Where can I find Pita in Phnom Penh or Kampot?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Where can I find Pita?

Post by whiteribbon »

Thanks for the replies,

was getting confused so did a quick search and learned that doner and gyros is the same: thinly sliced meat from a vertical grill.
Shawarma is also the same but cut more thick. Kebab just means grilled meat. Apparently in Turkey they serve it with rice or on bread.

So the pictures of the Belgian place I posted is actually Shoarma served in a pita bread.
I'll check some of the recommended places out soon and report back when I remember it.
just noise, white noise
james1234
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by james1234 »

I am a big fan of gyros /shoarma /durum / pita etc etc etc. I ate it all over the world.
It is an middle eastern dish but made in many different ways and witth different kind of meat (sheep, lamb, chicken), sauces and bread.
The weird thing is that the names often developed per country.
In Germany it is Gyros (which can be Greek too) and sometimes kebab. It is mostly served in big Turkish breads.
In The Nederlands is was called Shoarma in the 80's and served in pitta bread. Now in the Netherlands is is more sold as Durum and this is the meat served in a Turkish Pizza or Durum bread, like a flat pancake.
In Belgium they offer mostly durum (served in a pancake) or as kebab in a Turkish bread
In Greece, Rhodos etc, they serve it in a smaller, thicker pancake
In Dubay the served also it in a smaller, thicker pancake
In SR I had a great one on the night market! smaller, thicker pancake. 2$ great taste, not so much meat.

So many many different varieties, depending on the seller being from Greek, Turkish, Egypt. Lebanese or other origin. It also depends on what the wholesalers offer. Mostly the stacks with meat are prepared by wholesalers.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

In Germany it is Doner Kebab and has become the national food. Gyros is sold in Greek restaurants.
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Borum-Ex frm TOForum »

hanno wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:27 am In Germany it is Doner Kebab and has become the national food. Gyros is sold in Greek restaurants.
What happened to knüdeln, kartoffln, zwiebeln sauce und bratwurst????
I actually don't give a flying fuck, furthermore nice to meet you all here! :thumb:
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Borum-Ex frm TOForum wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:46 am
hanno wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:27 am In Germany it is Doner Kebab and has become the national food. Gyros is sold in Greek restaurants.
Still got those but you can hardly walk 10 meters without coming across a Doner Kebab stall.
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Borum-Ex frm TOForum »

hanno wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:25 am
Borum-Ex frm TOForum wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:46 am
Still got those but you can hardly walk 10 meters without coming across a Doner Kebab stall.
I know mate, have been working in Bavaria and Pottsdamm before, Bavaria was great for delicious gain!
I actually don't give a flying fuck, furthermore nice to meet you all here! :thumb:
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

hanno wrote:
rogerrabbit wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:57 pm
whiteribbon wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:32 pm Don't know the English name for this kind of fast food, but in my birth country it's just called a Pitta and you can find it on every corner, usually served with loads of garlic sauce and a bit of salad. Had a craving for it since a couple of days but a quick google didn't deliver me any results. Any idea where I can find this in PP or Kampot?
It's called döner kebab (turkish version) or gyro (greek version) usually. Unfortunately I haven't found a proper pita place in Cambodia yet.

hanno wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:37 pm Hummus House in PP: https://www.facebook.com/hummushousecambodia/
I'm pretty sure Hummus doesn't have pita breads. They only do flat bread shawarmas, which is not exactly what the OP is looking for.
Looks like pita to me:

I think it's Saj bread (mentioned on their FB page, which is an improvement over store bought wrap (but different than Pita).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk
james1234
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by james1234 »

Unread post by hanno » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:27 am

In Germany it is Doner Kebab and has become the national food. Gyros is sold in Greek restaurants.
Du hast recht! Schmeckt aber beide super!
Makewa
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Where can I find Pita in Phnom Penh or Kampot?

Post by Makewa »

There's a place on 136 between 5 and 13. Turkish Kitchen. Posts on Facebook, Phnom Penh Restaurants Bars etc group.

There was a restaurant on Sisowath north of 106 (Night Market) called Hummus House that was OK, but haven't checked on it in 9 months. Might be gone.
Ditto.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Where can I find Pita in Phnom Penh or Kampot?

Post by BklynBoy »

Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic