Taste of the Middle East 2

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Taste of the Middle East 2

Post by newkidontheblock »

Searched around for this place after the thread about the Naruu refugee who settled in Srok Khmer. It’s about 10 minutes away from Tuol Sleng, not quite a simple walk, but pretty good.

Came in on an afternoon, only customers. Usually means either to food will be freshly prepared or leftovers. Had a front end with table and chairs, a back end with floor seating on large cushions and low table. Opted for the low seating. The place bills itself as Iraqi cuisine, so the food might be different from other restaurants.

Greeted with complimentary lentil soup and bottled water.

The lentils where pounded into a paste and cooked into soup. Different, I liked it.

Next ordered the hummus and chicken shawarma wrap.

The hummus came with a beautiful presentation, mixed greens, some kind of sauce, and thin large single layer pita bread.

Sharma wrap had chicken and greens and sauce and wrapped in the same kind of bread.

Hummus with all the sauce, greens, and bread was excellent. The shawarma wrap was also very good, but the chicken tasted fried and a little too salty for me. But still good.

The ultimate test was that the missus actually took quite a few bites of both. I still had to bring her to a papaya salad place afterwards so she would be full.

As a previous poster mentioned, the place for middle eastern fix. Had photos of some dishes that weren’t listen on the menu.

Maybe a return trips in the future.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Taste of the Middle East 2

Post by epidemiks »

newkidontheblock wrote:Searched around for this place after the thread about the Naruu refugee who settled in Srok Khmer. It’s about 10 minutes away from Tuol Sleng, not quite a simple walk, but pretty good.

Came in on an afternoon, only customers. Usually means either to food will be freshly prepared or leftovers. Had a front end with table and chairs, a back end with floor seating on large cushions and low table. Opted for the low seating. The place bills itself as Iraqi cuisine, so the food might be different from other restaurants.

Greeted with complimentary lentil soup and bottled water.

The lentils where pounded into a paste and cooked into soup. Different, I liked it.

Next ordered the hummus and chicken shawarma wrap.

The hummus came with a beautiful presentation, mixed greens, some kind of sauce, and thin large single layer pita bread.

Sharma wrap had chicken and greens and sauce and wrapped in the same kind of bread.

Hummus with all the sauce, greens, and bread was excellent. The shawarma wrap was also very good, but the chicken tasted fried and a little too salty for me. But still good.

The ultimate test was that the missus actually took quite a few bites of both. I still had to bring her to a papaya salad place afterwards so she would be full.

As a previous poster mentioned, the place for middle eastern fix. Had photos of some dishes that weren’t listen on the menu.

Maybe a return trips in the future.
Have been meaning to test out the new branch.

The Nauru refugee is a Syrian guy that runs Middle East Feast on 308, but this family is Iraqi iirc

Babylon next to Toul Sleng is worth a look, also Iraqi
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Taste of the Middle East 1 & 2 are owned by a family that made their way here from Fallujah, Iraq...not the refugee from Nauru.

Be careful of the psycho Husky who lives a couple doors down from Middle East 2 but roams the streets, especially at night, next to that non-meat eaters place Vibe, has attacked a few people recently, local owners have no idea how to care for, treat or train their dog and take no responsibility for its actions.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Will try to check out Babylon on the next go around. Will be another treat for myself, and reward the missus for tolerating the food afterwards. Thanks for the advice on the psycho husky dog.

Anyways, now off to Oishii buffet as her reward for putting up with middle eastern food.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

You living here full time now New Kid? Married Birdy yet?
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

Been there a few times. Always nice food, good service and a good deal on the falafel wraps. The Babylon is good too, fancy restaurant but twice annoyed by their idiot wait staff, so I haven't been back. Maybe OK for takeaways though.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

good luck to them. they will need it.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

Heng Heng Heng wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:58 am Been there a few times. Always nice food, good service and a good deal on the falafel wraps. The Babylon is good too, fancy restaurant but twice annoyed by their idiot wait staff, so I haven't been back. Maybe OK for takeaways though.
Replying to myself. I went back to the Babylon today. The Khmer waiters had thankfully gone. I was served by an Iraqi woman. (very long eyelashes). She brought me tea while I waited for a couple of falafel wraps @ $1.50 each! Really good too. I'll certainly be back for lunch.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Heng Heng Heng wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:59 pm I went back to the Babylon today. The Khmer waiters had thankfully gone. I was served by an Iraqi woman. (very long eyelashes).
Did you get humped?

Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

I didn't get that. Maybe that's extra. Similar eyes though. No mustache either.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic