggage.
Standard cover includes cancellation costs of £1,000 per person, medical cover of £2 million and baggage cover at £1,500.
Premium cover increases your medical protection to £5 million, cancellation cover to £5,000 per person, and offers £1,500 of baggage cover.https://www.holidayextras.co.uk/travel- ... iland.html
i take multiple country long stay insurance out to cover me for 6-8 months in Cambodia and Thailand and usually comes to around the £70, it covers you for riding a motorbike too (as long as you was wearing a helmet and sober)
i use Alpha Travel Insurance
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic