achtung- new visa rule!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: achtung- new visa rule!

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:38 pm
taabarang wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:23 pm
Pragmatist wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:45 am Just get my wp delivered yesterday by the niece of my wife ( who work at immigration ), told me he put freelancer as status , not really sure about how he apply and justify the freelance status, will ask him next time i see him. I did renew my 1 y visa like 1 month and half ago without wp, just a random employement letter provided by the niwce himself.
I don't know about other readers but I found your post a bit confusing. You introduce your post by talking about your wife's niece then use the pronoun "he". Are you confused about the gender of niece or did she become surgically altered to become a " he?"
Non native speaker is my guess.
yeah think hes just mixed up Nephew with Niece
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:37 pm In country 19 years now. I've had WPs for the past 10 or 11 years, and paid taxes. Now I'm not employed by anyone so want to try the freelancer route.

Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye . . . .
You are used to doing work permits then. This was posted on "Cambodia Visa and Work Permit Group". Came from "Expats network Cambodia".

Hope they don't mind me posting it here. The guy has done an excellent. job writing this up. Hope it helps on this forum.

Dorothée Etienne
13 hrs
WORK PERMIT GUIDE !!
Hello, I am independent designer, working as consultant for brands or NGO and I just get my work permit through the online process called FWCMS (Foreign Workers Centralized Management System). I am probably not the only service independent worker who wondered how this system worked and if it worked, hesitating to go through an agency but fearing surcharges ... etc. That is why I share here with you the different steps of the process in case it is useful for someone else.
TOTAL COST: $100 per year + $34 of online fees + $25 for medical check + $10 for a stamp on residential document = $169 for 1 year. (I get 2 years so $269)
TOTAL TIME: 1 month and half
-Step 1: Visit the FWCMS website page and clic on Self-employed > Register. You will arrive at a page that you will be able to fill once you have gathered all the documents you need. But is is useful to visit the page as you have for each requested document a picture sample. For that, clic on the red interrogative dot ?. and a small window appears.
- Step 2: Identify the basic elements you might already have in hands and the one you still miss.
You might already have the 3 information that are in your passport: the passport file (the page of the passport with your photo) + Visa and Arrival Immigration Stamp (the page of the passport with your first visa of 1 month already expired) + your Stay permit (in fact the page of your passport with your current valid visa)
You might miss: your physical aptitude certificate + your Residencial Certificate or Letter. (+ your picture).
As consultant or independent service worker with no physical business you do not need to provide a business certificate or taxe patent (issued by the General Department of Taxation, Ministry of Economy and Finance of Kingdom of Cambodia. ) Anyway, those two documents are optional. I personally do not have them.
-Step 3: Physical aptitude certificate. Even if some laboratory are validated by the Labor ministry, I advice to go to the official medical check at Labor Ministry itself as it is very simple. It is on the way of the airport. You have to bring a copy of your passport, 2 id pictures and 100.000 riels (=25 dollars but they do not accept dollars so change before coming in any gold shop of the town!). As soon you arrive at the gate, you just have to follow "Health check panels" that bring you down to one of the last building. One person at the entrance speaks english but then people are mainly speaking khmer. Anyway, nothing to understand, they indicate you the way by gesture. First, left hand they measure and weigh you. Then you go to the counter behind where you fill out a form and provide passport copy and pictures. Then you go to the door A where they take your blood pressure, examine your heart rate and ask you for your history of surgery. Then you go to the door B where they collect your blood in an... efficient way: a small notch and a drop of blood. No needles but a razor blade. It can be surprising. Then you go to the opposite right side of the floor to pay your certificate. They provide you a receipt/invoice with a date to come to pick your certificate. Count around 1 week of process.
When you come back, at the due day with your receipt, you can go straight to the outside counter on the left of the medical check building. They will provide you the stamped A4 you need saying you are able to work in Cambodia. (I really don't know what are the criteria and if some case of disease can block this authorization)
-Step 4: Your Residencial Certificate. While doing research I understood that it was necessary to go to the General department of immigration, located in front of the airport. I avoid you the round trip (that I did...) because it is not there to go but in his neighborhood police. The easiest is to ask to your owner. In my case, I has been with my owner to the head of my neighborhood. The man has the paper I had to fill in khmer with name (based on the pronunciation), info and picture. Then my owner went for me to the neighborhood police with this document and with a copy of my contract to get the official stamp. It cost me $10. No invoice for this payment. Apparently I am lucky. It can cost much more... On this step, my owner has been really helpful. I get my paper in the day.
-Step 5: Fill your online page on fwcms website page. Now you have all the documents in hands to apply, you just need to fill your online form and upload all your scans or clear picture of your document. Few tips on that step, in the order of the form:
Year: 2018. Even if thanks to your first expired visa you scan they will request you to pay for the previous years also.
C. Business info. As a name I put my own name as I do not "brand" my consulting service. Now it is written on my work permit employer: dorothee etienne.
Activity: I put other > then I write Design in the empty box.
Specific business activity: I ask the help of my khmer teacher (orkun neak kru!!) to translate those different options. There is some about fishery, agriculture, construction, hotels...etc. Appareantly as teacher you can select the M. Be careful their is two M. The second one is for Medecin. As consultant, service consultant, I select the O that is service for a person or for a community. Then I get a list choice for Specific business activity detail. I have the choice between 90/cleaning or 91/ activity in the community or 92/ activity of entertainment, culture and sport or 93/ service activities. I personally selected the 93.
Salary: As it is very not regular and not a mandatory info I do not fill it.
Current address: You might be able to get the full info from your owner or you can find your district code on a map. It is like a postcode in 5 numbers usually beginning by 12. Example, south of BKK3 is 12302.
Request for: I select 1 year. I was afraid you can buy for 2019 or 2020. And anyway, concerning past years, your Visa and Arrival Immigration Stamp provide the number of past year you should make up.
-Step 6: Submit ! If you haven't been to long to fill out everything it will work. Or... if as me you hesitate at each step you will have to fill it again and faster ;)
-Step 7: Conformation email. Check your email box, you will immediately get an email with this object: ពាក្យសុំ ៖ ប័ណ្ណការងារជនបរទេស / Foreing Work Permit Card saying "Your application is now in process and being reviewed. Upon completion of the review, you will receive another email informing you of the application's status."
-Step 8: One month later (I applied the 27th of april and get a new email on 25th of may) you get a new message with this objects: ការទូទាត់ទៅលើការចំណាយសេវាកម្មទៅលើការស្នើសុំប័ណ្ណការងារនិងសៀវភៅការងារជនបរទេស / Payment for the service fee of requesting foreign work permit and book. As all the info and objects are written in khmer, first I thought it was an advertising ! be careful ! don't through it as a spam! it is the announcement that "Your application is now been reviewed. So you need to pay the service fee by looking the following table and attachment for the detail of payment amount."
You just print the invoice provided and go to a Acleda desk with it to pay. In my case, I have to pay two years, 400.000 riels per year ($100) and 135,300 Riels of process to e-cambodia systeme and taxes. You get a text on your phone in the same time than the email.
-Step 9: Payment. Go to Acleda with your printed invoice, your passport and your cash. (you can proceed also online or by phone payment but I don't know how. I choose the old school way) You will fill out a blue receipt. The full amount is to be payed to the ministry of labor but surprisingly the "receiver name" is "work permit".
The time the women of my counter bring the money and come back, I get immediately a text from Acleda saying my payment has been well done. I was impress!
-Step 10: Few hours later in the day, I get a second text from FWCMS saying that my payment has been well received.
-Step 11: One week later (the 5th of june) I get a phone call from the delivery man to get my detailed address and to plan the delivery within the day
-Step 12: I get it ! With my picture, my name as company business (and not a hotel name that doesn't exist as it can happen sometime with malicious agencies. I saw it in already) I didn't get a card for the previous year such as an expired card. But this invoice conform I payed for both 2017 and 2018. Let's assume it is enought.
Hopefully you found all the info you need in this loooong but precise message. I wish it will help some of you in the process. And that it will work as easily as me. If you have some question do not hesitate to send me a PM.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Pragmatist
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pragmatist »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:49 pm
Username Taken wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:38 pm
taabarang wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:23 pm
Pragmatist wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:45 am Just get my wp delivered yesterday by the niece of my wife ( who work at immigration ), told me he put freelancer as status , not really sure about how he apply and justify the freelance status, will ask him next time i see him. I did renew my 1 y visa like 1 month and half ago without wp, just a random employement letter provided by the niwce himself.
I don't know about other readers but I found your post a bit confusing. You introduce your post by talking about your wife's niece then use the pronoun "he". Are you confused about the gender of niece or did she become surgically altered to become a " he?"
Non native speaker is my guess.
yeah think hes just mixed up Nephew with Niece
Yeah im not a native speaker, i speak froglish :D

It dont really change something about my post tho, his gender is pretty irrelevant to that case
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:50 am How to get your own WP.
That is perfect. Thanks AndyKK.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

A side-note to the excellent article above.

If you're applying for a work permit as a teacher, your letter of employment MUST be registered and stamped by the Ministry of Education. My application has been returned three times on this point. Previously, others have reported that you just keep submitting until someone let's it pass, but this requirement has been tightened up very recently. Apparently it's to stamp out fake documents submitted by people who aren't (gasp!) actually employed as teachers.

Oh, and your school must be registered with the Ministry, it's data populated in the online system, and the school must have the appropriate foreign employee quota permissions (which is checked by the system) - this is to weed out the "schools."
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
nocturn
Tourist
United States of America

Post by nocturn »

So a Russian Market lawyer might be out of a job?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:50 am
Hope they don't mind me posting it here. The guy has done an excellent. job writing this up. Hope it helps on this forum.
I know the person who made that very informative post. I can assure you that they are 100% a woman! :D
Silence, exile, and cunning.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:20 pm I know the person who made that very informative post. I can assure you that they are 100% a woman! :D
Sadly I'm not making this up, but the University of Queensland would have significantly penalised you academically for that gender statement. I was considering doing a doctoral degree at UQ, but not after this week's news.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

But calling her a guy would have been ok?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:49 pm But calling her a guy would have been ok?
Apparently it's now most Australian universities.
The University of Sydney claims it would prefer its students to just be grammatically incorrect over being politically incorrect.
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world/20 ... ities.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic