achtung- new visa rule!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: achtung- new visa rule!

Post by Username Taken »

finbar wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:47 pm
AndyKK wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:51 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:21 pm
finbar wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:17 pm Does the employment letter have to be stamped from a Cambodian registered company?
There's an option on the online WP application to get a "freelancer" WP, but if you also need a Cambodian-registered employer, that seems to be redundant?
You can only apply for a 'freelancer WP' if you do freelance work for Cambodian registered companies. If you do freelance work for non registered or foreign parties you are not eligible for a WP.

[edit]

at least this what the guy at the ministry told me in Jan / Feb.
Now you can apparently get a self-employed freelance work permit.
here: https://fwcms.mlvt.gov.kh/workers/self/register

But if you need an kh-registered employment letter, what's the point?
Seems there's still no solution for freelancers working for foreign clients, or remote workers (employed by foreign company, living in Cambodia).
Has anyone tried this? Registering as a Self-Employed Freelancer with international clients, (no local clients or locally registered companies).
Pragmatist
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pragmatist »

Just get my wp delivered yesterday by the niece of my wife ( who work at immigration ), told me he put freelancer as status , not really sure about how he apply and justify the freelance status, will ask him next time i see him. I did renew my 1 y visa like 1 month and half ago without wp, just a random employement letter provided by the niwce himself.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:10 am
finbar wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:47 pm
AndyKK wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:51 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:21 pm
finbar wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:17 pm Does the employment letter have to be stamped from a Cambodian registered company?
There's an option on the online WP application to get a "freelancer" WP, but if you also need a Cambodian-registered employer, that seems to be redundant?
You can only apply for a 'freelancer WP' if you do freelance work for Cambodian registered companies. If you do freelance work for non registered or foreign parties you are not eligible for a WP.

[edit]

at least this what the guy at the ministry told me in Jan / Feb.
Now you can apparently get a self-employed freelance work permit.
here: https://fwcms.mlvt.gov.kh/workers/self/register

But if you need an kh-registered employment letter, what's the point?
Seems there's still no solution for freelancers working for foreign clients, or remote workers (employed by foreign company, living in Cambodia).
Has anyone tried this? Registering as a Self-Employed Freelancer with international clients, (no local clients or locally registered companies).

As far as I know this can be done. Lucky Lucky is offering to do 'freelance' work permits. I think the process is only concerned about what your work encompasses, not who your clients are.

Because, along with a 'freelance' work permit, you will still need a letter of employment from a Cambodian company in order to get your visa extension.

Unless of course you elect to go the route of setting yourself up as a 'sole-proprietorship' business. Then I believe, after squaring yourself away with the relevant authorities, tax dept., etc. you won't need an employment letter to get your visa extension, just your business license / documents.

Can all be completed yourself here: https://www.fwcms.mlvt.gov.kh/

My info may be out of date though, I took a break from trying to keep up the various Bookface groups, it got to be like trying to eat a soup sandwich.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Thanks. Looks like a chat with Lucky Lucky and/or Call Kim might be the best bet. If it's necessary to go the business license route, then so be it.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Pragmatist wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:45 am Just get my wp delivered yesterday by the niece of my wife ( who work at immigration ), told me he put freelancer as status , not really sure about how he apply and justify the freelance status, will ask him next time i see him. I did renew my 1 y visa like 1 month and half ago without wp, just a random employement letter provided by the niwce himself.
I don't know about other readers but I found your post a bit confusing. You introduce your post by talking about your wife's niece then use the pronoun "he". Are you confused about the gender of niece or did she become surgically altered to become a " he?"
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:15 pm Thanks. Looks like a chat with Lucky Lucky and/or Call Kim might be the best bet. If it's necessary to go the business license route, then so be it.
Sounds like we're in similar boats.

I was at Lucky Lucky last week for other reasons and offhandedly asked about work permits. I noticed they had some info about it posted on the wall behind their desks.

She said that they only do 'freelance' work permits and asked what year my original visa was from and if I'd had a work permit yet from any previous year.

I've been here for a coon's age and never had a work permit. She quoted me $650 for the work permit. Which sounds like they are sticking to what I heard about the back-fines being capped at 5 years. (I've been here for almost 10)

It was nice to see that they were not trying to scam $900 bucks out of me for my entire amount of years in Country.

My only concern about Lucky Lucky is that doing a WP through them may make it difficult for you down the road if you want to renew yourself via the official website. Not sure though.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

In country 19 years now. I've had WPs for the past 10 or 11 years, and paid taxes. Now I'm not employed by anyone so want to try the freelancer route.

Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye . . . .
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

taabarang wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:23 pm
Pragmatist wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:45 am Just get my wp delivered yesterday by the niece of my wife ( who work at immigration ), told me he put freelancer as status , not really sure about how he apply and justify the freelance status, will ask him next time i see him. I did renew my 1 y visa like 1 month and half ago without wp, just a random employement letter provided by the niwce himself.
I don't know about other readers but I found your post a bit confusing. You introduce your post by talking about your wife's niece then use the pronoun "he". Are you confused about the gender of niece or did she become surgically altered to become a " he?"
Non native speaker is my guess.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:37 pm In country 19 years now. I've had WPs for the past 10 or 11 years, and paid taxes. Now I'm not employed by anyone so want to try the freelancer route.

Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye . . . .
Should be doable, just have a 'freelance' WP done up. But you'll still need an employment letter from a Cambodian company.

Not sure if you're a teacher, but I guess you could sign on part-time somewhere or sign on with one of the tutoring companies and be extremely part-time with just a handful of hours a week.

That should get you the employment letter.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:38 pm Non native speaker is my guess.
I thought that about phuketrichard for the longest time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic