The Facebook-Cambridge Analytica Data Scandal

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: The Facebook-Cambridge Analytica Data Scandal

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

The thing is that FB is forever and your data lives on. How many FB users are between the ages of 13-18 ? How many were minors when they signed up, but are now adult ? And don' t tell me that FB would NEVER collect data or info on minors.
We can laugh about how stupid people are to give away so much of their private data (and I do), but FB has the means to collect information and photos of minors, their families and friends. This is information given by people who have not reached the age of consent.

Not to mention the parents who post their kids' entire lives on FB. The kids get no say at all about this. I would have sued mine if they had done that to me. :assasin:

In a tinfoil world, people could be monitored and their lives influenced by a giant world computer from childhood to grave. We are almost there.
Must be time to watch the Truman Show again. :voilent4:
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I think the issue (for most people) is not the fact Facebook was using their data (for some reason some people think this is bad and they deserved to be laughed at), the outrage over this is the fact a single person taking an online “quiz” was giving permission for that app to use not only their data but their friends data as well.

Your information could have been shared through no fault of your own. This is what is causing the majority of the uproar IMHO.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

johnny lightning wrote:And now they want Zuckerburg to testify about this in both the US and UK. Really? What is he supposed to say? Sorry but people are even stupider than I thought? As Mackevili said, it's all voluntary. I frankly don't understand why everyone's knickers are in a twist over this. Anyone who signs up for any of this social media crap can expect anyone and everyone to know all about them. I assume from the get go that any post, email, text etc to be public. Anyone who thinks otherwise should give their head a shake.

BTW keep on using Facebook. Use it more and more. I own shares up 800% until a few days ago. Let's get that back up shall we?

Johnny
That.
kiwiincambodia wrote:Image
Haha, that!
Anchor Moy wrote:The thing is that FB is forever and your data lives on. How many FB users are between the ages of 13-18 ? How many were minors when they signed up, but are now adult ? And don' t tell me that FB would NEVER collect data or info on minors.
We can laugh about how stupid people are to give away so much of their private data (and I do), but FB has the means to collect information and photos of minors, their families and friends. This is information given by people who have not reached the age of consent.

Not to mention the parents who post their kids' entire lives on FB. The kids get no say at all about this. I would have sued mine if they had done that to me. :assasin:

In a tinfoil world, people could be monitored and their lives influenced by a giant world computer from childhood to grave. We are almost there.
Must be time to watch the Truman Show again. :voilent4:
And that.
kiwiincambodia wrote:I think the issue (for most people) is not the fact Facebook was using their data (for some reason some people think this is bad and they deserved to be laughed at), the outrage over this is the fact a single person taking an online “quiz” was giving permission for that app to use not only their data but their friends data as well.

Your information could have been shared through no fault of your own. This is what is causing the majority of the uproar IMHO.
Good point. Do we know EXACTLY what data was breached?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

General Mackevili wrote:
kiwiincambodia wrote:I think the issue (for most people) is not the fact Facebook was using their data (for some reason some people think this is bad and they deserved to be laughed at), the outrage over this is the fact a single person taking an online “quiz” was giving permission for that app to use not only their data but their friends data as well.

Good point. Do we know EXACTLY what data was breached?
Not yet.

Zuckerberg said on CNN today that they are conducting a full audit (hahahahahaha like this is needed, they knew about the breach 2 YEARS ago so would have a pretty good idea of what and who was compromised) and will inform anyone whose data was breached.

My guess is they got hold of the usual data, location, likes, interests etc.

From what I have heard about it they were using it to create voter profiles so it would need to be data in what interests you and what gets you commenting so they could get a decent picture of the person and what would influence them.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Haha, what a mess.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Breach? What breach? They knew full well what they were doing.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

timmydownawell wrote:Breach? What breach? They knew full well what they were doing.
Yes and no

They knew what the app was doing for sure but this was supposed to be for academic purposes, university studies and what not, in no way did they know that information / data was being on sold to another party (so they claim and I tend to believe them, only because they probably would have sold it themselves for the money and done a better job of hiding it.)

Just to keep it in context, I am talking of this latest report about Cambridge analytica. I am 99% certain Facebook have sold user data to 3rd parties and governments already in the past multiple times for a magnitude of reasons, hence my argument above. The data is what makes the company worth anything, the selling of the data (mainly to advertisers) is what allows users the access the site for free and how Facebook make money.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

how is this any difference from yesteryear when surveyors takes down ur particulars using paper forms and selling it telemarketers or tv / print media spouting propaganda news to influence what ever agenda they r committed to, just that now the data is quantifiable and given freely by individuals and pretended that it wont be use in any nefarious ways

same shit different day different methodology, just use what ever social media with ur eyes open
Last edited by bolueeleh on Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:43 pm
timmydownawell wrote:Breach? What breach? They knew full well what they were doing.
Yes and no

They knew what the app was doing for sure but this was supposed to be for academic purposes, university studies and what not, in no way did they know that information / data was being on sold to another party (so they claim and I tend to believe them, only because they probably would have sold it themselves for the money and done a better job of hiding it.)

Just to keep it in context, I am talking of this latest report about Cambridge analytica. I am 99% certain Facebook have sold user data to 3rd parties and governments already in the past multiple times for a magnitude of reasons, hence my argument above. The data is what makes the company worth anything, the selling of the data (mainly to advertisers) is what allows users the access the site for free and how Facebook make money.
Absolutely, but dressing this incident up as a "breach" is a bit rich. Once users' data is out of FB's hands it can be used by anyone for anything.

The biggest problem here, in my opinion, was that FB ever allowed users to give away other people's data, without their consent.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic