Singer Kak Channthy (Cambodian Space Project) in fatal road accident

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Re: Singer Kak Channthy (Cambodian Space Project) in fatal road accident

Post by Barang chgout »

Anchor Moy wrote:
General Mackevili wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:05 am
atst wrote:Any information about the funeral?
Nothing on their Facebook page.
I expect there will be a private Buddhist ceremony at her family home town this week.
Thoughts and sympathy to everyone.
Yes it will be in Prey Veng this week.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Firefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Firefly »

I understand the funeral is Thursday in PV. I believe some buses maybe arranged for those wishing to go. Some further info may reach us re those details today.
'What matters most is how well you walk through the fire.' Charles Bukowski
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Yes Thursday.

Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Seasquatch »

This really bums me out , was looking forward to a catching a show one day as I really dig their music. RIP
------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
Anneal
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Anneal »

Khmerican wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:11 am
sousadeyy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:43 pm Thought it would be an apt time to ask, as I am sure many people would like to see it too,

Does anybody know where its possible to view the documentary about Channthy? 'Rocking Cambodia: Rise of a Pop Diva' Can't seem to find it anywhere online!
https://torrentz2.eu/ac19a8362f4934c33c ... 9fe50eafd2
I watched this last night, very good documentary, but hard to watch knowing how the story ultimately ends.

I didn't think I would depress myself this much while researching a vacation.

Thanks again for sharing.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Kak Channthy: The Cambodian Space Project and a rock revival
By Andreas Illmer BBC News
21 March 2018
Cambodian singer Kak Channthy rose from poverty to perform in front of audiences worldwide.
Dubbed Cambodia's Amy Winehouse, she was the voice and face of a revival of the legendary 1960s rock scene that swept the country pre-genocide.

Her band, the Cambodian Space Project, became one of the few Cambodian rock bands to make it overseas.

Her death on Tuesday, in a car crash at the age of 38, has moved her fans around the globe.

"She was a Cambodian hero and now, so sadly, a legend of her people and her time," the band's co-founder and ex-husband Julien Poulson told the BBC.
"Her music, her voice, her life and her story have touched so many people from many different walks of life and from all around the word."

Kak Channthy came from a poor family in rural Cambodia and much of her story is that of the typical journey of a poor girl moving from the countryside to the city.

In Phnom Penh, she worked in a long line of tough jobs, earning in some cases less than a dollar a day.

"I was singing in a karaoke bar but in 2006 I wanted to have a go at singing professionally," she told the BBC in a 2017 interview.

"So I asked the boss of one beer garden to let me sing in front of him. But I was so nervous I dropped the microphone! Fortunately that day the boss accepted me and decided to hire me and I got paid $2 a day."

That's where she was spotted by Australian musician Julien Poulson and the two went on to form Cambodian Space Project.

"Channthy was inspired by the great Cambodian singers of the 1960s," Scott Bywater who played with her in the band as well as on side projects, told the BBC.

"In turn, she has been an inspiration to a new generation of Cambodian singers, excited by her revival of the music of their grandparents."...
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-43482011
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Channty Winehouse was what Julian used to call her when they were splitting up.... lovely to see that one stuck.

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The driver of the car that hit the tuk-tuk, Noun Sreynich, 21, stayed at the scene of the crash and was also recorded by TVFB as she described what happened.

“I drove a bit fast, but I had priority with the greenlight and I drove on the road normally while they had a red light, but they did not stop,” Ms Sreynich said in the video. “We have a camera in our car, it can be checked. If I had done something wrong, I would have run away.”
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/50115088/fa ... -in-crash/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

There’s more chance the TukTuk driver fucking up than a car driver.

Doesn’t matter now anyway. Damage has been done.
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 135 »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:32 am
If I had done something wrong, I would have run away.”
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/50115088/fa ... -in-crash/
Well at least she's honest. Check the mirrors for a growing mob and pedal to the metal.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic