American Fugitive JAN STERLING HAGEN Arrested Outside US Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Re: American Fugitive JAN STERLING HAGEN Arrested Outside US Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by OKW »

Three years of training and studies on the job in Germany. Twice a week on the shooting range, pistol, submachine gun and more depending on the branch. The involved law studies will give you two years of credit towards a law degree.
As a side note, a drivers license syllabus is a copy of the training required for a pilots license in the US. And almost cost as much.
Up until recently it was somewhat safe to drive on the autobahn with no speed limit. Just watch out for him who comes from abroad. Chances are that standards are not the same.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: American Fugitive JAN STERLING HAGEN Arrested Outside US Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by Cam Nivag »

OKW wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:03 pm Three years of training and studies on the job in Germany. Twice a week on the shooting range, pistol, submachine gun and more depending on the branch. The involved law studies will give you two years of credit towards a law degree.
As a side note, a drivers license syllabus is a copy of the training required for a pilots license in the US. And almost cost as much.
Up until recently it was somewhat safe to drive on the autobahn with no speed limit. Just watch out for him who comes from abroad. Chances are that standards are not the same.
What?
Feiendofafriend
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Feiendofafriend »

Cam Nivag wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:52 am You're slipping, GenMack.

Jan Sterling Hagen is from Kasilof, Alaska.

He was convicted of low level felony drug possession in 2010.

He was arrested for drug possession and DUI in February 2011.

Two months later, he was arrested for felony second degree sexual assault, kidnapping, burglary, and probation/parole violation. He plead guilty to the sexual assault and probation/parole violation charges. The other charges were dropped.

On October 24, 2012 he was sentenced on the drug, DUI, assault, and probation/parole violation charges. I can't see what the sentence was. He couldn't have been sentenced to more than two years in prison, because he got a traffic ticket for having a broken taillight in November, 2014.

In November 2016, Hagen was arrested for felony DUI with aggravation of having two or more prior convictions.

Alaska therefore reopened his assault case and drug possession case, because he had violated probation/parole on those cases. If, for example, he had received a suspended sentence on the assault/drug convictions, the state may be have been pursuing having him serve those prison terms that had been suspended.

The reopening of the court case has involved various legal hearings and ultimately a warrant was issued for his arrest in January 2018, possibly for skipping a court appearance.

SOURCE: https://records.courts.alaska.gov/eacce ... WEvJN5CAmQ (Click the "search cases" button at the bottom of the page and then on the next page enter Jan Hagen's name)
I'm related to this goober so I thought I would clear the air... I've seen a lot of misinformation on this forum and alot more straight up name calling which is fair, but I'll explain what occoured so you can decide for yourselves. I found this forum while looking for news to share with the rest of the family regarding this situation.

First let me say, He's not a criminal he's just a dumbass as will become clear. For background: The circumstances surrounding his sexual assult conviction were stautory he was 17, was involved with a 16 year old and her father pressed charges and him (dumbass) admitted to the police during interrogation that it was all true. The rest of it is more or less accurate lots of drugs, lots a booze.

Anyway,
The situation that landed him in Cambodia is both hysterical and sad. Let me back up to his probation you mentioned in 2016. He improved his circumstances, started working then meet a real peach of a lady they started dating, and less than 3 months before his two year probation ended, she got him back on drugs, then she convinced him it would be a great idea to steal all the money they could from their respective parents (hers are quite wealthy) and leave the country to start their lives over... him (remember, dumbass) thought that was a great idea. So they vanished to Cambodia, which they thought was a non extradition country, poof, they are gone. He was gracious enough to post his location on Facebook (double dumbass) and In order to prevent him from completely ruining his life his father flew to Cambodia, informed the U.S embassy of the situation who then worked with local law enforcement to set a trap, his father then searched the country until he found his son on a beach near the capital city, and tricked him into visiting the embassy over a problem with his passport(again, dumbass) where the police in the photos were waiting to arrest and immedietly deport him.

Now he's in prison for a long time... He's just a screwed up kid with alot of issues chief among which is his lack of any kind of judgement, nearly all of which are of his own stupid making... Feel free to ask any questions I'll answer as best I can.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

That's all pretty far out! What story did they tell him to get him back to the embassy?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Feiendofafriend wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:28 pm
Cam Nivag wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:52 am You're slipping, GenMack.

Jan Sterling Hagen is from Kasilof, Alaska.

He was convicted of low level felony drug possession in 2010.

He was arrested for drug possession and DUI in February 2011.

Two months later, he was arrested for felony second degree sexual assault, kidnapping, burglary, and probation/parole violation. He plead guilty to the sexual assault and probation/parole violation charges. The other charges were dropped.

On October 24, 2012 he was sentenced on the drug, DUI, assault, and probation/parole violation charges. I can't see what the sentence was. He couldn't have been sentenced to more than two years in prison, because he got a traffic ticket for having a broken taillight in November, 2014.

In November 2016, Hagen was arrested for felony DUI with aggravation of having two or more prior convictions.

Alaska therefore reopened his assault case and drug possession case, because he had violated probation/parole on those cases. If, for example, he had received a suspended sentence on the assault/drug convictions, the state may be have been pursuing having him serve those prison terms that had been suspended.

The reopening of the court case has involved various legal hearings and ultimately a warrant was issued for his arrest in January 2018, possibly for skipping a court appearance.

SOURCE: https://records.courts.alaska.gov/eacce ... WEvJN5CAmQ (Click the "search cases" button at the bottom of the page and then on the next page enter Jan Hagen's name)
I'm related to this goober so I thought I would clear the air... I've seen a lot of misinformation on this forum and alot more straight up name calling which is fair, but I'll explain what occoured so you can decide for yourselves. I found this forum while looking for news to share with the rest of the family regarding this situation.

First let me say, He's not a criminal he's just a dumbass as will become clear. For background: The circumstances surrounding his sexual assult conviction were stautory he was 17, was involved with a 16 year old and her father pressed charges and him (dumbass) admitted to the police during interrogation that it was all true. The rest of it is more or less accurate lots of drugs, lots a booze.

Anyway,
The situation that landed him in Cambodia is both hysterical and sad. Let me back up to his probation you mentioned in 2016. He improved his circumstances, started working then meet a real peach of a lady they started dating, and less than 3 months before his two year probation ended, she got him back on drugs, then she convinced him it would be a great idea to steal all the money they could from their respective parents (hers are quite wealthy) and leave the country to start their lives over... him (remember, dumbass) thought that was a great idea. So they vanished to Cambodia, which they thought was a non extradition country, poof, they are gone. He was gracious enough to post his location on Facebook (double dumbass) and In order to prevent him from completely ruining his life his father flew to Cambodia, informed the U.S embassy of the situation who then worked with local law enforcement to set a trap, his father then searched the country until he found his son on a beach near the capital city, and tricked him into visiting the embassy over a problem with his passport(again, dumbass) where the police in the photos were waiting to arrest and immedietly deport him.

Now he's in prison for a long time... He's just a screwed up kid with alot of issues chief among which is his lack of any kind of judgement, nearly all of which are of his own stupid making... Feel free to ask any questions I'll answer as best I can.
That's a great post, I just thought I should post it for posterity.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Feiendofafriend
Tourist
United States of America

General Mackevili wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:13 am That's all pretty far out! What story did they tell him to get him back to the embassy?
not sure if my response when through, so im trying again hopefully i dont double post lol

nothing super interesting to be honest, as far as i know his father told him he had to come to the embassy to fix his passport. hes pretty easily manipulated as im sure you gathered from the whole situation... he didnt think that they would be able to do anything since Cambodia doesn't extradite (or so he thought) and once he was on embassy property he was arrested by U.S. authorities and turned over to Cambodian immigration. they kept him in jail for a few days while working on his deportation paperwork then released him into his fathers custody to take back to the united states where Feds were waiting. like i said nothing super dramatic.

its hard for us not to laugh about the situation now, as much as we can with him sitting in a federal Prison anyway. The FBI didnt track him down, no CSI credit card tracking. he just posted his location on facebook and his father trying to rescue his kid from himself went and tracked him down. like i mentioned in the original post, he found him and his girlfriend sitting on a beach.
Stinkman
Expatriate

Post by Stinkman »

Feiendofafriend wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:28 pm First let me say, He's not a criminal he's just a dumbass as will become clear.
I seem to recall reading a very similar statement made in defense of another asshat not some time ago on here.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Great story. One could say a typically Cambodian story.
Feiendofafriend
Tourist
United States of America

Stinkman wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:47 am
Feiendofafriend wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:28 pm First let me say, He's not a criminal he's just a dumbass as will become clear.
I seem to recall reading a very similar statement made in defense of another asshat not some time ago on here.
I think you confuse defense with explanation. Trust me you won't find a single relative that is willing to defend his actions, but you can roll your eyes and smile at the situation because Jan really is just a baboon with a serious addiction problem. He's been a screw up since he was 12 and thought shooting a moose with a squirt gun would be funny, and it was up to the point that it nearly trampled him to death. Which is really an apt metaphor for his life choices. Funny, but stupid.

Not an excuse for his abhorrent behavior. Just an insiders perspective.
PhnomRon
Expatriate

Post by PhnomRon »

Feiendofafriend wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:28 pm
First let me say, He's not a criminal he's just a dumbass as will become clear. For background: The circumstances surrounding his sexual assult conviction were stautory he was 17, was involved with a 16 year old and her father pressed charges and him (dumbass) admitted to the police during interrogation that it was all true.
What is your basis for saying that? Were you present at the time of the sexual assault are are you just taking his word for it?

Every convicted child sex offender will say "Oh, it was a consensual relationship with a 16 year old when I was 17." It's rarely seldom the truth.

Here's the police report from Alaska. The incident happened when he was almost twenty one years old and does not describe a consensual relationship reported by an angry father.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic