BREAKING NEWS: Australian "Bomb Expert" & Cambodian Soldier Killed in Russian Bomb Explosion at Shooting Range

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Australian "Bomb Expert" & Cambodian Soldier Killed in Russian Bomb Explosion at Shooting Range

Post by angkorjohn »

Borum-Ex frm TOForum wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:00 pm
frank lee bent wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:46 pm do they still really blow up cows with rpgs? or is it just an m79 grenade launcher?
i thought they stopped that a long time ago.

RIP to the casualties anyway
I got an invitation from one of the top contributors and authors from TOF, to like a fb group like that, i politely neglected. If themselves were standing as a target i might have liked the group, i don’t like shit like that, actually i have more empathy for animals than humans averagely spoken...

yeah sad news saw RIP to the deceased condolences to the family, and a speedy recovery to all survivors, really upsetting to see this.

on a different tangent following on from what Borum says the guy from the other site promoted there $100 for a grenade. guns i understand but who would let some pissed up backpacker near a grenade? Also saw animals up for killing for a price. You've gotta be one sick fucker to want to kill a defenseless animal for fun not food.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Australian "Bomb Expert" & Cambodian Soldier Killed in Russian Bomb Explosion at Shooting Range

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The accident was due to a land mine training exercise gone wrong according to this report from AP.

2 killed during land mine clearance training in Cambodia
By The Associated Press

SIEM REAP, Cambodia — Mar 15, 2018, 8:45 AM ET
A land mine exploded accidently during clearance training at a military base in western Cambodia on Thursday, killing two people, including an Australian trainer, and injuring three others, police said.

National police said the explosion occurred in Kampong Speu province when a soldier who was being trained mishandled a decades-old land mine that had been removed from the ground. They said a 45-year-old Australian trainer was killed and another 41-year-old Australian was wounded.

Police said one Cambodian soldier was killed and two others were injured.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

General Mackevili wrote:
Call me crazy, but I have a suspicion that this will likely be the Cambodian's fault, and the Australian was just nearby.
CEOCambodiaNews wrote:
National police said the explosion occurred in Kampong Speu province when a soldier who was being trained mishandled a decades-old land mine that had been removed from the ground.
I'm so racist (and right).
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Same thing happened a few years ago, trainer and a few charges got blown up.

Brave men, R.I.P
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

There are new pics on the Darknet forum showing the dead Australian up close, and you can see that his right side took most of the blast, with his right arm bandaged up. It also looks like he has several shrapnel wounds/holes on his right side, including in his arm and maybe his neck.

I'm guessing he we alive after the explosion, Amb they tried to bandage him up, but he didn't make it.

That sucks.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
(┛◉Д◉)┛
Expatriate
Barbados

Post by (┛◉Д◉)┛ »

the appropriate spin on this one is taking longer than usual to materialise
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Reading the initial reports, I suspected the Aussies may have been trainers/advisors from the ADF...but after seeing the pictures I highly doubt it.

If they were ADF trainers/advisors they would have been dressed appropriately in military uniform, not cargo shorts and sneakers. They would have been groomed to military standards also, the facial grooming could be explained if from an SF or Naval unit, but the long hair like the survivor has is a definite no-no.

It is also apparent from the deceaseds injuries, that he was not wearing any PPE, which if he was training people in UXO disposals, he would have been wearing as would the others.

It is possible they could be from a civilian organisation, ie. MAG, etc., but as I mentioned above it is obvious no PPE was been worn and even civilian org personnel wouldn't be stupid enough to be conducting training on live UXO without PPE.

I wonder, if these were a couple of tourists who had paid to go on a jolly and fire weapons, and stupidly disturbed a live UXO.

Of course, this is all speculation on my behalf, hopefully the media will clarify the details surrounding the incident.

Condolences to the deceaseds family, and hopefully the injured recover.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

This article puts a different spin on the event.

16 March 2018
- National police said the explosion occurred Thursday in Kampong Speu province when a soldier who was being trained mishandled a decades-old land mine that had been removed from the ground. They said a 45-year-old Australian was killed and another 41-year-old Australian was wounded.
Police said one Cambodian soldier was killed and two others were injured.

Police initially said the Australians were training the soldiers, but the Defense Ministry said that was not the case.

Ministry spokesman General Chhum Socheat said Friday that the Australians went to the military base after being invited by Cambodian soldiers who were their friends. He said the mine exploded after one of the Australians "played with it."

"We did not invite them to train our soldiers but they just visited their friends. But once they saw the mine, they picked it up and played with it before it exploded," he said.
http://amp.kentucky.com/news/nation-wor ... 60069.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

That report makes sense and confirms my suspicion.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I thought as much and just posted such in the darknet post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic